68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you binge things?

• Yes! (all at once)
    • Most of the time, but not always
    • Sometimes (it depends)
    • Rarely
    • No, never! (slow and steady)
    • What's binging?
    • I don't consume anything that could be binged.

This poll is closed to new votes

So, binging means to consume something episodic quickly and all at once. This mostly contrasts with those who consume it week-to-week, one episode at a time. This mostly is used to refer to shows because that's what most people get on a week-to-week basis, but it can also be chapters of comics or manga or fanfiction or whatever that comes out slowly over a set period of time. 

I try and consuming things week-to-week, but it's so hard! Obviously, if I love something enough, I'll jump on it the moment I have the chance, but sometimes I decide to just let it sit until I can consume more of it at a time. Because reading one chapter makes me want one more, watching two episodes makes me want four, etc.

I do binge series on Netflix until late and then I curse myself for lacking sleep afterwards 😅

Sometimes I buy all mangas/books from a serie at once. I read them fairly quickly after that.

I don't binge drink though. I don't see the appeal of being sick in the morning after.

RoseGoesToYale

I don't think I'm a true binger because I can't consume the entirety of a season/manga all at once. At most I can handle maybe 6 episodes or 10 chapters a day respectively. Well, maybe I can binge British shows since they tend to have longer episodes but much shorter series than North American shows.

It depends. I have limited time due to having kids etc, but what I do more is watch something over and over and over again, and find every single thing related to it and watch that over and over. I immerse myself into the world so I'm living and breathing it, and think about it as I'm falling asleep and waking up, and whenever my mind wanders off in the day it's right there. I've done this since I was a little kid and I'm 31 now and still can't stop doing it, the material controls me Y_Y

Nope, a lack of time and attention span both preclude that. 

Closest I ever get is reading a whole book in one sitting 

Anthracite_Impreza

Usually if I discover a series I like, and I have chance, I'll watch a lot (or all, depending on number) at once. I'm by no means a chronic binger though, I can easily leave episodes for later. It's mostly documentaries I watch anyway.

Nope. I like to savor things and take my time going through something like a tv series to make it last.

I do like taking time with a TV series, I prefer the weekly episode style than being able to watch it all at once. 

Mostly for a drama, I'd watch at most 2 episodes at a time. Comedy depends, simpsons I might have on in background as I do puzzle books

AceMissBehaving

If I have the time to I do. If I’m into something I tend to get focused and want to go as far as I can with it. Sometimes it’ll be like 3 episodes at a time of something, but I find watching or reading episodic things as they come out to be frustrating in terms of the allotted “serving size” being too small. Something especially true of comics, I straight up can’t do comics a single issue at a time.

Custard Cream

I have been known to binge properly, but it doesn't happen often.  My current tendency is towards limiting myself to a film or two hours worth of episodes per day, which might be episodes of the same show, but will be probably be two different ones.

everywhere and nowhere
13 hours ago, Saphoune said:

I don't binge drink though. I don't see the appeal of being sick in the morning after.

Literature or not very serious film material such as marble runs - yes.

As for alcohol - I don't just avoid binge drinking, I simply drink no alcohol at all. I don't see the appeal of being even a bit drunk, I feel a lot of contempt for alcohol whenever I can see or hear drunk people.

3 hours ago, CBC said:

Not often, but not for lack of wanting to sometimes. I don't have the ability to focus and concentrate. Which is sad because I used to enjoy watching things a lot more but I just can't very much now. It's the same reason I struggle to read books despite formerly being a massive bookworm. I assume the reason is many years of stress and mental illness and poor overall health.

This. I've been meaning to watch The Irishman but I doubt I'll be able to focus for 3.5 hours straight. If I plan on binging something, I usually wait until I'm in a very good mood or incredibly depressed, so I'm not too distracted by intrusive thoughts. The only thing I dislike about binge watching a tv show is that sometimes it doesn't give me enough time do digest an episode and I once read that it makes you less likely to remember stuff. I still do it, though, because I get too curious to know what happens next. :D

I miss how much of an avid reader I used to be, tbh. Nowadays, not only I have a hard time concentrating, but I also can't remember/retain most of the stuff I read or watched after just a few weeks or months. Anxiety and procrastination affects my hobbies too, which makes my mental health worse, which makes it harder for me to watch or read something and enjoy it properly. It's a cycle that can be hard to break.

i am a pure binger. i'll sit around for days straight consuming the same content. usually it's when i'm ultra depresso expresso, and only my eye balls want to work, so i'll just sit in front of my screen and binge some random show.

I never watched tv much years ago, and never cable, so sometimes I'll discover a series and so called binge to catch up. Not all at once, just a few at a time. Then periodically if they still exist. Usually sky-fic shows. 

I really work on ''hype'', I'm not good at doing things slowly over time; I like to do them a lot in one go.

I won't necessarily finish a show in 1 day, but 2 or 3 days is very likely.

I have a hard time "starting" stuff because I need to feel like I have time ahead of me to do just that : binge, & read/watch/play a lot in one go.

If I wait weeks or months to continue a show or game, I risk losing my hype and never finishing it.

It annoys some people but it's just how I work 

• 1 month later...

Not one to binge  watch, most things that I watch I watch as the episodes air on broadcast but if I have something on DVD or it's On Demand (don't have streaming) I might try to binge watch it but very rarely.

I only binge-watch things, unless it's a show that's still going and I have to wait a week between new episodes. When I was in college, I would watch a season and a half of The X-Files over the course of a weekend. It's like reading for me - would I stop at just one chapter? Heck no, I want to know what happens! If I'm interested in a show enough to keep going with it, I'm interested enough to binge-watch it.

I went for "rarely", because while I never will for a TV show or something that I have to watch (that's time consuming, and I get tired of it), I have been known to spend an entire day reading a long book or a series of books... so for reading I sometimes will. Every now and again, also for playing computer games. Just not for watching things.

• 11 months later...

@SithLord

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived