Do You Think College is Worth it?

Do You Think College is Worth it?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Well, Do You?

• Yes
    • No

henshin

It's also not just about the jobs. 

Being at university allows you to meet people who may change your life. You can discover new sports and social clubs, learn a wide range of new skills through extra-curricular activities, volunteer, make professional contacts, and challenge your mind! 

My degree was the least interesting part of university, although it did open employment doors as well.

• Like 1

ThatGoofyGuy
On 12/16/2019 at 5:07 AM, Leedle-Lee said:

I'm asking because I'm honestly curious. I know that we need more people who have pursued higher education, but due to economic conditions, mental health, life, and other personal reasons, it's not as easily accessible or doable for some people. That's why I want to ask. I, personally, believe that college is important, but not suitable for everybody, and it's definitely not affordable for everybody, either.

Well, the financial issue was not that great for me because I'm French and we don't have to sell a kidney to access a good education here. Anyway studying will give you a lot of intellectual tools that will help you all your life and allow you to meet some interesting people. Just make sure you choose the right "field of study" that would allow you to access to an actual job in the end. That's the main issue where I come from, and since I was one of the first to have degree in my family I felt in every trap. I was one of the many people with a master but no real job a few years ago (a French specificity I guess?), and I found it very difficult to get one. Now I'm doing fine however. I work in something that has nothing to do with my master, but my long years of studying made me a fast learner, and I'm pretty optimistic about my future, professionnaly. Hope it helps.

Iridium

I'm in favor of making university more financially accessible to everyone, but I also think there should be more options for people who don't want to spend more time in school.  There are jobs that are valuable to society that don't require a college education, and the people doing them deserve more pay and respect.

• Like 1

the great acescape

I don't feel like college has been worth the financial burden, and I have a feeling that if the U.S. had free or low cost higher education my answer would be different. I entered college right before the 2008 crash, though, so in retrospect I would have done a lot of things differently. I definitely would have gone to a different university.

KImage

I do not think that college is worth it but do I want to go? Yes but, college is very expensive and I don’t want to have students loans.

Jon A.

Considering my interest in mainly older electronics, plus the rapid pace of technology, some of what I would learn in college would be considered dated by the end of the program. Besides, learning doesn't end outside of the classroom, it's ongoing. Had I been born about four decades earlier I could have worked my way up to master tech and made a decent living repairing CRT TVs.