Controversial video game opinions?

Crazycrazycultist

4 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

This isn't really controversial, I just don't understand the appeal of non-sim games. They're pretty much all I play because I need games I can play 1000+ hours and never do the same thing. Any game which has a finite ending/number of endings makes no sense to me, and any game I can't change things in is boring.

The appeal tends to be the journey and the story, and a good linear game has levels that make you want to play them again. But I am happy with the rise of more rpg and sim style games. 

The number of hours I have alone in minecraft is scary. 

1 hour ago, Iam9man said:

He’s a mushroom. Enough said.

Yoshi is a cute dino. Enough said. 

Lets settle it in Smash! Hahahaha

Real Estate RICO

The loss of the National Dex is kinda overblown because you know full well they'll release an enhanced version of Sword/Shield with it in there OR the Gen 4 remakes which will include Gen 8

3 minutes ago, ManicPixieDreamFreeAgent said:

The loss of the National Dex is kinda overblown because you know full well they'll release an enhanced version of Sword/Shield with it in there OR the Gen 4 remakes which will include Gen 

Not gonna lie. I havent played since gen 2.......... lol

The loss of the National Dex is kinda overblown because you know full well they'll release an enhanced version of Sword/Shield with it in there OR the Gen 4 remakes which will include Gen 8

GF has outright said that going forward they do not intend to keep the full dex in future games, so... no, not really that overblown.

Junichi Masuda, the game producer of Sword and Shield, said: “We now have no plans to make the Pokemon that are missing in the Galar Pokedex in-game available. That is an approach that we want to continue in the future with Pokemon games.

As a life long Star Wars fan I just bought Jedi Fallen Order and can not wait till its done downloading. Till then I shall play BF2. 😎

Remember Alderan! Join the Alliance!

Janus the Fox

I find no appeal in Mobile Gaming Freemium/Free To Play/Play To Win games any more, those that have no end, those that eventually require spending increasingly more money to get further in levels, especially those thathave a pseudo PvP/PvE/EvE economy or reward based leader-board. I've played them for years and it's the exact same thing over and over again.  There are few exceptions but that has lost me as well.

28 minutes ago, Janus DarkFox said:

I find no appeal in Mobile Gaming Freemium/Free To Play/Play To Win games any more, those that have no end, those that eventually require spending increasingly more money to get further in levels, especially those thathave a pseudo PvP/PvE/EvE economy or reward based leader-board. I've played them for years and it's the exact same thing over and over again.  There are few exceptions but that has lost me as well.

I hate this microtransaction culture. Its scummy and very predatory. Especially in games I pay full price for, I fear we will see a collapse of mainstream gamimg like the crash in the 80s after Atari filled the market with subpar games. Leading to the rise of indie studios who have now become what Atari was in the 80s

Real Estate RICO
10 hours ago, Philip027 said:

GF has outright said that going forward they do not intend to keep the full dex in future games, so... no, not really that overblown.

well shit

this is bad

i guess gen 7 is the only recourse for competitive battling now

10 hours ago, Philip027 said:

Heh, guess they aren't intending to keep the full player base for future games.

Referring to the opening post and Uncharted, the best games in that series go in descending order. 4 > 3 > 2 > 1.

Also, ME3 is the best ME game. The games are about the journey, not the destination. You can see how your decisions from like 50 hours ago come into play, and it was awesome.

Linear games are better than open-world. I do like open-world games, but I would pick a linear game with a good story and good characters any time. Not to say that open-world games can't have those things, but I prefer not to get sidetracked by the gazillion sidequests. I can appreciate the writing more when it's all happening in a nice, linear order.

Skyrim is overrated. It's alright, but not so good that I want to hear about it as much as I do 8 years later. Shush already.

Game developers can change the direction of their series if they so wish. I'm looking at you, AC fans. First you complained that nothing ever changes, then you complain how it's not exactly the same. Make up your mind.

Life is Strange was pretty dumb. Tacky writing and silly plot. I did not see what seemingly everyone else saw in the game.

Crazycrazycultist
1 hour ago, Taival said:

Referring to the opening post and Uncharted, the best games in that series go in descending order. 4 > 3 > 2 > 1.

Also, ME3 is the best ME game. The games are about the journey, not the destination. You can see how your decisions from like 50 hours ago come into play, and it was awesome.

Linear games are better than open-world. I do like open-world games, but I would pick a linear game with a good story and good characters any time. Not to say that open-world games can't have those things, but I prefer not to get sidetracked by the gazillion sidequests. I can appreciate the writing more when it's all happening in a nice, linear order.

Skyrim is overrated. It's alright, but not so good that I want to hear about it as much as I do 8 years later. Shush already.

Game developers can change the direction of their series if they so wish. I'm looking at you, AC fans. First you complained that nothing ever changes, then you complain how it's not exactly the same. Make up your mind.

Life is Strange was pretty dumb. Tacky writing and silly plot. I did not see what seemingly everyone else saw in the game.

