Aces and Meditation

I have a meditaion practice.  I have to say that guided meditation is not the same thing as you g it yourself,  and won't have the same results or benefits. 

Is there a difference between functioning by internal locus as opposed to functioning NY an external locus? Absolutely. It's the difference between being addicted to something aswell as being ruled by the addiction, and being g self determined and in control of one's self. 

In sitting meditation one observes the arising of their own thoughts,  not the content of the thoughts and by keeping focused on 5heir own mind they gain insight into the cognitive faculties that are the mind, and are their reality. 

It is really something that you must do yourselves.  It's not easy for anyone but that is why it's called a 'practice'

Meditation is a form of regulating your organism but in a way that does not rely on anything outside of the organism. 

Guided meditation is a form of something outside of your organism regulating your own organism. 

If you have add/adhd then sitting meditation is perfect for you, it's what you need. 

It may be mote difficult for you,  but as all practitioners have come to realize and will yell you,  concentration is a skill that can be exercised,  strengthened,  and develop3d.

It may be more of a challenge for someone with an attention disorder but it is in facing those challenges that concentration and attention are developed into strong skills. 

Edited by ion-
  • Like 1
On 12/14/2019 at 10:39 AM, Saphoune said:

They are chimes in proper English language.

418Uko5L8kL.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I love the sound of chimes! So relaxing. Christmas is so stressful and I need recommendations for YouTube Chime sounds

On 12/14/2019 at 6:37 PM, ion- said:

I have a meditaion practice.  I have to say that guided meditation is not the same thing as you g it yourself,  and won't have the same results or benefits. 

Is there a difference between functioning by internal locus as opposed to functioning NY an external locus? Absolutely. It's the difference between being addicted to something aswell as being ruled by the addiction, and being g self determined and in control of one's self. 

In sitting meditation one observes the arising of their own thoughts,  not the content of the thoughts and by keeping focused on 5heir own mind they gain insight into the cognitive faculties that are the mind, and are their reality. 

It is really something that you must do yourselves.  It's not easy for anyone but that is why it's called a 'practice'

Meditation is a form of regulating your organism but in a way that does not rely on anything outside of the organism. 

Guided meditation is a form of something outside of your organism regulating your own organism. 

If you have add/adhd then sitting meditation is perfect for you, it's what you need. 

It may be mote difficult for you,  but as all practitioners have come to realize and will yell you,  concentration is a skill that can be exercised,  strengthened,  and develop3d.

It may be more of a challenge for someone with an attention disorder but it is in facing those challenges that concentration and attention are developed into strong skills. 

When I do sitting meditation, the thoughts that come to my mind are emotional pain, emotional hurt, the times when I felt emotionally abused and being invalidated by my narcissist brother. My brother makes fun of me being ace, my brother is a bully. I am an empath and I want to get rid of negative thoughts when I meditate. I try reading affirmations. I would be very grateful for any helpful advice? 

Celyn: The Lutening
9 hours ago, stampoc said:

I need recommendations for YouTube Chime sounds

Seconded! If you find any nice ones share them; I'll do the same :)

9 hours ago, stampoc said:

I would be very grateful for any helpful advice?

Maybe sitting meditation just isn't for you, at least not yet. Try moving meditation like colouring, drawing geometrical doodles, walking etc. Playing an instrument or arts and craft are meditative if you already know how to do them.

Something that occupies your mind is the main aim.

Then to transition to sitting meditation, go to focussed meditation (like a guided one if you're unlike me and don't get the giggles) or find a mantra, or sound to listen to.

Gradually have less and less "information bearing sound" - like rain.

Then moving on to listening to your breath or heartbeat. And finally free meditation where you let thoughts float through your mind.

All this will probably take years. I've been meditating seriously for about 10 years and I still have to start with breath/heartbeat and even soundscapes if I'm having trouble settling.

I used the insight timer app today , 30 mins. I chose the tranquil waters sound. I had lots of thoughts in my mind about 2020 dreams, wishes and goals. Less negative this time. I think the more I meditate, the more I get positive thoughts. Those negative thoughts were there but I was able to accept and quickly move on to more positive thoughts. 

Celyn: The Lutening
26 minutes ago, stampoc said:

I used the insight timer app today , 30 mins. I chose the tranquil waters sound. I had lots of thoughts in my mind about 2020 dreams, wishes and goals. Less negative this time. I think the more I meditate, the more I get positive thoughts. Those negative thoughts were there but I was able to accept and quickly move on to more positive thoughts. 

🎉Yay! 

On 12/15/2019 at 2:47 PM, DarkStormyKnight said:

I use this app called "Insight Timer" it's got a lot of great, free meditations!

I just started using this app, I feel like I'm late to the meditation club, lol. I have used tranquil waters for 30 minutes and fire meditation for 10 mins. Please recommend me some good insight timer meditations xx 

Another good meditation I used to do involved this:

Step 1: Take 10 deep breaths in and out.

Step 2: Say 10 times, "I am sorry, please forgive me, I love you, thank you"

This is the ho'oponopono meditation.

