Womens Clothing

Marrow

Womens Clothing  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think womens clothing today is more for look rather than use?

• Yeah
    • Naw

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, daveb said:

Can you imagine if a male politician wore a skirt or dress?

It's about time that this happens!! :D Wonder which country will be the first, if there isn't already one. (talking about national and international politics now, not local).

2 hours ago, daveb said:

Even kilts would raise a lot of questions/comments outside of limited circumstances.

That is another dimension of clothing then, since it is likely about making political statments. The Sweden democrats wore Swedish folklore outfit when they were sworn into parliament 2010. A lot of people reacted with accusations of racism/nationalism, but although I don't like the party, I couldn't really see anything wrong in wearing the national dress of the country you swear to serve. With the kilt it might be different though, depending on the political context. Scottish parliament, certainly ok, Brittish probably not since other british countries don't wear their national dresses, so it would look like a statement of independence, and EU-level, probably not for the same reasons. Privately I can walk around in a Green Cargo sweater that I got from my ex, but I wouldn't wear it in the main office of my work at my railway company, SJ, and certainly not on duty on the train.

6 minutes ago, Gloomy said:

I have a few pairs of mens' skinny jeans that I got just because I have long legs and most of my women' jeans are so short on me that I can only wear them with boots, and I can attest that the material on the mens' jeans is thicker and better quality while the pockets are actually big enough to be useful.

As for shirts and sweaters, I just like plain and regular ones with no holes or weird shapes and that cover my whole torso. I don't even like v-necks, crew necks only for me. Like this.

Hide contents

Screen-Shot-2019-12-08-at-11-04-49-AM.pn

Luckily I can still find these kinds of shirts in the women's section in many stores.

I agree about leg length and thickness of fabric. Many women also struggle with shoe size these days. I've just bought some new slippers and they went up to size 9 which I haven't seen very often before. Would be too big for me but good for others I think!

8 hours ago, Homer said:

...which begs the question why she bought it :huh: 

She might've bought it without seeing the back. Or was gifted it. Idk

3 hours ago, Acing It said:

Bring back the 1970s.

ugh, no! :lol:

Already lived through it. :P (but I never dressed like those pics - was too much of a nerd)

fooledbysecrecy

oh absolutely. i work in fast fashion retail (unfortunate but gotta make the ends meet somehow......) mainly in stock room/unpacking deliveries so i see more or less everything that comes in, and the difference between womenswear and menswear is staggering. there's the classic no pockets (or very small pockets) for women vs. actual deep pockets for men (even men's sports leggings and swim shorts have pockets ffs!) and in the winter you get cropped jumpers and coats for women, cropped!!! your back's gonna flippin freeze. you would never see this in men's things. also men's jeans, so comfy and stretchy!! i bought a couple of men's suit trousers from our sale in the summer and holy shit if they aren't the comfiest things too! men's pyjama bottoms, nice, made of cotton, exactly how sleepwear should be. women's pyjamas? all sorts of uncomfortable materials, "stylish", "sexy" and whatever. 

i've got so much pent up rage about this lmao.

I don't gender cotton ¯\ _(ツ)_/¯

All clothes can be women's clothes if a woman chooses to wear them. 

To actually answer the question, I do think that clothes marketed for women are way less practical than others, even including girls clothes. Like they're expected to just sit around and do nothing lest their hair should be blown in the wrong direction. 

DarkStormyKnight

Marketed women's clothing makes 👏me👏upset👏! Just give me a useful pocket please!