Hey, at least you opinion on Uncharted games are at least in sequential order. Better than mine at least. Really though, I have conflicting opinions on Uncharted 4. I'm not on the same boat as people who think it's the worst in the series. I'm also not the person who thinks it's the best out of the series. I've heard dozens of people on both sides share their opinions on it. And, to be honest, I see them on both sides.

I totally agree with you on Life Is Strange. It was completely stupid. I never played it. But, I don't want to. I think it was just completely dumb. I've even seen people play it. They hate it more than me. But, at least they made really entertaining videos!

Ok here we go:

There shouldnt be monetization in video games, the world ran just fine when they didnt have all this paid shlock. Paid DLC is fine, but to a degree.

High detail or realistic graphics dont make a good game. Sick and tired of seeing these flashy super real games that end up being dated when better graphics come down the road. Look at the original Halo and Donkey Kong Country, one looks ugly and the other doesnt.

Fallout: New Vegas was better than Fallout:3

Fortnite and Apex are both terrible. Play for 15 min collecting all your stuff and weapons again only to be picked by some guy across the map; big waste of time. 

56 minutes ago, Marrow said:

Ok here we go:

There shouldnt be monetization in video games, the world ran just fine when they didnt have all this paid shlock. Paid DLC is fine, but to a degree.

High detail or realistic graphics dont make a good game. Sick and tired of seeing these flashy super real games that end up being dated when better graphics come down the road. Look at the original Halo and Donkey Kong Country, one looks ugly and the other doesnt.

Fallout: New Vegas was better than Fallout:3

Fortnite and Apex are both terrible. Play for 15 min collecting all your stuff and weapons again only to be picked by some guy across the map; big waste of time. 

I would argue New Vegas is the best of all the Fallout games, followed up by 2, then 3, then 1 and then 4. 76 doesnt get to be on the list lol

And your so right. I have heard people complain that the witcher 3 doesnt look as good on the switch and im like "so???? Its still an awesome game you can now play on the go!" Graphics come after story and gameplay for me. You also dont need hyper realistic graphics for a stunning game. Example? Zelda BoW my gods, its so beautiful

Uh.. there's a platform that Witcher 3 doesn't look like garbage on? You would have to patch all the textures. If you're playing Witcher 3 it definitely isn't for graphics because they're almost distractingly bad which is the difference between old 3d vs old 2d. Games like that don't age well.

The small screen is actually a huge benefit for Witcher 3 at this point so switch is the best way to play it.

3 minutes ago, natsume said:

Uh.. there's a platform that Witcher 3 doesn't look like garbage on? You would have to patch all the textures. If you're playing Witcher 3 it definitely isn't for graphics because they're almost distractingly bad which is the difference between old 3d vs old 2d. Games like that don't age well.

The small screen is actually a huge benefit for Witcher 3 at this point so switch is the best way to play it.

Its true 3D titles have a tendency to not age very well graphically, I can count on one hand games that still look amazing years after their release. But theres an endless number of top down JRPGs and side scrollers that still look classic today. Super Castlevania 4 alllll the way. 

For me, the best 3D titles that have aged really well are MGS2 and MGS3 

Wanna know whats aged REALLY bad. The star wars prequal films. Oh my god the phantom menace looks so bad. 

Crazycrazycultist
37 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Wanna know whats aged REALLY bad. The star wars prequal films. Oh my god the phantom menace looks so bad. 

I agree with you but I don't know if these are video games.

46 minutes ago, Crazycrazycultist said:

I agree with you but I don't know if these are video games.

They arent. I just had to say it. Lol

Crazycrazycultist
32 minutes ago, Arodash said:

They arent. I just had to say it. Lol

Oh, okay! That makes sense!

Skyrim sucks (sorry, it's repetitive and boring with an awful story...)

WoW is not the best MMO - it just advertised well 

Casual players ruined MMOs (example: SoE putting the best weapon in the game as a random drop in a solo dungeon because casuals complained raiders had the best gear and they didn't want to have to put time and effort into obtaining it but still wanted what the raiders had, so instead it became a random luck grind fest to get the gear instead of skill required)

8 minutes ago, Serran said:

Skyrim sucks (sorry, it's repetitive and boring with an awful story...)

WoW is not the best MMO - it just advertised well 

Casual players ruined MMOs (example: SoE putting the best weapon in the game as a random drop in a solo dungeon because casuals complained raiders had the best gear and they didn't want to have to put time and effort into obtaining it but still wanted what the raiders had, so instead it became a random luck grind fest to get the gear instead of skill required)

I personally think WoW is boring, And I'd really like to see MMOs stop trying to emulate it and other mainstream MMOs, honestly most modern ones just seem like reskins of all the same crap. 

And Oblivion is the greatest Elder Scrolls game for 2 reasons. The Thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood plot lines.

How do you join the thieves guild in Skyrim??? Oh you just walk into town and some dude approaches you and basically says your already a thief even if youve been the mostly knightlt saint ever in the game. 

I wouldnt say casual players ruined them, i'd say the developers who decided to forsake their fanbase did

Never played Fortnite, never will. Thankfully it's cooled down a bit and it's not as in-your-face as it once was.

