So this is Christmas...

Marrow

I like Christmas, but I do laugh at the irony of people fighting each other at malls and stores during a time when people claim to be cheerful and jolly (and statistically at least half of them also think it's their righteous lord and savior's birthday), having it all start on Black Friday right after people claim to be thankful for what they have.

4 hours ago, Acing It said:

Have you looked at your avatar lately? 🤣

I agree with you, though.

I was following the crowd.:P

3 hours ago, Gloomy said:

having it all start on Black Friday right after people claim to be thankful for what they have.

😂😂😂

I'm not trying to be daft here, but I'm just not relating to the feeling of feeling pressured into something.  But I think I'm "on the spectrum," so feeling pressured by outside forces maybe just doesn't register with me (I put plenty of pressure on myself, mostly pertaining to my job).  In my spare time, I definitely want to do what I like.

18 hours ago, Marian the Herbalist said:

There are a few things I dislike with christmas, and it's a big reason to that I'm happy that I'm working on Christmas eve (the day that's celebrated in Sweden):

1. I'm not christian, so the christian part of it annoy me, part because it's.... well... christian... and part because it removed (transformed) the original feast we used to have up here before christianity came along. I'd much rather have a celebration for midwinter, as we do with midsummer. (I think I will do that myself tbh, celebrate midwinter instead, sounds better and cosier)

2. I don't like the wasteful nature of it, buying gifts just because you're supposed to. I refuse to do it, and I try to tell people not to buy me anything either.

3. The food is honestly pretty dry and boring, especially as I am "plant based" (kinda vegan-ish) = can't eat any of it. People expect me to make the vegan equivalents for myself, but I honestly rather eat my regular salad with hummus.

I feel these so much. I think that's why I've enjoyed the Christmas season more when I've been abroad, even if I miss my family. Less pressure to do everything and it's not shoved in my face every time I walk outside. Christmas music is still playing over the speakers when I'm in malls or shopping centers, but that's rare. No Christian guilt, no assumptiong I'm going to make a vegetarian Chrismas feast, and less gift expectations (multiple reasons for this, mostly having less super close friends/family nearby so gifts are less expected, and they understand if I'd rather not spend hundreds on shipping stuff home). 

Plus, instead of the usual culture stuff, I get to enjoy the new culture! Like drinking glogg or eating Christmas cake. Celebrating on Christmas Eve or not celebrating the days of because it's a couple's holiday. This year on Christmas Eve, I'm going with my neighbors to an onsen (or public bath, my friend insists there's a difference but I don't notice much of one). 

I mostly just miss the family aspects of the celebration. It just gets overshadowed with holiday expectations and stress a lot of the time. 

rainbowocollie

I enjoy getting presents for people and seeing them enjoy them

I'm not religious so I'm not a big Christmas person. My family does dinner and gift exchanges, which I don't mind much. I don't really mind the commercial aspects, but again I'm kinda "meh" about Christmas. I absolutely hate the music, traveling, and that decorations go up so early in the year (at least wait until after Black Friday). To be honest, my favorite thing about Christmas is getting time off work.

Knight of Cydonia

I'm atheist but I still love Christmas. I think a lot of non-religious people do. Maybe out of tradition, or something else. For me, it's about the giving, spending time with family, etc. 

For gift giving I usually do a ton of Christmas baking. Last year I made nanaimo bars, chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies, shortbread, caramel popcorn, and truffles for all my friends and family. It's cost efficient, and has way less waste than buying things since it all gets eaten.

I dunno. I always feel happier around Christmas time. I get to see a lot of family I don't see throughout the year,  eat delicious food, and decorate a tree with my family, with Christmas music in the background - its heartwarming!

The only thing I get annoyed at is the Christmas music/sales starting well before December. Here in Canada the last big "celebration" day is Halloween so as soon as November hits, there's nothing in the way to stop stores from selling Christmas stuff. At least wait until December!

5 hours ago, Knight of Cydonia said:

I'm atheist but I still love Christmas. I think a lot of non-religious people do.

ditto

5 hours ago, Knight of Cydonia said:

For gift giving I usually do a ton of Christmas baking.

and ditto

Today I shipped off a package to my family members in another town/state. The woman filling out the form, wrote in the field for package contents, "cookies!". :D 

Anthracite_Impreza
3 hours ago, natsume said:

All the driving I have to do 😭

Frankly I wish I could just spend Christmas out with the cars, it would make it 200% better. Being stuck in the same house doing the same shit with humans I'm not even bothered with, instead of driving, is literally my version of hell. 

On 12/14/2019 at 10:54 PM, blunose2772 said:

I'll be happy if I never hear a Christmas song again.

🤣

Most xmas/holiday music sets my teeth on edge, but I do like the following: Eartha Kitt--"Santa Baby"; Darlene Love--"Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" (U2 also does a good version); Charles Brown--"Please Come Home For Christmas"; Bobby Helms--"Jingle Bell Rock"; Mariah Carey--"All I Want For Christmas Is You"; Bruce Springsteen--"Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town"; Jessica Simpson--"I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" (The Ronettes also have a good version); John Lennon--"Happy Xmas (War Is Over)"; Ingrid Michaelson--"I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm"...plus a few others.  I like rocky/bluesy/jazzy stuff.  I can also stand, surprisingly, Fiona Apple's "Frosty the Snowman," because I like her voice so much, but I wouldn't want to hear it more than 2-3 times a season.

This thread got me thinking that I never hear any Christmas music where I live except when I play it on my own music app.  I'm not a shopper, so haven't been to the mall, but I do eat food so have been to the market the regular number of times.  I paid special attention at the market tonight--nothing.  I'm left wondering if it has been this way since I moved to Portland, but can't remember.

I wish I could like Christmas. It's supposed to be so cool, but I just fail to enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, NoelciMeta said:

I wish I could like Christmas. It's supposed to be so cool, but I just fail to enjoy it. 

How come?

Not enough spiders? 😉

On 12/15/2019 at 1:27 PM, Gloomy said:

I like Christmas, but I do laugh at the irony of people fighting each other at malls and stores during a time when people claim to be cheerful and jolly (and statistically at least half of them also think it's their righteous lord and savior's birthday), having it all start on Black Friday right after people claim to be thankful for what they have.

I love how somebody made an accurate video of the (cough) wonderful country (cough COUGH) i live in.

No but really this video is very accurate for America

10 hours ago, DuskFire said:

How come?

Not enough spiders? 😉

Something like that :P

If I could spend Christmas with spidery friends, I sure wouldn't hate it... 

Forgot my favorite thing about Christmas:

The "Gift exchange" tavern brawl for Hearthstone.

@Snegurochka McLouWho, radio here has ever increasing amounts of Christmas music.

DarkStormyKnight

Ugh I'm a big ol Christmas grump. So much dressed up capitalism and marketing. And the songs never change!

Archived