Making binders (potentially)

Zebrafinch

I've been thinking about making binders for myself. My GC2B ones are great, better than bras, but not perfect. 

I think I might be able to make something that fits me better, even with my limited sewing skills. (Tried making bras, gave up because it got too complicated)

I'd also like to use more natural fibres.

What do you like and dislike about binders you've worn?  Materials, fit, shaping etc...? I'd like to know about side fastenings in particular. And info/ suggestions from larger chested people. (mine are rather large) If anyone has any suggestions for dealing with the underboob sweat issue, I'd be very grateful.

I'm cis and want something comfortable that gets them out the way.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I unfortunately don't know much about materials and such, but I find that sweating is a problem regardless of what kind of binder you wear. The best solution for me is to put baby powder in it! It's a life saver. 

RoseGoesToYale

I don't wear binders, but I do sew and am kind of a fabric nerd (and just doing a bit of searching, I've found most binders seem to be made polyester and spandex, and polyester = plastic = cannot breathe no matter what the marketing says, and if there's any garment you want breathable, it's that!)

100% cotton coutil is your best friend. It's what they used to make corsets with back in the Victorian era, for the reason that it's cotton and breathes well, but is quite stiff. Because it doesn't stretch hardly at all, if you're going to use this the binder needs to be made to your exact measurements. Coutil is also designed to work well with boning (resists it poking through or warping the fabric) which you can use for shaping (again, I'm not very familiar with binder design, so you may want to research this). You could use 100% cotton sateen for a lining that's also breathable. Coutil can be expensive, but probably much less so since you're not making a corset, which requires a crap ton of fabric.

If heat is a problem, heavyweight linen is an option. You could likely wrap it in several layers and still stay cool because it's very hole-y and it absorbs and evaporates moisture very efficiently. However, liven is always expensive and prone to wrinkling.

If you need something padded, a few layers of 100% cotton flannel would work (also makes a great lining fabric because it's super soft against skin). I will say that it's super absorbent, which may sound horrible, but it's been my experience that it absorbs moisture so efficiently that it actually keeps it away from surrounding fabric and lets it evaporate.

As for fastenings... the sky's probably the limit there. Hooks and eyes are probably the most common. You could probably use velcro for anything except the coutil. Snaps are also pretty unassuming and easier to get garments on/off.

18 minutes ago, RoseGoesToYule said:

I don't wear binders, but I do sew and am kind of a fabric nerd (and just doing a bit of searching, I've found most binders seem to be made polyester and spandex, and polyester = plastic = cannot breathe no matter what the marketing says, and if there's any garment you want breathable, it's that!)

100% cotton coutil is your best friend. It's what they used to make corsets with back in the Victorian era, for the reason that it's cotton and breathes well, but is quite stiff. Because it doesn't stretch hardly at all, if you're going to use this the binder needs to be made to your exact measurements. Coutil is also designed to work well with boning (resists it poking through or warping the fabric) which you can use for shaping (again, I'm not very familiar with binder design, so you may want to research this). You could use 100% cotton sateen for a lining that's also breathable. Coutil can be expensive, but probably much less so since you're not making a corset, which requires a crap ton of fabric.

If heat is a problem, heavyweight linen is an option. You could likely wrap it in several layers and still stay cool because it's very hole-y and it absorbs and evaporates moisture very efficiently. However, liven is always expensive and prone to wrinkling.

If you need something padded, a few layers of 100% cotton flannel would work (also makes a great lining fabric because it's super soft against skin). I will say that it's super absorbent, which may sound horrible, but it's been my experience that it absorbs moisture so efficiently that it actually keeps it away from surrounding fabric and lets it evaporate.

As for fastenings... the sky's probably the limit there. Hooks and eyes are probably the most common. You could probably use velcro for anything except the coutil. Snaps are also pretty unassuming and easier to get garments on/off.

Thanks.

I'm probably going to use cotton/ lycra stretch fabric for the back and shoulders, and some heavy duty cotton fabric for the front panel. I'll probably use denim for my first go as I've got a few pairs of old jeans. And they're softer than the front panel of my binders - more comfortable on the nipples. 

Linen sounds like a good idea. If the first one or two go ok I might try it. And bamboo lycra for the rest of the binder. I like bamboo fibre.

The polyester is definitely an issue. It's ok now, in winter, but come summer...

Definitely need a good amount of stretch in a binder, though.

Fastenings need to be comfortable, as they will be on the side seam. Getting into a  binder can be tricky.

Shaping the front panel is another consideration. A single piece panel doesn't quite provide the shape I want. I'd like a bit of a dip in the middle. Not cleavage, but separate pecs.

I don’t know how much about binders because I haven’t been able to find any. Sorry I can’t teally help but (if you don’t mind me asking) how would you make binders?

• 6 months later...

So, I finally finished my first one yesterday. It's ok. Wearable, but not for anything strenuous. Straps are too long, my stretch cotton fabric  doesn't have quite enough stretch, and the front panel definitely needs some shaping. Darts at the armholes should do it. The sewing machine is behaving now, though.

Going back to synthetics for the next one, as I can't find anything natural fibre with enough lycra in it. Six percent is not enough. Might try powernet next.

Haven't bothered with an opening to make it easier to get on. With my sewing skills it would be more trouble than it's worth and putting on binders is a good shoulder flexibility exercise.

Going to try adding a couple of fabric dividers down the front to try to avoid the uniboob effect.

Archived