Wingspan vs. Height Census

Alawyn-Aebt

Ape Index Census  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Ape Index

• Less
    • More

This poll is closed to new votes

Also known as the Ape Index, basically it is your wingspan divided by your height. 

Just generally curious as to if it seems to come out along a bell curve or not.

Wingspan... meaning the length from the tips of our left hand fingers to our right hand's?

3 minutes ago, SithGrinch said:

meaning the length from the tips of our left hand fingers to our right hand's?

Correct

17 minutes ago, SithGrinch said:

Wingspan... meaning the length from the tips of our left hand fingers to our right hand's?

Not sure how to measure that on my own. :P 

1 minute ago, daveb said:

Not sure how to measure that on my own. :P 

Maybe laying down on something you can write on and using a pencil to mark where your finger tips should be? Or put ink like stamp ink on your fingers to mark the ends down? Obviously this would require a giant sheet of paper so it's not exactly practical. 

everywhere and nowhere

I can't measure it alone, and I'm alone most of the time. But I measured it once, albeit many years ago (it may have even been before I finished growing, but I did very early - I reached my adult height at the age of 13 years) and it was slightly more than my height.

By the way, currently - due to the renovation of my apartment (most of my belongings are packed in boxes and I'm living in an apartment which belongs to my mom - the one where she used to live after my father's death and before she met her second husband; since then she has been renting it and now she made a break so that I could spend these ca. 2 months here) - I don't even have a tape measure.

I guess I didn't think of the practicality. I just took a tape measure and did it, but of course that assumes everyone has a tape measure, something I overlooked because I just took for granted everyone had at least one tape measure at their house at all times.

0.994 if I measured correctly. Guess I'm not gonna be a professional rock climber then? Tragic! :D

The norm is close to 1.00. Mine is 1.06, but that's symptomatic of IHH and abnormally low testosterone levels from adolescence

J. van Deijck

can't measure right now, but I know my wingspan is longer than my height.

I tried to measure, but being an elephant, I can't bend my arms like that :lol:

I tried to measure, too, but can't get a measurement accurate enough that I'd be able to answer the poll.

Measuring it myself, I got 167 cm in wingspan and my height is 170cm so 0.97 or so

• 3 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

How do you even count it properly? This is what I found on Wikipedia:

The ape index is usually defined as the ratio of arm span to height. However, an alternative approach is arm span minus height with the result being positive, 0 or negative. Unlike the unitless ratio, this calculation produces a numeric value in the units of measurement used to represent the height and arm span.

@Jelle van der Lee, for clinical purposes it's height is always 1, armspan is proportional to height 

Over the summer, I was at 6ft tall, with a 6ft 2in wingspan, but I have grown a lot over the school year. I am for sure around 6ft 1in, but IDK wingspan now. XD

• 11 months later...

@Alawyn-Aebt

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived