help, please!

asingularbraincell

asingularbraincell

I've recently made  nonbinary amab friend, and they would really like to look/feel more feminine (not all the time, but just know how because they enjoy expressing themselves more feminine). I'm wondering if maybe any of you might be able to help??? They still live with their family who isn't completely supportive, so they aren't able to do a lot. If you know any helpful tips I could tell them I would appreciate it so much!! Thanks ❤️ 

Definitely shave (or better). I think that's the easiest thing someone can do first :PA gender therapist would be something good too. If they want to have more of a chance both at being able to talk about it as well as more leeway to get some things rolling, that'd be a good idea. If they don't want to be 'out' yet, they could slowly add more things to wear, like accessories they like, or even wear leg warmers or tights to wear under clothes to feel more feminine. Make-up would be the thing to fiddle with either at a friend's house or on their own if they can (or be out). Whatever would help to feel more feminine, even just getting a feel of their femininity inside.

Sometimes it's little things, like let's say they can't wear lipstick, then just have some lip balm instead. Maybe they're comfortable getting an ear pierced. Maybe dying hair, letting it grow out if that's not already happening. It all comes down to what they're comfortable doing in the circumstances. Try things, and see how it helps feel.

And dont forget to give them a hug for support :)❤️

If they'd like to paint their nails, would it be possible for them to paint their toenails (but not their hands, as that'd probably be noticed by their family) that they can see and enjoy, alone, in their own room when alone (unless they're not given privacy, with their own room), and, when not alone, keep it hidden from their family by covering it up with socks/shoes?

Do they want to wear jewelry, like necklaces or rings?

The only thing is, all of these things would probably have to be kept hidden in their room, somewhere, (or, perhaps, at a friends'), so that their family doesn't discover those items.

That Ginger Kid

Eyeliner is a small thing that isn’t too noticeable. Or other subtle makeup. Hopefully your friend can get out on their own soon and safely express themself :)

DuranDuranfan

If they have hairy legs maybe shaving those can help.

What about buying clothes that look neutral but come from the girl's aisle? I have things from both sides of the store and I found you can't always tell what is what, so it's definitely possible to buy female-marketed clothes that don't look really feminine (or, maybe, tomboyish?). Many females dress neutrally anyway, so that can be a way for them to wear ''female'' clothes and easily get away with it. 

Janus the Fox

Women branded clothing goes a long way for me, despite being branded for women, it doesn’t look completely out of place for the male bodied for most clothing.

asingularbraincell

@Sarah-Sylvia @LeChat @That Ginger Kid @DuranDuranfan @NoelciMeta @Janus DarkFox thank you all so much for your advice, i'll for sure pass the information along!! they've been really down about how they have difficulty appearing feminine when they want to, so hopefully they'll be able to use some of these ideas and feel better 😃

Archived