Womens Clothing

Marrow

Womens Clothing  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think womens clothing today is more for look rather than use?

• Yeah
    • Naw

This poll is closed to new votes

Kinda outta left field I know, but what is with womens clothing? Ive heard so many folk complain that their uncomfortable or prefer guys clothes. Makes me curious how these people still sell clothes when people complain this much...or maybe people are just making a big fuss from nothing?

There are a lot of comfortable female clothing, the issue is that a lot of the clothes hanging in the female section are seasonal fashion things which usually varies a lot in both shape, size, and material compared to the male section.

The male section is more steady with what it contains, probably because females are the only ones (massive generalization, obviously not all, but face it, it's kinda true) that would actually buy weird looking fashion pieces that aren't comfortable.

The moment I stopped shopping at places like H&M I stopped having this issue, quality clothes fit better.

Oh, and with the actual question of the thread, yes, a lot of clothes are more for looks than use, it's been like that for a loooong time, but that doesn't mean that there aren't functional clothing out there. I personally like to combine the two (comfortable, works for the purpose, but not necessarily "functional"), I don't have to be able to hike in the woods, work in the mines, or sleep outside every day in my day to day life. :P

My biggest problem with women's clothing is that a lot of it is cheap shit. There are so many shirts made from paper thin material, it's quite a bit harder to find ones made of thicker fabric. What I've noticed about men's clothing is that it is made to be more durable, and I think this is because companies know the majority of men will take a lot longer to replace things. I have an easy enough time getting around my second major issue with women's clothing, which is that a lot of it is made to look sexy. There are a few stores I know I can rely on to find modest clothing.

my sister has a long sleeved shirt that has the back all opened up. When she goes outside, she puts on a sweater on top. We've both agreed that it's a stupid design

Women's clothing has almost always, throughout history, been more about looks than capability. This goes hand in hand with how women have historically been viewed in a social manner as well. 

All you really need to do to see it is look at the pockets. 

That said, I think both stereotypical clothing catagories could learn a little from each other. Women's clothing is often poor quality and inflexible, and men's clothing is often functional to the point of sacrificing any amount of style. Is style necessary? No, of course not, I'm not debating that. But I just wish everyone could look good AND feel comfortable, y'know?

abandoned-account

Men’s clothing for me all the way. Practical, durable, comfortable and fitting to my style. I’d pretty much never feel right wearing most women’s-specific stuff.

AceMissBehaving

I think it’s currently more functional right now than at other periods in time, at least mine is. Even when I’m dressed up these days I’m typically comfy with a good range of motion. 

As Grimalkin said womens clothing has been about looks for a long time. Clothing both for men and women in general is more about looks and style or fashion rather then function or even comfort alot of the time.

For those who have been to nudist or a clothing optional spa or resort. It is surprising at how equal people are when you don't judge someone by their clothes.

Yes, I never understood why women wear heels if they are uncomfortable for them. Or wear something that is uncomfortable just for looks to impress a guy. Or how teenagers and young girls even middle school think it is ok to try and look "sexy" and show skin or dress in skimpy or reveling clothes.

If they do it because they want to, and it is for them that is fine. You shouldn't judge someone by their looks.  

RoseGoesToYale

No, namely because it is infinitely more functional today than anything older than 50 years.

I don't have to wear a corset, garters, crinolines, hoop skirt, powdered wig, heels, petticoats, bullet bra, or nylons in order to look normal when I go out. (Though, if we could just ditch bras altogether, that would be great)

One exception, TMI

Spoiler

Women's underwear was more functional before the 1900s than after. There were such things as split bloomers, made of cotton or linen, which not only let everything breathe properly even in hot weather, but the design allowed women to pee standing up (like men's underwear still allows). Today the design of women's underwear and pants wastes them more time in the bathroom than putting a godforsaken corset on!

Though I will say the most un-functional aspect of women's clothing today is the fiber content. In an effort to make women's clothing more flashy, trendy, and visually interesting, not to mention cheap, a lot of plastic is used. Polyester is basically a bunch of little strands all over you, and it does not let your skin and other organs breathe. Which equals more sweating, itchiness or diaper rashes, and bacterial growth. Not to mention bad for the planet. Men's clothing is more likely to be made solely of natural fibers.

They're thinner, shorter, have smaller pockets (I can't fit phones in them, by bf can sometimes fit water bottles depending on style) and if I wear stuff for function I get teased. Fuck having pants that hug my ass, I want to be comfortable at work.

