Looking for a schedule/calendar app

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

On this edition of scarlet asks AVEN for help... 

I am looking for something to organize myself. I need some kind of calendar app that will let me put in appointments and reminders, It should work on different platforms - I have an iPhone, a Mac for work, and a Dell for personal things, so it would need to play nice with both mac and pc AND iPhone. If it could pop up reminders on all of those devices, that would be extra awesome. 

Does anyone know of such a program? I am okay with paying a little bit... but free is preferable. Yes I do use an old fashioned agenda. The issue is I don't always have it with me when I need to add something. I do have my phone with me almost always. :P 

the great acescape

If you use an old fashioned agenda, you might look into the practice of Bullet Journaling. I took it up 2 years ago, but only really took advantage of the system recently. It's changed the way I get work done, and I've been far more productive and even in touch with myself. Every month I have a calendar and monthly tasks, and I also have weekly spreads as well. If it's something that sounds interesting, I would google something like Bullet Journaling 101. I could also provide some links. Ryder Carroll developed the system and has a good minimalist approach, although there are some people who really love taking the time to make their journals look artsy and cool. I find personally that the process of making the journal visually appealing is a great way to decompress. There's also a free app that Ryder created that allows you to prepare spreads or jot down notes digitally

From a broader organizational perspective, I'd recommend reading Getting Things Done by David Allen. Fair warning - it's a bit dated (Allen references PDAs and Palm Pilots, lol). However, the applications of his system are still very relevant. There's a companion software that was made by fans of the book called Nirvana. My understanding is that it's free, but if you want to have the software on your phone and computer connect via the cloud there's a one time fee you have to pay ($20, I think?) Before Nirvana I used Trello. It's a kanban board, but it has some functionality that allows you to set deadlines for tasks and connect with other digital calendars.

scarletlatitude
3 hours ago, the great acescape said:

If you use an old fashioned agenda, you might look into the practice of Bullet Journaling

I've tried bullet journals three times. Can't seem to keep up with it. :( 

3 hours ago, the great acescape said:

Before Nirvana I used Trello.

Thanks, I'll look into it. :) 

• 1 month later...
Cross Stitching

Like how @Serran said, You can set google calendar to have notification pop ups on your phone, and if you allow an extension, to pop up on the bottom of your browser when you’re on a computer. 

Google tasks is also pretty good, I think you can add tasks to your google calendar as well (not positive on that though). — you can also add tasks about e-mails. 

A small thing that helped me; when I do add things to my google calendar, I know to check it in the evenings to add it to my paper/physical planner (I used to have a daily notification set at 7 to go off to remind me). I like to be organized but I am also scatterbrained, so its another way that helps me remember. 

Archived