How does it feel like to be an asexual in an overly sexual world?

I feel out of place. Like a puzzle piece that's in the wrong puzzle box. Imagine being a tiny puzzle piece and all of the puzzle pieces around you fit together in various and unique ways, but you don't fit anywhere.

My biggest fear: being alone. 

I want someone to come home to each night that I can share my day with. I want to have someone there to share the hard time, the fun times, and the amazing times with. I want someone to cuddle up next to on the couch while we watch TV because it feels safe to be with someone who cares about me so deeply. I want to love and to be loved by someone who wants the same platonic relationship. 

5 hours ago, Moderne Jazzhanden said:

It's not that that bothers me. 🤨

It's the attitude to Pineapple, dearest and best of all tropical fruits! O Pineapple, how shall we praise thy more than paradisal succulence, etc, etc, etc. 😉

😂😂😂

I love this community as much as i love 🍍 (a lot).

• Like 2
AceMissBehaving

For the most part I find a lot of the sex stuff is just like that background noise your brain just kind of tunes out. Every once in a while I’ll remember it’s part of the experience for a lot of people, and that will blow my mind for a second, then I tune back out.

Over all I’ve gotten very comfortable with it. I used to find it alienating, but now that I’m out, and able to be honest in conversations, I feel oddly less “othered” by it.

• Like 3

I kinda realize that I'm the odd one out most of the time, so it is just normal course for the general sexual "obsession" going on around me. Sometimes it is confusing how people will ruin things pointlessly, and sometimes it is even entertaining. Mostly I just get bored when it directly involves me somehow.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

I kinda realize that I'm the odd one out most of the time, so it is just normal course for the general sexual "obsession" going on around me. Sometimes it is confusing how people will ruin things pointlessly, and sometimes it is even entertaining. Mostly I just get bored when it directly involves me somehow.

Same here.I can't even talk to a guy without people asking if we are a couple or if i like him.Like,stop it's annoying.Just because i'm talking to somebody of the opposite sex,doesn't mean that we're together or that i'm just trying to get into his pants😒

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Moony's Boy Child said:

@Dr. Beat I felt that way for a while, but honestly your asexuality doesn't make you any more or less immature than others. Maturity is separate from sexuality.

Oh no I understand that. It just feels weird sometimes

• Like 1
Phantasmal Fingers
4 hours ago, Ciki said:

😂😂😂

I love this community as much as i love 🍍 (a lot).

Splendid! 😃 That's exactly the right attitude to Pineapple! 👍

• Like 2
abandoned-account

Like I’m an alien in a foreign world where the inhabitants celebrate this strange ritual that I only find highly disturbing and cannot comprehend how these people enjoy it. However I am very thankful to know that I am not alone in this world and its odd culture thanks to places like AVEN where I know there are others of my kind here as well who relate to and understand me.

• Like 4

Tiring. I get tired of hearing every. Single. Word. being an innuendo in some sense to someone...

I mean there's not very many poop joke innuendos. I know a few but compared to the vast library of (cough) "mature people" (cough)

it's nothing.

Really why can't people make weird innuendos for other humor? Why is it always sexual? It's just weird.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Ciki said:

I might hate myself from the bottom of my heart

That's also me. Don't know why but I have a self hatred. 

The story with the earrings you said...wow! That's crazy! But I also hear stuff like that. One time I had just post a story with me singing the song "lonely boy" where it says "I got a love that keeps me waiting..." and I wrote "writing is.." and all that because I had problems concentrating and couldn't write. So I felt that the words of the songs where fitting to the situation. And of course someone asked if I'm dedicated the song to someone. haha totally missed the "writing is" 😛

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TheAbhorrent said:

That's also me. Don't know why but I have a self hatred. 

The story with the earrings you said...wow! That's crazy! But I also hear stuff like that. One time I had just post a story with me singing the song "lonely boy" where it says "I got a love that keeps me waiting..." and I wrote "writing is.." and all that because I had problems concentrating and couldn't write. So I felt that the words of the songs where fitting to the situation. And of course someone asked if I'm dedicated the song to someone. haha totally missed the "writing is" 😛

😂

Oh and about the earrings,don't worry,i have a whole archive of stories like that.It's mostly because i don't really wear makeup and jewelry so when you see me wearing a necklace or puting on a bit of mascara just randomly,you'd assume that i was trying to impress someone.But i honestly couldn't care less about that.I'm wearing it for me and for me only.

• Like 1
On 12/17/2019 at 2:17 PM, Ciki said:

Amazing.I agree with every word you just said.I'm so sick of all the media and how much they glorify sex and romance.I just want one song,just one,that doesn't have something to do about sex or romance.Is that too much to ask for?