You can find unpractical or low quality clothes in both women and men department. I think that it is more linked to money/consumption considerations than gender.

The advance since last century is now you can find practical clothing (like jeans, flats,...) for women and you can wear it without being discriminated.

6 hours ago, Marrow said:

Kinda outta left field I know, but what is with womens clothing? Ive heard so many folk complain that their uncomfortable or prefer guys clothes. Makes me curious how these people still sell clothes when people complain this much...or maybe people are just making a big fuss from nothing?

I think there is a lot of pressure in some work environments for women to wear unpractical and uncomfortable clothing. I think that there an entire undustry behind this to entice women to feel guilty about how they look and to not wear the same thing twice and then to buy more and more clothing.

5 hours ago, Chef Remy said:

Yes, I never understood why women wear heels if they are uncomfortable for them. Or wear something that is uncomfortable just for looks to impress a guy. Or how teenagers and young girls even middle school think it is ok to try and look "sexy" and show skin or dress in skimpy or reveling clothes.

If they do it because they want to, and it is for them that is fine. You shouldn't judge someone by their looks.  

Heels, paradoxically, can help (some) women feel more confident and powerful.

6 hours ago, CajunAce said:

my sister has a long sleeved shirt that has the back all opened up. When she goes outside, she puts on a sweater on top. We've both agreed that it's a stupid design

...which begs the question why she bought it :huh: 

Celyn: The Lutening
6 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

Women's clothing has almost always, throughout history, been more about looks than capability. This goes hand in hand with how women have historically been viewed in a social manner as well. 

All you really need to do to see it is look at the pockets. 

That said, I think both stereotypical clothing catagories could learn a little from each other. Women's clothing is often poor quality and inflexible, and men's clothing is often functional to the point of sacrificing any amount of style. Is style necessary? No, of course not, I'm not debating that. But I just wish everyone could look good AND feel comfortable, y'know?

BIG AGREE

Men's clothing can be soooo dull, black and brown and blue, even the boy's section often doesn't have anything interesting. You have to go to smaller, more expensive shops to get anything remotely interesting (Dangerfield in Australia was a fave). I want fluoro pink and green and prints of fish or monkeys....

Or charity shops. Lots of weird fun clothes in charity shops if you can be bothered to dig through.

59 minutes ago, Acing It said:

I think there is a lot of pressure in some work environments for women to wear unpractical and uncomfortable clothing. I think that there an entire undustry behind this to entice women to feel guilty about how they look and to not wear the same thing twice and then to buy more and more clothing.

Exactly, and it's not only clothing but also body care products and make-up and the list goes on. Destroying women's self-esteem and constantly insinuating that women need more stuff to become or stay attractive: that's what capitalism thrives on.

And yes, why can't women's clothes be stylish and comfortable and of high quality? *sigh*

40 minutes ago, Celyn said:

Men's clothing can be soooo dull, black and brown and blue

I don't know if you've seen (Danish) winter fashion in general, but there's a lot of black. So that's not just gender related.

We had a work meeting earlier this week, where there were about 100+ employees present, and I could count 3(!) people who wore something colourful (me included), and the rest wore various shades of black or very dark blue.

Jewelsandcrowns

Womens clothing is about looks and as many have said here already, a lot of womens clothing isn't practical or comfortable.

They are designed to fall apart quickly so you buy more and they are designed to go out of fashion quickly as well.

Right now, you see a lot of party dresses, evening dresses and cocktail dresses being featured in shops but a lot of them aren't even practical to wear in the winter and one spill of something and the dress cannot be cleaned easily and it's ruined.

High heels are the most impractical and actually dangerous but trends dictate that women wear them. I'll admit, I do wear them occasionally but not the stupidly high ones. 8)

2 hours ago, Celyn said:

BIG AGREE

Men's clothing can be soooo dull, black and brown and blue, even the boy's section often doesn't have anything interesting. You have to go to smaller, more expensive shops to get anything remotely interesting (Dangerfield in Australia was a fave). I want fluoro pink and green and prints of fish or monkeys....

Or charity shops. Lots of weird fun clothes in charity shops if you can be bothered to dig through.

Yes, male/men clothing can be dull or uninteresting.

While female/women clothing you have options. Not just "pants and shirt". But dress, skirts, blouses, colors, and design. Its why some males enjoy wearing female clothes. Because of the feel and options women have.