On 12/8/2019 at 9:18 PM, daveb said:

ugh, no! :lol:

Already lived through it. :P (but I never dressed like those pics - was too much of a nerd)

You don't look old enough (if that's you in the picture) to have lived through the 80s, let alone the 70s! 🙂

On 12/10/2019 at 9:30 AM, fooledbysecrecy said:

oh absolutely. i work in fast fashion retail (unfortunate but gotta make the ends meet somehow......) mainly in stock room/unpacking deliveries so i see more or less everything that comes in, and the difference between womenswear and menswear is staggering. there's the classic no pockets (or very small pockets) for women vs. actual deep pockets for men (even men's sports leggings and swim shorts have pockets ffs!) and in the winter you get cropped jumpers and coats for women, cropped!!! your back's gonna flippin freeze. you would never see this in men's things. also men's jeans, so comfy and stretchy!! i bought a couple of men's suit trousers from our sale in the summer and holy shit if they aren't the comfiest things too! men's pyjama bottoms, nice, made of cotton, exactly how sleepwear should be. women's pyjamas? all sorts of uncomfortable materials, "stylish", "sexy" and whatever. 

i've got so much pent up rage about this lmao.

I agree. Slightly off topic but what I don't get is that some things are 'man size' ie bigger. Like tissues. As far as I've noticed, men's noses are not twice as big as women's noses

Spoiler

so they probably won't hold twice as much snot, requiring a tissue that's twice as big. 🤣

But then again, I guess 'man sized' things wouldn't fit into a 'woman's sized' pocket, if there is one at all.

I have cotton PJ's that are not very different between men's and women's btw. At least there is that choice. This is the sort I'm talking about; nice and comfy in winter.

?context=bWFzdGVyfGNkbnwxMzA0MnxpbWFnZS9

5 hours ago, Acing It said:

You don't look old enough (if that's you in the picture) to have lived through the 80s, let alone the 70s! 🙂

The pic is me, but it's probably 5 or 6 years old by now. I'm 63 years old, so I lived through the 60s, too. :lol: 

Women’s fashion hasn’t been practical in a very, very long time. (Several centuries.) I don’t think it’s getting any less practical though. If anything, dresses are getting pockets more often. Tops aren’t impractical for the most part. Tees, sweaters, tunics, blouses... Nothing that truly gets in the way. Plenty of comfortable options. Practical underwear is widely sold - comfortable and breathable fabric, no frills, wide coverage, etc. It’s trousers and leggings that are impractical at the moment, often going for less comfort and little to no pockets. I don’t mind uncomfortable really, if I look good enough. It’s the lack of usable pockets that really annoys me.

fooledbysecrecy
On 12/12/2019 at 5:56 PM, Acing It said:

I agree. Slightly off topic but what I don't get is that some things are 'man size' ie bigger. Like tissues. As far as I've noticed, men's noses are not twice as big as women's noses

Reveal hidden contents

so they probably won't hold twice as much snot, requiring a tissue that's twice as big. 🤣

But then again, I guess 'man sized' things wouldn't fit into a 'woman's sized' pocket, if there is one at all.

I have cotton PJ's that are not very different between men's and women's btw. At least there is that choice. This is the sort I'm talking about; nice and comfy in winter.

?context=bWFzdGVyfGNkbnwxMzA0MnxpbWFnZS9

perhaps a bit of an ace moment but i only quite recently learned what "man sized" tissues are for..

Spoiler

jerking off, apparently...

but pocket theory makes sense too haha.

also that pyjama image reminds me of another annoying thing! mens bottoms (pjs, joggers etc) have actual drawstrings that you can adjust, in most women's things it's just a bow like that or just pieces of strings attached to the front just for decoration, so purely useless.

1 hour ago, fooledbysecrecy said:

perhaps a bit of an ace moment but i only quite recently learned what "man sized" tissues are for..

Reveal hidden contents

jerking off, apparently...

but pocket theory makes sense too haha.

Oh dear! I didn't realise! What have I done! 🤢

On 12/13/2019 at 12:58 AM, Kimchi Peanut said:

I don’t think it’s getting any less practical though.

Agree. The most impractical stuff of today is probably way more practical than peasant womens' or let alone nobel womens' dresses from the 17th century. And the practical clothes are increasingly demanded AND acceptable to wear every day.

It’s trousers and leggings that are impractical at the moment, often going for less comfort and little to no pockets.