@stampoc It's great that you are finding helpful meditation aids. Also you don't need to be sorry 10 times, one time is enough for positive meditation but for the love and thankfulness there is no limit 😉 .

My favourite meditation is not guided, sitting comfortably with my eyes half-open in the nature. When I first started with meditation I could not focus at all. I was nervous, critical  and my brain would never shut down. I was also bothered by a lot of tensions in my body thanks to office work. Addressing these physical issues helped me concentrate. Once you reach the concentration a few times, it is easier to find it back, even in bad times.

Controlled breathing (like ujjayi) during sport or yoga postures was the first thing that helped me put myself in the right mindset...because it was not a mental exercice. Practice after of during sports means that my body is warmed up, in a better condition, so less tensions and distractions. @CelynI also like walking meditation outdoors. Unfortunately I have been quite sick for a while and I could no longer do sport. When I can't do dynamic practice, hot baths and stretching are helpful. I often combine yin yoga (staying 10 min in stretching poses) with meditation.

Like @Arodash I find it difficult to shut out work from my living quarters. The invasion of work-related stress at my place was so bad that it was easier for me to meditate in a public parc with children running around than at home. It happened because of homeworking, without setting clear time limits or a dedicated working space. Now I try to reclaim some space by setting a ritual before I meditate. This self-care routine calms me down for the practice.

Last month I got my first tibetan bowl. I chose it for its specific sound after trying several ones. It is actually better than I expected because of the vibrations it produces. When you hold it on your hand you can also feel the music. If you place it on top of the chest or belly or back the vibrations that it produces feel nice and may heal your chakras. It was easy to integrate it to my self-care routine.

• Like 2
DarkStormyKnight
22 hours ago, stampoc said:

I just started using this app, I feel like I'm late to the meditation club, lol. I have used tranquil waters for 30 minutes and fire meditation for 10 mins. Please recommend me some good insight timer meditations xx 

I like a lot of the body scan ones!

When I first started meditation, I was reading an old book of yoga by Ernest Wood, probably published around the 1960s.

Ernest described an amazingly universal perspective of Yoga by adapting the traditional, religious implications of meditation for western lives and minds, without disregarding or belittling the goals of yoga itself. 

In this way, I learned meditation the way Earnest described, which begins in silence, acknowledging thoughts and then moving them out of the way. Once you can go long stretches without thoughts, you're supposed to start "contemplation" over meditation...heh, it's a bit complicated but these days I love to adapt the thoughtlessness meditations with guided meditations on youtube.

I never crossed the river from meditation to contemplation because the thoughts of pain in my life creep up on me too often, I'm always lapsing in my meditative practice or not focused enough on the guided ones. 

If I ever ascend to Buddah, though, I'll let you know x

DogObsessedLi

I have a mindfulness practice, and it's exactly that, a practice! Some days are easier, some days are more challenging; but I know that the challenging times in my life are helped by my daily practice. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, fishcrow said:

I never crossed the river from meditation to contemplation because the thoughts of pain in my life creep up on me too often, I'm always lapsing in my meditative practice or not focused enough on the guided ones. 

If I ever ascend to Buddah, though, I'll let you know x

I don't really understand well what enlightment entails. Personally I would worry about never coming back to earth  😉

13 minutes ago, Saphoune said:

I don't really understand well what enlightment entails. Personally I would worry about never coming back to earth  😉

Well! There's many more steps towards enlightenment than Meditation and Contemplation; and of course real yoga has connections to many different gods to be mindful of if you're serious about attaining enlightenment. 

Western enlightenment would probably look a lot different, maybe an enlightened westerner would suffer a cognitive dissonance so great they could no longer function  within our society. I think some thinking can't be thunk back again, maybe that's why I haven't seriously investigated the universe for it.

(Also not a huge fan of the step of taking your intestines outside of your body to wash them clean???? Might need a couple dozen more reincarnations first.)

Edited by fishcrow
Repeat word

Now that last step is really creepy 😅.

I guess that I will only take the best of every practice and leave the worst to real fanatics.

blackwingsblackheart

My Druid order teaches a very different style of meditation, called Discursive Meditation, which used to be traditional in the West. Discursive meditation is what's called "contemplation" in the Buddhist tradition--for some reason, the Westerners who translated the Buddhist terms into English got things exactly backwards and used "meditation" for nonthought and "contemplation" for directed thought, when it was properly the other way around. I don't know whose fault it really is, so I blame the Theosophists 🤣

Anyway, to begin one selects a theme, which could be a line/verse from a text or perhaps a single image from a Tarot card or alchemical diagram. One sits upright in a chair (not crosslegged on the floor), in a poised and balanced way, does some preliminary relaxation and several minutes of the fourfold breath. Then one follows the theme in a concentrated manner as far as is possible to go, leading the attention back whenever it strays from the theme. With sufficient time and practice, one learns to unpack all the layers of meaning the theme possesses. Many people who have trouble with mind-emptying meditation take to discursive meditation much more readily. Like most of my order's teachings, it's something of a slow route to wisdom, but it's also gentle and considerably less dangerous than, say, kundalini awakening!

• Like 1