I've always liked Minecraft even when it was considered "cringe" by cringe culture jerks.

26 minutes ago, Lunala said:

Never played Fortnite, never will. Thankfully it's cooled down a bit and it's not as in-your-face as it once was.

I've always liked Minecraft even when it was considered "cringe" by cringe culture jerks.

I played a bit of fortnite when it came out as well as PUBG certainly can be fun but the gimmic for me died real fast. And goodness it was so popular EVERY dev. Had to make a battle royale, im looking at you CoD.... 

Minecraft was considered cringe???? This is news to me, whenever someone would critisize me for enjoying a peaceful, colorful, endless imaginative world. I would just ask what games they play, when I got back NFL and CoD, thats how I knew where we stood, which is fine everyone is allowed to have their interest in games, I just never understood people judging someone else for their tastes, I play nearly all genres of video games. Except pinball. No. No. No. Pinball is meant for real world

The mark of a truely good media is when it can be enjoyed by all ages. Why is Pixar so great? They tell compeling stories for everyone of all ages, why are games like minecraft so amazing? They allow for true expression of a person's inner being. Think about it you can build anything you want and its just pure fun

Im gonna throw this out there and its gonna anger loads of people 😎

There where only 2 good sega consoles.

The Genesis, which Sega tried to push way beyond its lifespan

The Dreamcast, which was destroyed by corporate greed from the Japan head offices. Tom Kalinske would have made it successful but Japan's head offices took his power away even though he was the one who saved Sega. 

Fun fact also it was Tom Kalinske who came up with the idea of "be who you want to be Barbie" for Mattel, the idea that Barbie should begin doing jobs that where traditionally geared for men. 

Crazycrazycultist
1 minute ago, Arodash said:

The Dreamcast, which was destroyed by corporate greed from the Japan head offices. Tom Kalinske would have made it successful but Japan's head offices took his power away even though he was the one who saved Sega. 

Fun fact also it was Tom Kalinske who came up with the idea of "be who you want to be Barbie" for Mattel, the idea that Barbie should begin doing jobs that where traditionally geared for men. 

Huh! Nice fun fact!

10 hours ago, Arodash said:

You obviously never had a Sega Saturn. Or Game Gear.

Oh, and Dreamcast was killed by its decision to not use DVDs. 

Microsoft has poorly filled the vacuum left by Sega and I wish they'd get the funding to revolutionize gaming the way they used to. Microsoft just makes locked down freebsd boxes and Sony/Nintendo has gotten worse in the absence of sega's competition.

39 minutes ago, natsume said:

You obviously never had a Sega Saturn. Or Game Gear.

Oh, and Dreamcast was killed by its decision to not use DVDs. 

Microsoft has poorly filled the vacuum left by Sega and I wish they'd get the funding to revolutionize gaming the way they used to. Microsoft just makes locked down freebsd boxes and Sony/Nintendo has gotten worse in the absence of sega's competition.

Oh I had a Game Gear, and that was one of the things Tom argued for in the development of the dreamcast but corporate didnt want to listen to him. I will totally agree that there has been a vaccume since Sega dropped out but I see Nintendo getting better while Sony and Microsoft decline, the Switch alone has amazing sales which doesnt surprise me Nintendo has DOMINATED the portable market since GameBoy.

Doesnt help that Sony basically said "screw you" to the Vita which was an amazing console

The biggest issue I have with modern gaming apart from microtransactions. Its the fact that now when I get a brand new game I need to instal it before I can play it on a console, not only that my vast library of games for Xbox is a bit pointless when I want to play one and need to wait 3 hours

Crazycrazycultist
11 hours ago, Arodash said:

Oh I had a Game Gear, and that was one of the things Tom argued for in the development of the dreamcast but corporate didnt want to listen to him. I will totally agree that there has been a vaccume since Sega dropped out but I see Nintendo getting better while Sony and Microsoft decline, the Switch alone has amazing sales which doesnt surprise me Nintendo has DOMINATED the portable market since GameBoy.

Doesnt help that Sony basically said "screw you" to the Vita which was an amazing console

The biggest issue I have with modern gaming apart from microtransactions. Its the fact that now when I get a brand new game I need to instal it before I can play it on a console, not only that my vast library of games for Xbox is a bit pointless when I want to play one and need to wait 3 hours

The Vita does have a nice library. Not just in terms of ports. But, just good games in general. LittleBigPlanet has a very entertaining game on the system. There's an Uncharted game that's pretty nice. Hell, even the makers of LittleBigPlanet have their own game on the system. And, it's charming, adorable, and heartwarming. Tearaway's good!

17 hours ago, Crazycrazycultist said:

The Vita does have a nice library. Not just in terms of ports. But, just good games in general. LittleBigPlanet has a very entertaining game on the system. There's an Uncharted game that's pretty nice. Hell, even the makers of LittleBigPlanet have their own game on the system. And, it's charming, adorable, and heartwarming. Tearaway's good!

Oh its got a great library but sadly not enough and Sony didnt do enough to push the Vita. Which is really really sad

Archived