Name Change

Pinball Wizard

Pinball Wizard

I've been thinking about changing my name. But, I'm not sure when I should put my given name or my chosen name (for example, I have my given name on my bank account, ss stuff, and other official things); where would it be possible to put my chosen name? Or is it mostly just for spoken use among family and friends? (without filing papers and such*). Any suggestions, knowledge? Thanks!

Anything official would be your legal name. Anything else, you could use your chosen.

I had two different names for most of my life but it wasn't a choice. It was because my parents spelled my name wrong and didn't correct it. I'm an Aria but I was supposed to be an Ariel who grew up as an Arial because they decided to tack an 'L' at the end to 'correct' it. But it wasn't done with paperwork. Arial with an Aria spelling, basically. Everything official was Aria. Everything else was Arial (social media, spoken, and such). I eventually chose to have one name: Aria, because having two names was always jarring to me. Again though, it wasn't my choice. I asked family to address me as such. No more Arial. So if you want people to address you by a new name, you don't have to file paperwork to do that. You can just go by that name. If you want to use that name on official documents, you'd have to get it legally changed. Or I'm wrong and giving you false information. But that's my understanding. I considered changing my name to Ariel legally at one point but I didn't want to deal with the paperwork involved.

Best of luck with your new name! ^-^

EDIT: Ah, I just thought of something. For example at the dentist, you might be able to request your preferred name in your file. Mine was in their system like this: Aria (Arial), and then I eventually had them remove the Arial. So that's another way you could use your chosen name.

Archived