CBR — Frozen 2: Fans Thought Elsa Might Be Gay, But She May Be Asexual Instead

Homer

Disney's Frozen 2 was one of the most anticipated films to come out in in the history of animation. After the mega-success of Disney's Frozen, fans had high expectations for the second outing — as well as concerns that it wouldn't deliver.

A very vocal undercurrent among the hype was the hope that Elsa in the sequel might end up with a girlfriend. Very shortly after the original's release, Frozen gained a strong LGBTQA fanbase due to how many people in the community identified with Elsa's struggle. They saw Elsa as queer-coded, or someone who is written as part of the LGBTQA community in regard to their actions, wants, desires, but never explicitly confirmed.

Dec 4 — https://www.cbr.com/frozen-2-fans-thought-elsa-might-be-gay-but-she-may-be-asexual-instead/

Unless I'm missing something, the reason people think Elsa is lesbian is because she doesn't have a boyfriend. That just means she's single 😂

In my opinion, it's equally as likely that she's straight, lesbian, bi/pan, or aro. I'd be happy with anything other than straight, honestly

She shows disinterest and minor disgust with the idea of marriage, so I can see the aro/ace idea. 

I personally think she's against getting into a relationship because she's supposed to be a Strong Female Protagonist. In the last Frozen movie, Disney made a big deal over how Anna didn't marry the prince in the end, showing that romance shouldn't be character's first priority.

abandoned-account
6 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

Unless I'm missing something, the reason people think Elsa is lesbian is because she doesn't have a boyfriend. That just means she's single 😂

Yeah, it seems to be a common assumption that lacking a partner of the opposite sex = automatically homosexual.

It's a really annoying one, at that... -_-'

5 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

Unless I'm missing something, the reason people think Elsa is lesbian is because she doesn't have a boyfriend. That just means she's single 😂...

Oh. I've never seen Frozen, so, since I came across several fans saying that the character was gay/represented the LGBT+ community, I thought it must be true/have had some type of slightly romantic gay scenes between the princesses, or something (e.g. holding hands, singing about how much they care for each other, etc.)

I think it's interesting to note that, although Disney's Moana doesn't have a boyfriend, either, I haven't heard anything about the character being presumed to be thought of as LGBT+ representation, the way Elsa in Frozen is.

abandoned-account
2 hours ago, LeChat said:

Oh. I've never seen Frozen, so, since I came across several fans saying that the character was gay/represented the LGBT+ community, I thought it must be true/have had some type of slightly romantic gay scenes between the princesses, or something (e.g. holding hands, singing about how much they care for each other, etc.)

I think it's interesting to note that, although Disney's Moana doesn't have a boyfriend, either, I haven't heard anything about the character being presumed to be thought of as LGBT+ representation, the way Elsa in Frozen is.

The princesses are sisters, and I believe it is very common for siblings (especially women, as it's seen as more socially acceptable) to have a very close emotional bond like that, even involving hugging or holding hands. It does not have to mean their relationship is sexual or even romantic. Besides, I don't think Disney would find it good for their image to have a popular movie character that represents incest.

I think maybe Elsa is more associated with LGBT+ is because her story could be seen as more relatable to those within that community, i.e. the theme of having to conceal their "true selves" from the world around them. Also, it may be that Frozen is much more focused around love/relationships than Moana is (as far as I know anyway, I haven't seen the movie and only know bits of what it's about), and lastly that Frozen has more mainstream popularity. Just my theories, though.

27 minutes ago, Veezle said:

Yeah, it seems to be a common assumption that lacking a partner of the opposite sex = automatically homosexual.

This.

THIS pisses me off so much.

I agree with this quote so much.

Character doesn't have a romantic partner =/= automatically gay. It doesn't even mean they're automatically ace/aro. It just means they're single at the moment, and may or may not get a partner in the future.

I wish people would stop claiming characters are gay just for not having a partner. There's literally no proof that Elsa is gay. If she was really gay, she would probably be experiencing interest in females. Disinterest in men alone =/= automatically gay.

And no, holding another female (her sister's) hands for like 2 seconds in the whole movie doesn't mean anything either, and besides, they're siblings.

Not saying it's bad for people to interpret her as anything - straight, bi, pan, ace, gay, whatever you want, but there's literally no proof for any of those things. The only thing that's clearly "canon" is that she's single. Her sexuality could literally be anything, because it hasn't been implied to be any specific thing - which might be why people are guessing about it.

My points here are that

1. A character without a romantic partner does not automatically make them gay, or even aro/ace. It just means they're single.

2. Regardless of if you think Elsa is gay, ace, pan, bi, straight, etc, there isn't much proof about her sexuality in the movie is.

11 minutes ago, Gatto said:

Just to let others know, who might not be familiar with The Onion site (especially those in other countries), all the articles on it are completely satirical. The "quotes"/"interviews" from supposed real-life people/politicians/creators, etc., aren't real.

Disney have a long history of queer coding characters in their movies, Ursula in the Little Mermaid is a drag queen and Hades in Hercules is a sassy gay villain.

b7a54e79e6ed7248470175a543c1af13.jpg

Ambiguously Gay: Prince John and Sir Hiss are both contenders. It's ironic as historically King John was a notorious womanizer and adulterer and King Richard was the one historians claim may have been homosexual.

RoseGoesToYale

Honestly, would be about time. Disney's wanton obsession with (traditionally very sexist, limiting, and unrealistic notions of) romance has to stop somewhere.

On 12/5/2019 at 12:23 PM, Veezle said:

And if you're not into the same sex, you must be into animals. If not, then you must be an alien.

abandoned-account
16 hours ago, Nanoic said:

Disney have a long history of queer coding characters in their movies, Ursula in the Little Mermaid is a drag queen and Hades in Hercules is a sassy gay villain.

9 hours ago, Gatto said:

b7a54e79e6ed7248470175a543c1af13.jpg

Ambiguously Gay: Prince John and Sir Hiss are both contenders. It's ironic as historically King John was a notorious womanizer and adulterer and King Richard was the one historians claim may have been homosexual.

Having similarities with a stereotype ≠ actually being queer.

Archived