2 hours ago, vega57 said:

Well,i guess we found it.Thanks brother/sister☺♠

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:17 AM, Ciki said:

I just want one song,just one,that doesn't have something to do about sex or romance.Is that too much to ask for?

Kind of determined by your preferred genre, I guess. Infected Mushroom songs aren't about sex/romance (though not focused on the lyrics). Alestorm has more songs about alcohol and drinking than sex. Sabaton sings about war and battles. Rammstein has a bunch of songs too. And Basshunter. And the vocaloids. 

Going through my plyalist I realize about a third of the songs are about romance, a third about violence and anger, and a third are instrumental ranging from fast and awesome to more trancelike. 

• Like 1

As to answer the original question, I feel... kind of like an objective observer? Like I can look at and study sex in media and things without having it influence my attitude/behavior. I can look into what it means for characters' archs and personalities while others are aghast at Circe and her bro screwing over their son's corpse. I can play sexualized games and realize it's a shitty game with sex to hypnotize it's players, or a game that hilariously exploits it's viewers horniness for a cheap yet successful gimmick. I can point out characters who are bad or whose motivations suck yet are popular because of sex appeal. 

Just, I am a step back while others have to take a step back to view it all.

• Like 2
untr_ace_able

I just feel like I'm watching everything in a separate glass bubble that changes my view of the world.

I understand people's sexual attraction, and what is stereotypically sexually attractive, I just don't feel any feelings of the sorts, so it's kinda like reading a book on something, and seeing everyone around you doing that same thing, but you have never done that thing, and therefore will never truly grasp the concept.

And I feel like, that sexualized media is some sort of spell that most people fall under, and I'm just here laughing at the people who fall under the spell, but not actually getting affected.

• Like 2

I experience aesthetic attraction very intensely so am quite comfortable in a sexualised world... up to a point. Images, descriptions, thoughts or conversations about sexual intercourse feel somewhere between fascinatingly alien & disgusting, but anything up to that I’m personally good with.

• Like 1

Not technically ace but almost effectively so, and to be honest, outside of media and certain niche environments, I don’t really find the world to be as overly sexual as people say in my day-to-day life. It’s almost never brought up in conversations even among all the different friend groups I’ve had over the years. People are more than their sexualities, and it’s usually no problem connecting with them on those other levels. 

• Like 1

I only just realised i am ACE and being a separated guy with 2 kids people make assumptions

I went to an LGBT event (where i figured it out) and i felt really odd, all these guys assuming i must be gay and checking me out, assuming i was checking them out... probably the most sexualised i ever felt, felt so odd, so lonely, so apart. I literally felt euphoric when someone told me about Asexuality. The strangest thing about the LGBT community is that i feel more alone. 

I told a girl i feel romantically attracted to i was ACE (cause i ain't hiding). Now i want to ask her out on a date and realising i have no idea what that would even look like if sex isn't the goal 

• Like 1

I don't really think about it or feel different most of the time. If I do think about it, I think how interesting people are. Sometimes it's like I'm an observer, an outsider looking at an aspect of nature that I can't experience.

• Like 1

have you ever gone to get your oil changed and they end up not understanding why their tools don't work, and you ask them "Are they metric?" and they ask you "What's that?"

• Like 1

It makes me feel like I'm observing life rather than living it. Like everyone else is part of a club to which I will never be admitted. As someone mentioned, most great art has been inspired by love, by such deep and powerful feelings that I can never comprehend or experience. I can't lie, it does bother me that I will one day leave this world having never known such love. Sure I'm an introvert who's mostly happy in her own company and maybe it's just that old classic 'fear of missing out' but it's how I feel, be it logical or no

• Like 1
Just now, Earendil said:

It makes me feel like I'm observing life rather than living it. Like everyone else is part of a club to which I will never be admitted. As someone mentioned, most great art has been inspired by love, by such deep and powerful feelings that I can never comprehend or experience. I can't lie, it does bother me that I will one day leave this world having never known such love. Sure I'm an introvert who's mostly happy in her own company and maybe it's just that old classic 'fear of missing out' but it's how I feel, be it logical or no

Same here.On one hand,i wish i could be 'normal' and experience both romantic and sexual attraction.But on the other hand,i'm glad i'm aroace.It just feels right and i could never imagine myself any other way.

And as for 'leaving this world without experiencing such love',i can honestly relate to this so hard.I'm scarred that one day i'll die alone,without kids or a partner.That my friends would forget about me because they would be too busy with their own families...

I try not to think about it too often though.It's already affected me enough...