I want to know about different people's experiences with being trans in different parts of the world.

Nirnroot

I want to know more about the experiences of trans folks in different parts of the world. 

What's it like being trans where you live? Are people accepting or are they mean, or even hostile? 

I'm especially curious about nonbinary folks. Where you live, do people even know that nonbinary is a thing, and do they respect your pronouns, etc? How do people react to you being nonbinary?

What corner of the world are you in?

And finally, when you travel to a completely different place, like to a different area, such as another state, or country, is your experience different at wherever you travel to than it is at home? 

Thanks for taking the time to answer any of these questions, if you do. 

Where i live it kind of have its ups and downs. It has been said(from what the transgender people see it) that Denmark is the worst country to be transgender comparing to Europe. The law at that time here was that transgender people at the age of 18 could take hormones but many wanted to change the law so every transgender people  could take hormones no matter what age they are like in the US. As a non-binary gender fluid female/person i don’t really face discrimination. Because i didn’t told anyone despite my family and friends, they don’t mind my gender identity at all. And i let them use she/her/hers as my pronouns because i don’t want them to be confused about me. I’m glad to be called they/them/theirs and zie,zir,zem. But the thing is my gender identity changes all the time so to not confuse people around me in public or anywhere else i want them to use she/her/hers. Of course Denmark is lgbt friendly but it could be better in that aspect. When i travel to other countries(like if we’re on vacation or if we’re visiting family members or friends) i just choose not to tell people about myself. I only tell them if i can fully trust them and they’re open minded about someone like me.

Janus the Fox

Though I’m from a British country, I’m also from a backward economy deprived area.  I don’t see or hear about anything LGBT.

I'm an enby in Sweden and though I can't speak for the entirety of the country, I'd say that Stockholm is pretty chill, at least compared to many other places. Knowledge about nonbinary identities, and trans people in general, is still scarce but it feels like we've moved forward very quickly in how much the public knows about gender-nonconformity. For example, I still remember when a gender neutral pronoun was introduced in the dictionary and the entire country was having an opinion about it. It became a massive joke that I joined in on, because I was a child and I was being told that using that pronoun was stupid. Now, several years later, it has become pretty mainstream, and you can even hear cis people use it instead of the good old "he or she". Although it has happened that I get harassed swedes in general are not the confrontational type, and mostly I just feel ostracized from society. The general consensus appears to be "oh, this is weird but we don't acknowledge it", which doesn't really open up opportunities for any sort of conversation about it. 
I came out when I was 16 and I was met with mostly two reactions: either people entirely tried to ignore it and act like nothing was different, or they peed themselves with nervousness around me because they had no idea of how to talk to me. Either way, people didn't use the correct pronouns and I always felt like people were relieved when I left. Thankfully Stockholm has a pretty solid queer community so it was easy to find acceptance that way!
I don't travel much and don't go around screaming about my gender identity in areas I don't feel safe, so I can't say much about what it's like in different places, but I think fear of discrimination is definitely one of the reasons that make me apprehensive to travel. 

1 hour ago, frostboot said:

I don't travel much and don't go around screaming about my gender identity in areas I don't feel safe, so I can't say much about what it's like in different places, but I think fear of discrimination is definitely one of the reasons that make me apprehensive to travel. 

Same here. But when i’m traveling to an another country, i aim to not tell people about my gender identity or my sexuality. Only if they’re open minded. And they should make themselves deserved to know it.

I’m in England and I’ve not come out to some people yet but one of my friends I’ve come out didn’t understand gender flux and asked me to stop changing my gender. This was mainly because she only knows the binary genders. Generally though the people in my school are quite homophobic though 

24 minutes ago, Cocothecoconut said:

Same here. But when i’m traveling to an another country, i aim to not tell people about my gender identity or my sexuality. Only if they’re open minded. And they should make themselves deserved to know it.

It's sad how common that is! 
You said you've heard that Denmark is the worst country to be trans in Europe, which makes me curious! Do you have any examples of that? 

19 hours ago, frostboot said:

It's sad how common that is! 
You said you've heard that Denmark is the worst country to be trans in Europe, which makes me curious! Do you have any examples of that? 

I want to correct myself to say that it was said by the transgender people in Denmark that it was the worst country in Europe when it came to take hormones. Cause at that time they could only take hormones when they were 18. That law is changed. So every transgender people can take hormones no matter what age they are. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

Guilli Milli Mu

I’m from Brazil and things are really rough for trans people here. 

First, use the pronouns is difficult, cause the portuguese (principal language) have a gender for every word - even for things like fork. So, to use the non-binary pronouns, it’s necessary change a letter on almost every word.

ele é fofo ( he is cute)

ela é fofa ( she is cute)

elu é fofe ( they is cute)

Cause of that, is really hard to make people use the right pronouns.

Also, every 19 hours, a LGBTQPIA+ person is killed cause is a LGBTQPIA+ person and the average life of a trans woman is 35 years here. All of this makes be very hard to come out of the closet.

Just this year we get homophobia as a crime and, honestly, I don’t know how (looking at the president now).

Brazil have a big and great LGBTQPIA+ community, but is a contry with gigantic transphobic culture.

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

The UK sucks specifically for trans healthcare because unless you go private, public healthcare is taking 4-5 years just to get to an endocrinologist and is worse for Welsh people who are still being referred to London(because I imagine that's expensive though obviously better than when there was no waiting list), and people in Northern Ireland whose waiting list isn't moving at all giving much longer times. So it's like everyone gets decent public healthcare except for us. Though obviously the NHS has other problems with no funding which are affecting everyone, I don't think cis people could understand what our waiting lists are like. I was already delayed before I went to be referred, because of my family delaying things, so I've been out for two and a half years but on the waiting list for only 9 months.

Archived