How do you know the difference between Non binary, Demi boy, and / or Transgender?

Scott Jelavić

Scott Jelavić

I am a female, but like using he him they them pronouns and i dont know whether im trans, nonbinary, or a demi boy ( a girl that just uses masculine definitions ). How do i tell? 

( edit ; opalian, a non binary that prefers males or other nonbinarys. )

If you see yourself as male as well as female &/or androgynous or something like that, then you would be non-binary, since it means to be not just male or not just female.

If you see yourself as just male, then you would be more strictly transgender (TransMan)
-Though the term is broad and some people still use it even if they're non-binary.

Demi boy is a more specific term that you can use along with being non-binary, to say that you primarily identify as male but that you may or may not have other gender identities along with that.

So, you would be both non-binary and demiboy, if what i said fits with you.
I'm curious what you like about they/them too, and how you see it fit with your identity:)

Janus the Fox

It's difficult looking in from the outside when the gender of my own feels non existent or disconnected.  What I do know is that i'm non-binary/Agender, no focus on a particular gender, trans, I'd prefer a female body and maybe just so I'm demigirl but male body.

I can't tell for total certainty, it's how gender is for me.

Chieftain-Drake

I could never decide for you what your identity is, but as far as distinguishing between the three, I think I can help there. :)

--

Well, to start, while nonbinary is a legitimate identity, technically speaking it's more of an umbrella term-- it doesn't really define anything specific, it just means "outside of the gender binary." You could identify as just 'nonbinary' and not have to worry about any other labels if that's comfortable to you, or you could use it in the meantime while figuring yourself out (that's what I did.)

Demi-guy/boy/man/male/etc. is an identity someone uses when they identify partially as male, but not wholly. I identify as a demi-guy/demi-enby because to me it essentially means I'm a 50/50 split of male and nonbinary. It's important to know that this identity doesn't mean a 'female who prefers male terms', so much as it means that a fraction of yourself can be identified as male. The rest of it might be totally different and that fraction of male-identity can vary in 'size.'

Being transgender is a lot more strict than either of the above identities. A transgender person is generally someone who identifies as the full-on opposite of what their assigned gender is-- they are a binary gender, technically, just not what they were assigned. If you like they/them pronouns, I'd say this one probably isn't you-- but I can't say that 100% since I'm not you.

--

I really hope this isn't a total thought-dump and makes some sense. --While I couldn't tell you for sure your identity, maybe you'd like demi-guy/demi-enby?

7 minutes ago, Chieftain-Drake said:

I could never decide for you what your identity is, but as far as distinguishing between the three, I think I can help there. :)

--

Well, to start, while nonbinary is a legitimate identity, technically speaking it's more of an umbrella term-- it doesn't really define anything specific, it just means "outside of the gender binary." You could identify as just 'nonbinary' and not have to worry about any other labels if that's comfortable to you, or you could use it in the meantime while figuring yourself out (that's what I did.)

Demi-guy/boy/man/male/etc. is an identity someone uses when they identify partially as male, but not wholly. I identify as a demi-guy/demi-enby because to me it essentially means I'm a 50/50 split of male and nonbinary. It's important to know that this identity doesn't mean a 'female who prefers male terms', so much as it means that a fraction of yourself can be identified as male. The rest of it might be totally different and that fraction of male-identity can vary in 'size.'

Being transgender is a lot more strict than either of the above identities. A transgender person is generally someone who identifies as the full-on opposite of what their assigned gender is-- they are a binary gender, technically, just not what they were assigned. If you like they/them pronouns, I'd say this one probably isn't you-- but I can't say that 100% since I'm not you.

--

I really hope this isn't a total thought-dump and makes some sense. --While I couldn't tell you for sure your identity, maybe you'd like demi-guy/demi-enby?

I think it's interesting that you decided to see it as 50/50. I think it can make sense. But if someone has a stronger male side then demiguy can be enough. and someone can say they're nb as well but it's kind of already implied to be nb when you're demiguy, i think. I think there 'might' be a term for someone who's half one gender identity and half another, or maybe not, it's hard to know everything haha. What does it mean to be only 'half' nb?

In my case, I'm either transgender (transwoman) or demigirl nb. I'm just putting the nb there to say the rest of my identity (that isn't female) fits in there. I don't know if it's androgynous, genderless, or what, but there's something there potentially. I just dont know if I'm fully female with other gender expressions I feel, or if I am multigendered in that way. I have no idea where male fits in for me now, I don't really know if I relate to it, or if it's just conditioning.

Anyway 😜

Scott Jelavić

Thank you all for helping! This is helping me alot. I might do some other esearch on gender identities as well to go along with this! 

Transgender means ''not having the gender associated with your birth sex and only that one'' so non-binary can totally be considered transgender. It's up to them, though. For example, I don't have a gender, so according to the broader definition of transgender I put above, then that does make me trans (and I do think I am). But if you define trans as ''having a gender different to your AGAB'', then I wouldn't be trans; I don't use this definition, but other agender (or more largely, non-binary) people might, and thus not consider themselves trans. 

• 1 year later...
Oberon Jasper
On 4/28/2021 at 4:30 AM, Laly LF said:

Hi, I'm a demiboy but at birth I was identified as a girl so I'm confused am I just demiboy or am I transgender too? 

I personally identify as a trans demiboy (which I usually just simplify to trans man) The main difference for me (personally) is the fact that I want to transition out of a female body and to a male one. Trans is an umbrella label that includes many identities and can include demiboy. I know I want to get top surgery, do T, etc. which is transitioning to male, but I also know I in part feel non-binary and not just male.

How I see the terms stacking is that transgender is an umbrella term that has nonbinary (also an umbrella) and then demiboy is underneath that, but each of the umbrellas can be an identity in and of themselves or a qualifier depending on how people use them. There’s some pretty good definitions already on this thread so I’m not going to redefine everything. 
(For example, trans in my identity is an umbrella term making a statement about me not being my agab, and nonbinary gets close to the mess of somewhat gendered/genderless that I feel but it isn’t actually specific to how I see myself). 

One term that might help is trans masculine- it’s a term that includes FTM people as well as FTX people who lean towards the masculine side of gender- some feel completely attached to being male, some only partially. The biggest thing about these terms and labels though is that you can easily fit any of them, and only you know your experiences and what you feel comfortable with. (Earlier in my search for gender terms for myself demigirl had a good literal definition for me but I felt uncomfortable with the term and nonbinary worked so much better when it came to my personal comfort) 

Sarah-Sylvia

Often when a topic is brought up from 1 year ago, it'll get locked, and encouraged to create a new thread if people want to discuss it.
I'm not going to lock it myself, but just mentioning it.

Archived