Ldlelee

Do You Think College is Worth it?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Well, Do You?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

It's also not just about the jobs. 

Being at university allows you to meet people who may change your life. You can discover new sports and social clubs, learn a wide range of new skills through extra-curricular activities, volunteer, make professional contacts, and challenge your mind! 

My degree was the least interesting part of university, although it did open employment doors as well.

• 2 weeks later...
ThatGoofyGuy
On 12/16/2019 at 5:07 AM, Leedle-Lee said:

I'm asking because I'm honestly curious. I know that we need more people who have pursued higher education, but due to economic conditions, mental health, life, and other personal reasons, it's not as easily accessible or doable for some people. That's why I want to ask. I, personally, believe that college is important, but not suitable for everybody, and it's definitely not affordable for everybody, either.

Well, the financial issue was not that great for me because I'm French and we don't have to sell a kidney to access a good education here. Anyway studying will give you a lot of intellectual tools that will help you all your life and allow you to meet some interesting people. Just make sure you choose the right "field of study" that would allow you to access to an actual job in the end. That's the main issue where I come from, and since I was one of the first to have degree in my family I felt in every trap. I was one of the many people with a master but no real job a few years ago (a French specificity I guess?), and I found it very difficult to get one. Now I'm doing fine however. I work in something that has nothing to do with my master, but my long years of studying made me a fast learner, and I'm pretty optimistic about my future, professionnaly. Hope it helps.

I'm in favor of making university more financially accessible to everyone, but I also think there should be more options for people who don't want to spend more time in school.  There are jobs that are valuable to society that don't require a college education, and the people doing them deserve more pay and respect.

the great acescape

I don't feel like college has been worth the financial burden, and I have a feeling that if the U.S. had free or low cost higher education my answer would be different. I entered college right before the 2008 crash, though, so in retrospect I would have done a lot of things differently. I definitely would have gone to a different university.

Considering my interest in mainly older electronics, plus the rapid pace of technology, some of what I would learn in college would be considered dated by the end of the program. Besides, learning doesn't end outside of the classroom, it's ongoing. Had I been born about four decades earlier I could have worked my way up to master tech and made a decent living repairing CRT TVs.

• 5 months later...

I've always heard about going to college as like the ultimate goal, and then it will make everything easy after that. I know it's not true, but thinking that as a kid has kind of influenced me now. I've always assumed I would go to college and I know my parent would be disappointed if I don't.

Yes, I think it's worth it. 2 to 4 more years to continue to learn and broaden your views imo helps make you a more rounded person, and you get tos tudy what you want rather than what someone dictates to you.

Saying that, I don't think it's necessary for a career choice. Plenty of viable alternatives to earn money.

I went to college to escape an abusive relationship so in that sense it was worth it for me.

A college degree looks good on a resume and a lot of jobs where I am require you to have one.

Forest Spirit

It depends on where you live and what you want out of it I guess. I started university because of my love to learn and chose this course because it's something I'm interested in and because I could sort of see myself work in that (or similar aka natural sciences) field. Never had a clear goal with what to do afterwards (and it's still vague) so it wasn't due to me wanting to get into a specific job. After having almost finished my degree now (BSc+MSc -> 5 years) there are several things I could have done better, like taking more time, but overall it was worth it in the sense of making many new experiences and getting a better insight into the field, working in that field as well as myself as a person (goals, values, capacities ecc.). Also just the experience of living away from my parents in a very different place, meeting new people (not all great though) and things like that.

However, in the US I probably wouldn't have done it this way. University itself has cost me about 200 euro/225 dollars (without accomodation, food ecc.) and I honestly can't imagine being in so much debt at my age (especially without being sure of what I want to do with that degree). Even if I get good grades, the stress of having to qualify for a scholarship or sth would've made my mental health even worse then it was at some points, so nope.

• 4 weeks later...

University is free where I live, and you get a scholarship if you're not rich, so money is rarely an issue. i keep being surprised at how few people seem to move away to a cheaper country for their studies.

It's important to me, but I know it's not for everyone. I originally didn't want to go, but changed my mind.

It was for me. I never got to finish my degree because I was stopped out. I missed too many semesters because I kept getting sick and having health issues. Still, definitely worth it. I met amazing people, took great classes, and had experiences I would never had had otherwise. I do wish it were free for everyone. (The debt’s pretty bad.) Also, personally, that I decided on the right major sooner. Started with animal science, and felt like I wasted some time on trying classes that weren’t for me. Switched to anthropology at some point and fell in love with it. Maybe I could have had a better advisor to steer me in that direction sooner. I’m not sure if college is the right choice for everyone, though. 

• 5 months later...

@Leedle-Lee

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived