Monologue from literature/plays about asexuality

anitka

Hi everyone.

I'm searching for a monologue for my audition to an acting school and I wanted it to be a piece of text that would be close to my heart. I was wondering if you know any plays or literature that raise a topic of asexuality? I have a hard time finding any monologue of an asexual character, that would say anything about their feelings connected to being asexual.

If you know any such monologues, I would be super grateful for your help. 
Thank you so much in advance!
x

I think @anitka you might be searching for a long time.  Ace representation appears in very niche media and anything beyond that is looking for representation where none was intended. 

So I do not want to leave you with absolutely nothing.  This monologue has nothing to do with asexuality, though there was/is a cord that resonated with me personally.  I found the words conveyed a true confusion I felt long before I understood that "none of the above" was an option.  

Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing Act II, Scene 3 Benedick's "I do much wonder..." monologue. 

Spoiler

Benedict:

I do much wonder that one man, seeing how much another man is a fool when he dedicates his behaviors to love, will, after he hath laughed at such shallow follies in others, become the argument of his own scorn by failing in love: and such a man is Claudio. I have known when there was no music with him but the drum and the fife; and now had he rather hear the tabour and the pipe: I have known when he would have walked ten mile a-foot to see a good armour; and now will he lie ten nights awake, carving the fashion of a new doublet. He was wont to speak plain and to the purpose, like an honest man and a soldier; and now is he turned orthography; his words are a very fantastical banquet, just so many strange dishes. May I be so converted and see with these eyes? I cannot tell; I think not. One woman is fair, yet I am well; another is wise, yet I am well; another virtuous, yet I am well; but till all graces be in one woman, one woman shall not come in my grace. Rich she shall be, that's certain; wise, or I'll none; virtuous, or I'll never cheapen her; fair, or I'll never look on her; mild, or come not near me; noble, or not I for an angel; of good discourse, an excellent musician, and her hair shall be of what colour it please God.

This passage came to mind whenever my good friends moved into more serious relationships or was shown just how oblivious I was to the 'graces' everyone seemed to see effortlessly. 

Thank you so much @Auld_Mulk, I really appreciate your help. I think I might use this Benedick's monologue somehow.
Thank you once more!

Archived