There's the problem that pockets in leggings probably would rip the fabric very soon, since leggingsfabric is not meant to hold the weight of what you might have in the pocket, and is not very durable for crumping things in and out of the poket repeatedly during the day. That doesn't mean I feel like accepting it as a fact. Heck, we fly to the moon. Designers and textile engineers out there: create a piece of clothing that has durable fabric around the hip, but with a comfortable lining at the upper edge, and comfortable fabric from the hip and downwards. Or create some kind of belt with good pockets and a sort of standard to button the lower ends of the pockets onto comfy leggings thighs. I don't know, I'm not into fabric science. But my all time trumph card is: if we can fly to the moon, we can make better clothing or better of most stupid things around. :D

I don’t mind uncomfortable really, if I look good enough. It’s the lack of usable pockets that really annoys me.

This ^ is why designers should be involved in the process so that practical clothes could be marketed as what you wanna wear to look good.

What's bothering me a little bit is that celebrities often very much depend on their looks wich often implies that they wear impractical and sort of provocative or crazy clothes. It implies that, in order to be as loved as britney spears you have to look along the lines of that. Again, designers, come up with something that is sufficiently provocative for an artist but not urging young girls to dress in a way that might hinder them from thinking about becoming a traindriver or computer nerd or doctor for example.

Calligraphette_Coe

It took forever, but they finally started to offer men's jeans in that stretch denim that one could only find in women's jeans. I have 3 pairs of jeans with embroidery on the sides that I wear only at home. I wouldn't dare wear them to work, just like I could never carry a purse to work.

In my work, I need pockets to hold markers, a pocket knife and other small tools, so the women's jeans and tops aren't practical. Unless I want to do a ton of walking each day. I'm kind of surprised that women's jeans don't yet have a dedicated pocket for an iPhone, though.

1 hour ago, Calligraphette_Coe said:

they finally started to offer men's jeans in that stretch denim

Yeah, I recently got a couple of pairs and I really like them. They aren't skin-tight, but are slimmer than regular men's jeans, and comfy, too. Not at all restrictive. (with decent pockets as well)

Janus the Fox

Researching ‘scottish MPs that wear kilts’ in google provides interesting results, kilts along with other dress where considered in parliament in UK back in 2016.

everywhere and nowhere
On 12/8/2019 at 4:27 PM, Serran said:

Then shirts... I have large breasts, but not that tall or thick in other places. So, I end up fussing around trying to find a fit that doesn't look like a tent on my waist and then the sleeves in female clothes end up being super short and stuff themselves in my armpit and cause me to sweat more than normal. If I go for a shirt that fits my waist / hips better then it's too tight on my chest. 

Just by the way... I completely don't mind having my shirt/tunic/T-shirt/robe hang on me like a sack. After I lost weight, I had some problems with pants which became too large (fortunately, I had some pants which either used to be fine and stopped, of were always too small and now became OK, or were previously my mother's and now I could wear them). But no problems at all with shirts, because I just don't like close-fit clothes and I don't mind it if my shirt is five sizes too large... ;)

15 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Just by the way... I completely don't mind having my shirt/tunic/T-shirt/robe hang on me like a sack. After I lost weight, I had some problems with pants which became too large (fortunately, I had some pants which either used to be fine and stopped, of were always too small and now became OK, or were previously my mother's and now I could wear them). But no problems at all with shirts, because I just don't like close-fit clothes and I don't mind it if my shirt is five sizes too large... ;)

I mind cause I have to look professional at work, so sack like clothes would be deemed sloppy. I wear stupidly large clothes at home cause comfy. 

I'm at the age where I'm supposed to shop in the "Junior (Teen Girl) Section" at stores and man am I lucky that I'm small enough to still fit in child's plus sizes. The Juniors Section is filled with lacy blouses and cropped, skin-tight, super thin shirts with frills and swooping neck lines. The pants have either no pockets or fake pockets and the legs don't stretch far enough down if I want them to fit my hips. I found some cheap pairs of jeggings in the kids section and I bought almost 15 pairs, I don't wear anything else. I also found a brand that sells a plain long-sleeved shirt that hugs my frame how I like and got it in several different colors. I'm also super picky about clothing so that doesn't help and I hate shopping for new clothes because I rely on my mom to take me and she won't let me shop in the men's section. I'm very passionate on the no pockets argument so I'm not even going to start. 

