31 members have voted

1. 1. Opinions?

• Alloromantic Asexual
    • Aromantic Allosexual
    • Aromantic Asexual
    • Alloromantic Allosexual
    • Other (expain below if you want)

This poll is closed to new votes

I've been rereading the new Jughead comics and figured I'd ask people's thoughts. 

He's officially asexual in the comics, yes, but you should clarify since Riverdale decided to very much not go in his canonical direction.

2 minutes ago, Serran said:

Yeah in the show hes.. very sexual with Betty. But, since OP said comics, assuming that's what they are asking about. :D

Yes, I knew what he was talking about, I just meant saying so higher up. Many people answer before reading the OP's post. 

6 minutes ago, Serran said:

Yeah in the show hes.. very sexual with Betty. But, since OP said comics, assuming that's what they are asking about. :D

<_< I still can't believe the show did that; there's hardly any ace representation on shows, as it is. And some people think aces aren't oppressed: that right there is ace erasure.

While it's never stated in the comics (that I am aware of) that he is aromantic, he is very much written as aromantic. Even the point when he confirms himself to be asexual he talks about how he doesn't experience the boy/girl crazy feelings his classmates do. I can't remember the exact wording, but I definitely got that he was saying he didn't get romantic crushes. 

I adored the comics as a kid, long before I had the terminology, and it was commonly accepted by me and my friends and anyone I spoke to who read the comics that Jughead wasn't interested in dating, didn't develop crushes, and wasn't interested in romance of any kind.

And yeah, the show ticked me off with that more than anything else they did. They made him completely allo because they said it'd be more interesting. Despite even the actor fighting to let Jughead retain his canon aroace orientation.

EDIT: In one comic he states clearly that he doesn't get crushes.

Image result for jughead jones aseuxal

AceMissBehaving

I love Jughead, and figured I’d avoid Riverdale like the plague when they decided to erase the aroace part of his character. I also really love Chip Zdarsky as a writer, and was really happy when he made Junghead’s asexuality explicitly canon. 

"People have asked me if there is going to be a romance if I'm writing Jughead, because I'm very romantic, and the answer is no, because there is enough of that in Archie. I think something like asexuality is underrepresented, and since we have a character who was asexual before people had the word for it, I'm continuing to write him that way." 

@AceMissBehaving Yeah, Chip Zdarsky is awesome. Couldn't have asked for a better writer.

It is funny though that, even though it quite obviously states in the comic that he's asexual, some people still believe he's not. 

5 minutes ago, Red Ivy said:

It is funny though that, even though it quite obviously states in the comic that he's asexual, some people still believe he's not. 

Yeah, I had someone make the argument to me that he's "clearly gay," (because apparently showing being uninterested in women is the same as having an attraction towards men) and another that kept going "that's just for laughs, he just hasn't discovered he likes girls yet." :/

43 minutes ago, KendraPM said:

Yeah, I had someone make the argument to me that he's "clearly gay," (because apparently showing being uninterested in women is the same as having an attraction towards men) and another that kept going "that's just for laughs, he just hasn't discovered he likes girls yet." 😕

So much of the ace erasure trauma hitting me right now. 

Riverdale is a steaming pile of 💩. Read comics instead.

It's like movies of books - the books are usually more accurate than the movies, and the movies usually screw up the books and make it inaccurate.

Whatever there writers say he is

• 5 months later...

As an Israeli who saw Cody (this naturally-blonde twin will always be called this name in my head, lol) as Jughead only on the Netflix show, knowing about him being out as an Ace in the comics (which I don’t have full access in my country, but saw some Google Image results about the issue) I am... how to say it... Disappointing.

Even Cole Sprouse was FOR the idea of acting the guy as an Ace from the first place, but as we all know, people out there want to ace-erase characters just for their own CisHet fun.

I mean, the couple of Jughead+Betty look good and romantic together in a good way, but too bad for the representation missed under everybody’s noses.

• 7 months later...

@Red Ivy

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived