What would you do with a shorter work week?

Snao Cone

Custard Cream

I would devote time to art and craft pursuits, walking, writing, and all the other things its hard to fit into a 42.5 hour working week.

1 hour ago, Snaonderneath a Mistlecone said:

I wonder how many more people would be able to work full time within limitations (ability, family, etc) if we changed what full time is...and earnings from that were compatible with the cost of living. Social assistance programs in many jurisdictions seem to punish people with certain types of employment and disqualify them even though they don't make enough to get by. 

and there might be more jobs to go around as more people would need to be scheduled to do the same amount of work. the reverse of that coin however would be much higher cost of employment

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief
7 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

?

They use personality tests which it's been proven are harder for us to understand and pass, especially since many autistic people struggle to lie about such things. Not like we wouldn't also be separated out in standard irl interviews, but if they just stopped with the personality test rubbish it would be a little easier to get in.

Tbh my executive dysfunction and avoidance probably count against me more though.

Anthracite_Impreza
2 minutes ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

They use personality tests which it's been proven are harder for us to understand and pass, especially since many autistic people struggle to lie about such things. Not like we wouldn't also be separated out in standard irl interviews, but if they just stopped with the personality test rubbish it would be a little easier to get in.

Tbh my executive dysfunction and avoidance probably count against me more though.

Oh you mean the ones where you have to BS your way through and answer what they want regardless of the truth? Yes I hate those, I outright refuse on principle.

4 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Oh you mean the ones where you have to BS your way through and answer what they want regardless of the truth? Yes I hate those, I outright refuse on principle.

This was the ruling btw:

https://network.autism.org.uk/content/psychometric-test-ruled-discriminatory-autistic-candidate

Yeah I don't really know how well I'd do with them? I am definitely in the too honest category, but also in the barely manages to submit one job application or plan one part of a self employed job thing in a month category soooooo...

Anthracite_Impreza
4 minutes ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

This was the ruling btw:

https://network.autism.org.uk/content/psychometric-test-ruled-discriminatory-autistic-candidate

Yeah I don't really know how well I'd do with them? I am definitely in the too honest category, but also in the barely manages to submit one job application or plan one part of a self employed job thing in a month category soooooo...

Wow, surprised she succeeded tbh. Usually no one gives enough of a shit.

Oh I used to be the same back when I bothered. Now I've got a job (albeit voluntary), I've got nowhere near enough spoons to bother with that shit.

8 hours ago, natsume said:

It's just a trick. The shorter work week is so they can get your hours low enough to take your benefits 😂

I can believe that 😶

11 hours ago, natsume said:

It's just a trick. The shorter work week is so they can get your hours low enough to take your benefits 😂

That is what happens now when people get fewer work hours. But it wouldn't necessarily be the case if a shorter work week became the standard "full time" work week (which is the premise of this thread). :) 

Celyn: The Lutening

I'd go out shrooming more and work my D&D stuff into proper map software and write it up into adventure modules to put onto The DM's Guild.

Janus the Fox

There was a proposed policy in our own UK Elections.

Though I'd say it just be another weekend day, perhaps one less day to worry about.  I guess it makes little different being outside of the economic earners population.

• 2 weeks later...

This week I have only two days of work (Monday and Tuesday) and I've already got a tonne of writing done, not to mention reading. The downside is that five days of not having to get up at a certain time means my sleep patterns are going tits up.

1 minute ago, Skittles87 said:

This week I have only two days of work (Monday and Tuesday) and I've already got a tonne of writing done, not to mention reading. The downside is that five days of not having to get up at a certain time means my sleep patterns are going tits up.

It's very similar for me this week, though more with tidying and organizing. I only slept an extra half hour this morning to avoid wasting most of the morning, but that took a lot of discipline since I love staying in bed in the morning.

6 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

It's very similar for me this week, though more with tidying and organizing. I only slept an extra half hour this morning to avoid wasting most of the morning, but that took a lot of discipline since I love staying in bed in the morning.

I really should avoid the temptation to lie in, it gives me insomnia and a bad back. But there's nothing like a warm bed on a cold morning. 😊

1 minute ago, Skittles87 said:

I really should avoid the temptation to lie in, it gives me insomnia and a bad back. But there's nothing like a warm bed on a cold morning. 😊

I knoooowwwwww, it's so hard to get out of bed in the winter! Especially on mornings when it's still dark at 8 AM and it's -40 outside. I get my most peaceful rest when I stay in bed in the morning, though, which helps me feel better but wastes more of my time. This is why if I had a choice I would probably still start work at the same time in the morning, because if I didn't have to force myself out of bed I'd hardly get anything done.

8 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

Especially on mornings when it's still dark at 8 AM and it's -40 outside.

-40?! Where do you live?

11 minutes ago, Skittles87 said:

-40?! Where do you live?

The middle of Canada. :P

3 hours ago, Skittles87 said:

to be fair, that is an inordinate occurrence for you, not something you've got on your hands every week. I think most people naturally fall into a rythm of just a little more stuff to do than they have time for

• 2 weeks later...
DarkStormyKnight

Honestly if I had less work I keep saying that I'll take some "me time" and relax but realistically I'd just plug it up with other things and activities haha.

So many things! I'd be able to block half a day or so off for those errands (grocery store or maybe the gym) that I hate putting in on the weekends because then you only have one day for downtime. I'd have more time for creative arts that are time consuming for me that I rarely, if ever, get to do like writing or painting. I'd want to take up structured sports again, or more formal language classes (or heck, even be able to take course classes towards degrees without worrying about getting out at midnight).

SorryNotSorry

Less time wasted bailing other people out of their messes and more time well-spent doing things that benefit me.

• 2 weeks later...

First thing I would do is figure out who else is off when I am. It would be nice to have a day that was all downtime for a change. I wouldn't know what to do first. 

• 2 weeks later...

I work part time about 25hrs a week and with my free time I sleep for 10 to 18 hours at a time. I love to sleep. I think I may be a cat.

Also I think full time with a liveable wage should be 30hrs a week because it just feels right, but people could work more if they wanted to.

I would be on Aven too much 😁

Seriously though. I would be able to do the research I hoped to do without making my life impossible because having to work full time and I would be able to pursue other interests I now don't do (paradoxically) because of stress and anxiety. I would go walking more like @daveb and I would get more involved in my graphic design work and crafts I think. Volunteering within my profession, which would allow me to do things the way I want them to do to the standard I want them done at would be another distinct possibility.

My current job is such an energy drain that working 4 days a week may actually give me 2 days of weekend. I can never do anything on Saturdays as I am sleeping the whole day. Obviously I may not last much longer in this job.

AFlyingPiglet

I would probably use it for extra rest and 'me time' and maybe going away for long weekends.  At times I would also use it to catch up with friends who I don't see much due to being at work all day.

I did want some 'buy' some extra holiday days this year (10 days) as I wanted the extra time for study (to get another job - not that my employer knows about this).  Anyway, the company I work for scrapped the scheme, claiming that their holiday entitlement was good enough already. I'll have to try and fit the study in instead but when I get home from work I just want to chill.

I would get more energy to do daily household things like clean, cook etc. because that's what I struggled to do when I worked 37 hours.
If I wasn't so lacking of energy I would probably also go explore things like museums and such, maybe start crocheting again

I have no work week now, and from my experience and that of other no-longer-working friends, I'm willing to be that the predictions of what you'd do with a shorter work week might not come true.  We always think that if we just had time, we'd do all sorts of wonderful, productive, and creative things.   However, laziness does come into play, to some extent or other.  

Archived