Not to go down the rabbit hole. But as others said what is men clothing and what is womens clothing?

Do only clothes define your gender?

6 hours ago, SithGrinch said:

They're thinner, shorter, have smaller pockets (I can't fit phones in them, by bf can sometimes fit water bottles depending on style) and if I wear stuff for function I get teased. Fuck having pants that hug my ass, I want to be comfortable at work.

Yeah.. 

I have two sets of work pants. The women's are tight, thin and hug my curves but no pockets and not warm. The men's are thick, warm, dont hug my curves but have pockets I can put things in that is useful. 

And I gave up on trying to find warm women's winter clothes. Everything was thin enough to see my bra through, not warm. I went to the men's section and found a selection of just plain sweaters for $7 each that were thick enough to be warm outside in 40f weather (and I was raised in FL so get cold easily). 

So yeah I cross dress, even at work. I dont care. I would rather be warm than have pretty florals or have people able to see my bra through my shirt... or whatever else nonsense they had going on. I went to three shops trying to find women's clothes that fit my needs and it took 5 minutes in the men's section. 

everywhere and nowhere
9 hours ago, Marian the Herbalist said:

The moment I stopped shopping at places like H&M I stopped having this issue, quality clothes fit better.

I can't afford quality clothes. And for me there is always one big issue in buying clothes: fabric. Everything in direct contact with my skin must be made of plant-based fabrics, at most cotton with a bit of synthetics (for example my bras), because my skin just doesn't tolerate other fabrics.

I consider some women's clothes ridiculous and it has a lot to do with my effective asexuality and nudity aversion. For example women's outfits in sports such as track and field - these panties cannot be even called "shorts" anymore; gosh, my panties - the underwear - cover more than those supposed "short pants"! And I just can't imagine being supposedly the only woman who could never consent to being seen in such "clothes", or even that supposedly 0,001% of women feel uncomfortable with it and the rest just loves exposing themselves as a store front for men...

"Quality clothes" fit better if you are the body shape they are designed for anyway, still run into the same issues if you're an unusual body shape. Many high class brands dont even cater to larger sizes.  

Personally, I have larger hips (as in my bones) so even when I was super thin, I struggled. The pants made for the larger hip sizes tend to be too long in the leg. Or too short in the abdomen. Out of 10 brands and styles I try on, I might find one that actually fits. 

Then shirts... I have large breasts, but not that tall or thick in other places. So, I end up fussing around trying to find a fit that doesn't look like a tent on my waist and then the sleeves in female clothes end up being super short and stuff themselves in my armpit and cause me to sweat more than normal. If I go for a shirt that fits my waist / hips better then it's too tight on my chest. 

The worst fit in clothes I ever had was a $60 pair of jeans. The best was a $20 pair. And the $60 ones wore out within a year, the $20 pair lasted. It's kinda funny though I take European visitors to Walmart and they want to buy jeans cause apparently our cheap brand they have to pay a lot for cause it's their quality brand. :lol:

Which... cheapy mens clothes I dont have any of those issues. Medium mens shirt fits fine. Pants are in inches so it's easier to find the right length / waist size. 

Nowhere girl- I prefer pants for athletic clothing. But, my mom and my aunt actually find the short shorts super comfy and arent caring about men seeing, they just want to have their skin free of clothes when warm. 

2 hours ago, SpaceDustbin said:

100+ employees present, and I could count 3(!) people who wore something colourful (me included), and the rest wore various shades of black or very dark blue.

I once attended an aerobics class with about 60 women and one man. Everyone in the room, E V E R Y O N E (including me, ironically) had pink shirt/pants/shoes or at least clothes with pink details on them. :D The industry is indeed mighty....

56 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I consider some women's clothes ridiculous and it has a lot to do with my effective asexuality and nudity aversion. [...] And I just can't imagine being supposedly the only woman who could never consent to being seen in such "clothes"

Correct, you are not the only one. 😃 I get ashamed on the behalf of collegues that come to a workers' union introduction class in March with a shoulderless and belly free top. It's a class, not a party.... ^^ And yesterday, at our Christmas party, that same person came in a shoulderless dress with accenting details on the breast and short as in panty-short. How can you sit at the table with your boss, your older male collegues and feel comfortable with that?