On 12/7/2019 at 9:19 PM, Grimalkin said:

All you really need to do to see it is look at the pockets.

My favorite are the fake pockets for... style reasons? I guess?

fooledbysecrecy
On 12/8/2019 at 3:27 PM, Serran said:

the sleeves in female clothes end up being super short and stuff themselves in my armpit and cause me to sweat more than normal.

oh my god this!!! i always buy my t-shirts in men's fit. or if it's a women's fit i get the biggest size, mainly because of the sleeves, i need some space!! although i generally prefer baggy clothes too.

in other news now all the sports gear is coming in at work, new year new me and so on, and among the 43985456754 styles of ladies' sports leggings there was one with.... A POCKET!!!!! and those cost £5 more than the regular ones lmao.

I would absolutely say that a large portion of womens' clothes are just about looks. If I have to wear a suit, it has to be with trousers, because the only other option is a pencil skirt, which have never fit me and are often uncomfortably tight aroud the hips (presumably to 'show off' the figure of the person wearing it 🙄). The lack of pockets in virtually everything is also incredibly disappointing - I get so excited when I find a nice dress or skirt with pockets. And don't get me started on blouses... too tight around the bust, so thin they show your bra off (there was a weird fashion a few years ago for wearing sheer blouses with bras in a contrasting colour, which was just... why?). The womens' clothes from some shops are also way lower quality than the mens' (I'm talking mens' t-shirts are really thick sturdy fabric and the womens'... well, to quote my mother: "you could shoot peas through them").

Having said that, there are some brands which do have a decent range of good quality, warm(!) womens' clothes with pockets, it can just be a bit of a pain trying to find them.

57 minutes ago, elmrain said:

too tight around the bust, so thin they show your bra off (there was a weird fashion a few years ago for wearing sheer blouses with bras in a contrasting colour, which was just... why?).

Exactly..... ^^ If someone were to grab and drag our collar outwards and take a look at our bra it would be first class harrassement, but then all of a sudden, we oughta show it off deliberately????????? What ever is going on in the minds of the people who follow through with so weiredly designed models?? It's actually a harrassement to everyone who has to get a glimpse of it as well....

11 hours ago, crazy ace said:

My favorite are the fake pockets for... style reasons? I guess?

I like the conspiracy theory that fake pockets are there so women have to buy purses!

fooledbysecrecy
On 12/17/2019 at 4:14 PM, Grimalkin said:

I like the conspiracy theory that fake pockets are there so women have to buy purses!

it's not even a conspiracy, it's very real. you don't see handbags being marketed to men. men get pockets in all sides on an item of clothing, they can keep their valuables safe in a breast pocket (honestly best thing ever!!!!!) trouser/jeans pockets are also deep enough.

not only do they make more money off women (like with everything, don't even get me started on the "beauty" industry....) but also make women more vulnerable to crimes such as pick pocketing, OR even, make them potential kidnap victims when they're distracted looking for something in their bag.

capitalism and sexism go nicely hand in hand.

23 minutes ago, fooledbysecrecy said:

you don't see handbags being marketed to men. men get pockets in all sides on an item of clothing,

I have a feeling that most women also tend to carry around a lot more stuff than men. Oh, darn, I didn't wanna get anyone started on the beauty industry haha....

Yes, and I'm over it. Don't even get me started on sizes for women's clothes. 😫

My pet peeve with female clothing sold everywhere is its immodesty. People always confuse "looking nice" and "looking sexy". So many things are not made to clothe you properly and  comfortably but to reveal as much of your body as possible, to tart you up. Sometimes I get the impression there is no difference any more between normal clothes and workwear for prostitutes.

Luckily I can afford bespoke clothing, but many families have to buy the cheap stuff off the rack which is usually extremely tasteless, and the wearer generally does not realise being successful - looking like a tart.

Archived