How do you cope being ace in a rough town?

I have nothing in common with the rough people in my town. I love the internet, this forum means so much to me, you are like second family. One question, if any of you have lived or are currently living in a rough town, how do you cope as an ace? 

I have nothing to do with the people living in the same place-

Guess, they wouldn't recognize me. Do you know a lot of people in your town? Can you leave it (at least for a few hours per day?) I'm frequenting uni in another city and have all of my friends there. So, there is no need to deal with the people at home.

• Like 1

I grew up in a preeeetty shitty little town.

The people there basically had three options. Find someone they tolerate and get married young, get into hard drugs, or leave. I ended up leaving, thank goodness. 

I honestly think the best thing to do is keep your head down, don't mention your sexuality, and put all your effort into leaving. It was so wonderful and freeing to get a job somewhere else, where people were more open and accepting.

• Like 2
AceMissBehaving

Growing up I was lucky to find a small group of quirky gentle nerds to gang together with. As I grew older I found the punk scene which was kind of a haven for various misfits.

I also developed a strong oppositional defiant streak which I’m still amazed didn’t lead to my getting my ass kicked regularly.

• Like 2
That Ginger Kid

If the people are really bad, I’d just keep to myself and never, ever mention I was ace. It’s luckily one of those identities that are harder to spot, so use that to your advantage here. Maybe try to leave, if that’s a possibility. 

• Like 1

hm... well i usually don't get involved in much. living in a state with the highest violent crime rate in the u.s. and then later in a drug den neighborhood, was not exactly ideal. like my last high school was very rough, so i just tried to keep to myself for the most part. and then got out at the first chance i was given.

• Like 2
Anthracite_Impreza

Hide in the house and drive everywhere.

Janus the Fox

Keeping well to myself and keeping safe, from a rough but a place that’s seen some regeneration efforts over the recent years.