Spoiler

There's the eternal complaint about rape victims being asked how they were dressed and why, and the suspected rapist arguing that the victim was 'begging' for it. Well, obviously, no clothes excuse a rapist. Fullstop. But, I want the greater part of my skin to be part of my intimacy with my partner, and I want my partner to feel intimate with me, when he gets to see that skin. If every person out there is numbed because they all show more skin than not to people who they don't know, or to whom they are in a professional relation that cannot be avoided and must not be risked, how is my partner to feel intimate with me? Ho am I to feel intimate with my partner if I know that he doesn't care about the skin my collegue shows?

8 hours ago, Chef Remy said:

I think that most women who usually wear heels are not particularly uncomfortable with them. After all, with a bit of practice, one supposedly can win dancing tournaments with heels on.... ^^

But that's also what buffles me. How can anyone not feel uncomfortable in heels? Just like with smoking. At some point in your youth, you take your first cigarett or you wear you first heels. Either you feel: "oh, heck, i gotta cough!", or you feel: "*cough cough*, gosh that's cool!"; and either you feel "ooohaah, I can't walk in these things", or you feel: "Whoops, gotta practice a bit, but these look amazing!!". I guess the problem arises when you feel in the first way, and then feel a need to be cool or to look amazing. Because then you need to practice something that you don't really like.

Same with short skirts or dresses, or tops where you almost fall out. I can't for the life of me understand how, but from what I see, those women that wear stuff like that are not really suffering from it (anymore?). It'd be interesting though to see a poll where you ask how many women wear heels and stuff because they initially felt great looking good, as opposed to how many do it because they felt and still feel not looking enough good without it and who had to work on feeling comfortable with it. Well, and once again, I'm talking about little friendly Sweden. There might be a lot more pressure going on elsewhere.

Clothes can be for looks, for comfort, for both, or for neither. There is at least more choice these days, and nothing to really stop women from buying/wearing clothes from the men's department. I'd say women have a lot more choice than men when it comes to clothes that are generally acceptable in society. If a woman doesn't like wearing skirts, dresses or heels, then in many (most?) cases she can choose not to. Of course there are exceptions, but even in places where clothing choices can be fraught, such as politics, women still have more choices. Look at just about any picture of a group of "western world" politicians - the men will all be in dark suits (there was a huge stir when Obama wore a light-colored suit on some occasion during his presidency) with the only real difference being in tie color; the women will be more likely to be in different colors, dresses, pants, etc. Can you imagine if a male politician wore a skirt or dress? Even kilts would raise a lot of questions/comments outside of limited circumstances.

Janus the Fox

I think... so are men’s clothes.  There’s a point that clothes have gone past the point of the utility and has become a fashion statement.  Every decade has clothing that is base utility and are fashion cultural statements.  From experience wearing both men/women and clothes that are more utility/fashion.

2 hours ago, elisabeth_II said:

If every person out there is numbed because they all show more skin

I feel the opposite, and I'm not that much of a prude. I don't know where to look when I'm talking to any women with her breasts falling out. It makes sense if you think about it in a different way. If men had half their 'stuff' showing, you wouldn't know where to look either. I feel the same with women. I can imagine that not every man has sexual intent when they look at a woman's cleavage either, but it's something you almost can't not look at if you know what I mean. The difference is, women are sensitive to men looking in my experience and less so when women look, and with looking I mean cast a glance, not staring. That would be different!! I can't understand for the life of me how women feel comfortable with half their breasts showing. I couldn't do it myself if mine were sizeable enough.

1 hour ago, Janus DarkFox said:

I think... so are men’s clothes.  There’s a point that clothes have gone past the point of the utility and has become a fashion statement.  Every decade has clothing that is base utility and are fashion cultural statements.  From experience wearing both men/women and clothes that are more utility/fashion.

Bring back the 1970s. They were uncomfortable for everyone, in more than one way, for both men and women. 🤣 (from https://www.vintag.es/2018/12/1970s-mens-fashion.html if you want to have more to look at)

1970s+Men%2527s+Fashion+%25282%2529.jpg1970s+Men%2527s+Fashion+%252810%2529.jpg

I have a few pairs of mens' skinny jeans that I got just because I have long legs and most of my women' jeans are so short on me that I can only wear them with boots, and I can attest that the material on the mens' jeans is thicker and better quality while the pockets are actually big enough to be useful.

As for shirts and sweaters, I just like plain and regular ones with no holes or weird shapes and that cover my whole torso. I don't even like v-necks, crew necks only for me. Like this.

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2019-12-08-at-11-04-49-AM.pn

Luckily I can still find these kinds of shirts in the women's section in many stores.

Archived