Article on Ace characters on TV Tropes

Phalena

I have no clue if this ist the right place to put it, so if it has to be moved please feel free to do so!

I've found an article on ace characters in fiction on TV Tropes:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Asexuality

The article itself seems good to me but lacks quotations. And I thought maybe someone here has some reliable sources to use.

Thank you for your help! ❤️

DarkStormyKnight

Oh! I really like what they did here and how they explicitly put in that the character has to be canonically ace. Haven't seen that, that's fun!

15 hours ago, DarkStormyKnight said:

has to be canonically ace

Not necessarily? They have the anime/manga section, and as far as I know that medium is still going to be pretty vague and indirect. I literally read a manga where they all but spelled out that a character was ace, but I assume he didn't make the cut because he's in a sexual relationship by the end of the manga. Also his brother is a decent case for demi, but it's a yaoi manga with a bunch of other problems, so reading 11 volumes might bias readers against seeing that he doesn't display sexual attraction until about 5 volumes in.

EDIT: found the chapter. Or one of them at least. It's the 6th chapter, but I think it's the first in volume 2? Can't tell on the site I'm using and the manga is hecka expensive

Spoiler

(Tomoe is talking to Rick, an American exchange student who is gay an interested in Tomoe.)

Rick: Living under one room with person you love and not doing anything! If that's really the case, then (Kurokawa)-san doesn't love you as much as I love you. Either that, or he is impotent.

Tomoe: Impo...what?

Rick: Whereas I longing for you, longing for you so much I can't sleep at night. Tomoe, you have feeled longing like that before and understand, right?

Tomoe: No....

Rick: Pardon?

Tomoe: I've never felt... any such thing. I guess this might sound... strange?

Rick: Yes.

(later, Kurokawa and Tomoe just had a date and are talking about feelings)

Tomoe: Well, for one thing, I'm a guy, so why can't you just love me as a friend? How is it different?

Kurokawa: Wow, um... there's no concrete reason, it's just... something that you know... It surprised me, too, at first.

Tomoe: I see... It's normal then... I wonder... why everyone else can feel these things so naturally... In high school, there was this girl. We became close friends, but it never developed beyond that. And it wasn't just here. I've never thought of anyone in that way...

Kurokawa: W-Wow... Really?

Tomoe: And Rick - he thinks I'm strange.

Either way, including Luffy who is seen as pretty ace by fans but is going to be kept that way because the author wants to keep romance out of his manga? That's not exactly a true asexual character. 

DarkStormyKnight
19 hours ago, SithGrinch said:

Not necessarily? They have the anime/manga section, and as far as I know that medium is still going to be pretty vague and indirect. I literally read a manga where they all but spelled out that a character was ace, but I assume he didn't make the cut because he's in a sexual relationship by the end of the manga. Also his brother is a decent case for demi, but it's a yaoi manga with a bunch of other problems, so reading 11 volumes might bias readers against seeing that he doesn't display sexual attraction until about 5 volumes in.

EDIT: found the chapter. Or one of them at least. It's the 6th chapter, but I think it's the first in volume 2? Can't tell on the site I'm using and the manga is hecka expensive

Reveal hidden contents

(Tomoe is talking to Rick, an American exchange student who is gay an interested in Tomoe.)

Rick: Living under one room with person you love and not doing anything! If that's really the case, then (Kurokawa)-san doesn't love you as much as I love you. Either that, or he is impotent.

Tomoe: Impo...what?

Rick: Whereas I longing for you, longing for you so much I can't sleep at night. Tomoe, you have feeled longing like that before and understand, right?

Tomoe: No....

Rick: Pardon?

Tomoe: I've never felt... any such thing. I guess this might sound... strange?

Rick: Yes.

(later, Kurokawa and Tomoe just had a date and are talking about feelings)

Tomoe: Well, for one thing, I'm a guy, so why can't you just love me as a friend? How is it different?

Kurokawa: Wow, um... there's no concrete reason, it's just... something that you know... It surprised me, too, at first.

Tomoe: I see... It's normal then... I wonder... why everyone else can feel these things so naturally... In high school, there was this girl. We became close friends, but it never developed beyond that. And it wasn't just here. I've never thought of anyone in that way...

Kurokawa: W-Wow... Really?

Tomoe: And Rick - he thinks I'm strange.

Either way, including Luffy who is seen as pretty ace by fans but is going to be kept that way because the author wants to keep romance out of his manga? That's not exactly a true asexual character. 

I just meant the bit at the end of the article where they say:

Only include someone if they are explicitly asexual. They don't have to use the word asexual, but it needs to be pretty apparent. No Alternative Character Interpretation.

Don't know much about manga so can't really comment on that.

4 hours ago, DarkStormyKnight said:

Don't know much about manga so can't really comment on that.

Just more of the different culture and means of expressing themselves. There are people in Japan who still don't believe in homosexuality for example, I've met one. They recently allowed their first trans permanent resident, I believe (I'd have to look up the article for specifics), and gender-reassignment is interesting when trying to be legally recognized (not hard, just interesing. One person said that she was the "first son" but became the "first daughter" despite her sister also having the "first daughter" title.)

Archived