Aces and Meditation

I do 10 minutes of guided meditation at the yoga classes. Our teacher uses singing bowls or carillons.

It is still difficult for me to practice on my own and for longer periods. I have a mobile app with a timer for meditation.

Recently I have tried a challenge: 1 hour of sound meditation during a singing bowls concert. Judging by the snoring in the room it was not for everyone and I was more irritated at my neighbours than enjoying the atmosphere.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Marian the Herbalist said:

Yes, I tend to do it for about 20 minutes every day, though usually to some gentle rain sound.

I like rain and other water sounds for meditation or concentration at work.

If you are looking for different rains you can try customized sound generators. Like this website or its corresponding mobile application https://mynoise.net/

• Like 1

Meditation was always a struggle because my mind refuses to slow down, (combination of anxiety and ADHD makes things especially hard,) but guided mindfulness/meditation apps really helped since I’m given something to fixate on in a way that approximates meditation. My mind still wanders, and I have to be in a certain mindset to get anything from it, but they do help with my anxiety.

• Like 3
Celyn: The Lutening

I love to meditate, particularly when I'm stressed. I'll drink chamomile tea and turn the lights off.

I like water sounds too, if it's raining IRL that's perfect, if not my favourites are water feature or wind chime noises.

I try to meditate every night as a cool off from my workout, I end up as chilled out and floppy as a sleepy puppy :3

• Like 1
everclear1973

Yes. I use the app Insight Timer. There's different guided meditations, a community with groups to chat in and categories to choose from for the meditations. I find it very helpful. It's on the Google play store for free. 

• Like 1

the white wolf doesn't like it when I look back towards the dreaming life

Solitary Lotus

@Arodash, how do you usually go about your meditation? Like, is the objective for you to clear your mind or is it something different?

Solitary Lotus

Have you ever tried strictly paying attention to the thoughts that are preventing you from clearing your mind? For example if the thought “I need to get a new toy for my cat” pops into your head, acknowledge that you are thinking about that, then move on to your next thought and do the same.

Solitary Lotus

It’s kinda like this ko’an here

“Two monks were arguing while watching a flag

flapping in the wind.
"The flag is moving," argued one monk.
"No, it's the wind that is moving!" insisted the other monk.
Huineng was passing by, and remarked, "It's your minds that are moving."”

though what you are observing is your thoughts racing, if you acknowledge those thoughts it may inadvertently help to slow your mind

On 12/11/2019 at 9:39 AM, Marian the Herbalist said:

Yes, I tend to do it for about 20 minutes every day, though usually to some gentle rain sound.

Omg, gentle rain sound is so amazing, instant calm and peacefulness.

18 hours ago, Celyn said:

I love to meditate, particularly when I'm stressed. I'll drink chamomile tea and turn the lights off.

I like water sounds too, if it's raining IRL that's perfect, if not my favourites are water feature or wind chime noises.

I try to meditate every night as a cool off from my workout, I end up as chilled out and floppy as a sleepy puppy :3

Omg I like wind chime noises! So cool

On 12/11/2019 at 4:17 AM, stampoc said:

Do any aces listen to any guided meditations, deep breathing exercises or sound/singing bowls? 

I use YouTube to help me meditate.

Yes, I use to do it on my own. Without the guided meditations then with the guided meditations.  And it helped and felt good for awhile then it didn't? So I haven't done it in awhile. I started using insight timer but I am having  trouble listening to the guided meditations. So far only one actually came through very clearly. I like rain and thunder sounds as well! 

@Arodash Also I'm very much trying to separate work from non work life as well! The best of luck to both of us! 🍰🍰 Also if anyone has any tips they would like to share here, that would be lovely, thanks.

I don't use mala beads put I think they are pretty.

Celyn: The Lutening

Can't listen to guided meditations, they just sound stupid and make me laugh.

I think it might be an autism thing - I will never find any human voice relaxing.

Custard Cream
1 hour ago, Celyn said:

Can't listen to guided meditations, they just sound stupid and make me laugh.

I think it might be an autism thing - I will never find any human voice relaxing.

I know what you mean. I tend to create my own versions and play through them mentally, I find them useful to put me to sleep - I know that's not the purpose but if it works....

On 12/11/2019 at 10:43 AM, Saphoune said:

I do 10 minutes of guided meditation at the yoga classes. Our teacher uses singing bowls or carillons.

It is still difficult for me to practice on my own and for longer periods. I have a mobile app with a timer for meditation.

Recently I have tried a challenge: 1 hour of sound meditation during a singing bowls concert. Judging by the snoring in the room it was not for everyone and I was more irritated at my neighbours than enjoying the atmosphere.

Excellent! I have heard of singing bowls but what are carillons?

I do meditate, but far less than I should. I know that I gain a lot by it but sometimes I'm just too lazy or I am too distracted or I forget it. When I meditate I turn the lights off and I just try to focus on the sensation of my breathe (anapanasati), without music. Occasionally I also use the vipassana-meditation or the metta-meditation, but I prefer the breathe as the object of my meditation. The mind runs away all the time so it is actually a lot of work to bring it back to the breathing. When I catch my mind doing something that does not belong to keeping attention on the breath I try to analyze it briefly. Mostly my mind just brings up nonsense. The duration of meditation sessions varies a lot. On average it about 15-25 minutes. Sometime it just 5 minutes, sometimes it is 1 hour. My longest session lasted 4 hours without a break until I couldn't sit anymore, but that was years ago. I use guided meditation only to get back into meditation after I left it for months.

On 12/12/2019 at 11:15 AM, Solitary Lotus said:

Have you ever tried strictly paying attention to the thoughts that are preventing you from clearing your mind? For example if the thought “I need to get a new toy for my cat” pops into your head, acknowledge that you are thinking about that, then move on to your next thought and do the same.

Yes, I try do that in very meditation. At one point I made a meditation diary to keep track of what pops up onto my head. I try tag every thought in rough categories like: pleasant, unpleasant, neutral, future, past and most used nonsense. Sometimes I seem to run out of tags because there too many thoughts. At this point I force my attention to the current object of my meditation. Once I started with a experiment. I allowed my mind to do anything, to do and to think what it wanted. After I did that my mind quickly turned to the meditation object and stuck to it because it didn't know what to with these immense amount of liberty. The human brain and mind are weird.

23 hours ago, stampoc said:

Excellent! I have heard of singing bowls but what are carillons?

They are chimes in proper English language.

418Uko5L8kL.jpg&f=1&nofb=1