Is asexuality more common among men or woman?

I've been wondering this for the past few months:Is asexuality and aromanticism more common among men or woman?I'm asking because the majority of aces i've seen on youtube and internet are females...

letusdeleteouraccounts

I’d imagine it’s about equal for both but women are more likely to accept their non heteronormal sexualities and romanticisms than men in general. There’s a ridiculous amount of pressure for men by other men to conform to the hetero based norms of society

• Like 9

I think it's about 2% of females and 1% of males, but I wouldn't quote me on that.

10 minutes ago, crazy ace said:

I think it's about 2% of females and 1% of males, but I wouldn't quote me on that.

But what percentage of nb's are ace? ;) 

19 minutes ago, Ciki said:

I've been wondering this for the past few months:Is asexuality and aromanticism more common among men or woman?I'm asking because the majority of aces i've seen on youtube and internet are females...

The ace community survey has more female than male respondents, but that is true for their (allo)sexual respondents as well as their asexual respondents. It seems there are just more women active in the community, whether they're ace themselves or partners of aces.

Quote from 2016 report:

Following a similar trend to the 2014 AVEN Census and 2015 Ace Community Census, the majority of respondents chose woman/female (63.0%), followed by those who chose “None of the above” (whom we describe as having non-binary genders, or as “enby” for short) (26.0%), and those who chose man/male (10.9%). This gender skew is also found in the non-ace responses and indicates that it is a skew that exists not only in the ace respondents of this survey, but also those close to them. It also further shows how our non-ace respondents are not representative of the general population.

So short answer is that we don't know.

But there is most probably a correlation between trans-ness and ace-ness.

Janus the Fox

There haven’t been a wider census on Asexuality in many years to get a better modern picture on things.

NBs be an interesting take if there’s more aces or sexual with the identity.  From my own nb experiences, the concept of what straight and gay is and the outlook on gender with others against my own is different for me.  What is even straight or gay or bi/pan when the personal ID is NB... 

nutterwithasolderingiron

what i'm going to say is i've noticed women tend to realise their ace earlier on than men and tend to be more vocal about it because there is less of a stigma towards it in women (but there still is) but this is all just what i've noticed, doesn't mean it's the case

I'd be willing to believe that it's roughly equal, but that for men in particular it often gets repressed to the point a lot of ace males will try to deny that they are, and as such you tend to see more females being public about it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, nutterwithasolderingiron said:

what i'm going to say is i've noticed women tend to realise their ace earlier on than men and tend to be more vocal about it because there is less of a stigma towards it in women (but there still is) but this is all just what i've noticed, doesn't mean it's the case

Wish my SO had let me know earlier. That was 6 years into a relationship as well and after 3 children.

Been an enforced celibate now for 25 years. Doesn't get any easier.

I actually think women have a slightly higher chance than men of not even being aware that there's something different about them because of how much it's often said that it's "normal" for women to not be into sex, that sex is mostly "for" the man, etc.

I think men are overall more aware that there's something different about them, but that they're less likely to accept or publicly admit it (due to shame), basically.  Given things like the overall disbelief and ridicule male rape victims often receive, this sort of thing honestly isn't that surprising, even if still disappointing.

My thoughts are similar to those expressed in some of the previous posts. It was once thought that there were many more males with autism than females, but it is now believed that males and females are affected in equal numbers, but it manifests itself differently in females in a way which makes it less obvious. Maybe a similar thing is true for asexuality, albeit in this case it is less obvious in males rather than females.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Laurann said:

But what percentage of nb's are ace? ;) 

I believe the the 2015 Transgender Discrimination Survey includes information to that effect. I forget if it mentions how many nb folks are ace, but I do know that it estimates that 10% of trans folks also identify as asexual, so there’s certainly a connection. :P 

https://www.transequality.org/sites/default/files/docs/usts/USTS Full Report - FINAL 1.6.17.pdf

Agree with all the stuff said above, about cismen internalizing social expectations about sexuality.

I think it might also be experienced differently physiologically, and worth noting that penetrative sex is a dynamic at play: it might mean women are more likely to find themselves in situations where they're pushing their bodies to do something they (really) don't desire (or considering doing so) & experiencing a discordance.

Pretty much all scientific studies report about twice as many women than men, though most of them draw participants from AVEN.

I subjectively think men experience more active libidos because of testosterone, and this can be conflated with sexual attraction, so fewer identify as asexual.

38 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

I think the amount of the population that are male vs female should alsonbe taken into consideration. I dont recall which census it was but I had heard that female population were outbirthing the male population 2 to 1. Again, it was some time ago so that may have changed but still think it should be taken into consideration

True.I always believed that it was more common amoung women because us females don't have as much pressure on us as males regarding our sexuality.We can be more open about our preferances then men.So that's why i always thought that there were more female aces than male-because men are too scared to come out and identify as an asexual because they know that everyone will start calling them 'losers' and 'virgins who can't get any'.

2 hours ago, Jade Cross said:

I think the amount of the population that are male vs female should alsonbe taken into consideration. I dont recall which census it was but I had heard that female population were outbirthing the male population 2 to 1. Again, it was some time ago so that may have changed but still think it should be taken into consideration

Wait wait wait wait....

Just to check I've understood this claim correctly... you saying here that for every male baby there is 2 female babies.... because I'm pretty sure that is wrong

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_ratio

Wikipedia claims that "As of 2014, the global sex ratio at birth is estimated at 107 boys to 100 girls (1000 boys per 934 girls)"   ... which if anything is further from the 1:1 ratio than I expected....

Or maybe I've just misunderstood you. That could be a thing also.

• Like 1
DarkStormyKnight

I agree with the idea that it's equal across the board with more males oppressing it. Having said that, I think the most recent census was 27% of aces ID as female, 72% as genderqueer/NB, and 1% as male.