Is there a term for this?

Purple_Panda

Is there a term for a gender that is influenced by the suggestion of other genders? I’m nonbinary transmasuline, but I’m still wondering if some other terms fit me, and it always happens when I read fanfiction with those other genders in them (like demiboy, which I’ve been going back-and-forth with trying to see if it fits). 

I thought I was genderfluid before landing on nonbinary, and I know gender   IS fluid, but I just pulled down a book off my bookshelf where one of the characters is genderfluid, and I’m wondering again because of that. 

Please tell me I’m not weird and this is something that can and does happen/exist. I just need some help figuring this out. Thank you. 

Can't say I've heard of this before, maybe? If I get it, it does sound like gender-fluid.  They can have 'triggers' that influence them in shifting gender.
If you search for the terms genderfluid + trigger, or triggers, you might find more around this.

I'm not sure where the transmasculine comes in if you shift, but maybe you meant something different like you connect with that one gender in those occasions?
Feel free to share more if you want to try to explain a bit more.

@Sarah-Sylvia, I’m comfortable with the nonbinary label, and transmasuline as well, but every time I see a label that might make more sense or that I think might fit, I wonder if I am that gender. 

I’m just trying to figure out if this is it’s own gender altogether or if I just need to do some more exploring. But every time I try to figure out the new label I think might fit, I get confused and have to stop looking into it for awhile, which is confusing in and of itself. 

5 minutes ago, Purple_Panda said:

@Sarah-Sylvia, I’m comfortable with the nonbinary label, and transmasuline as well, but every time I see a label that might make more sense or that I think might fit, I wonder if I am that gender. 

I’m just trying to figure out if this is it’s own gender altogether or if I just need to do some more exploring. But every time I try to figure out the new label I think might fit, I get confused and have to stop looking into it for awhile, which is confusing in and of itself. 

Hmm. Well, I'm not sure I fully understand yet, but I don't think you need a term for gender that's influenced by suggestions of genders, like you said, if all youre doing is trying to find a label that fits better. Isn't it like everyone, where you're trying to find what label fits your gender?

Can I ask, what is it about transmasculine that you see as non-binary? I'm just asking because the term can have different meanings for it. Non-binary is definitely one way it can be though.
And, try not to worry too much, it's normal to look at different ones and see if they fit. It'll make more sense as you know yourself more and how you feel.

@Sarah-Sylvia, I’m nonbinary, but I lean more toward the masculine side of the spectrum. 

2 minutes ago, Purple_Panda said:

@Sarah-Sylvia, I’m nonbinary, but I lean more toward the masculine side of the spectrum. 

And what makes you non-binary? That you also relate to the female gender (but to a lesser degree)?

If that's the case then transmasculine makes sense, and more specifically demiguy, since transmasculine is a bigger term that can also include trans men.
Does it make sense to you?

That Ginger Kid

I’ve never heard of anything that would cover that, but the cool thing with gender is you can kinda just make your own. I know tons of people who felt a certain way about their gender and created a term for it. And then others can see it and maybe ID with it as well. Or you could always just stick with nb or genderfluid or whatever feels right. At the end of the day, you choose how you express and experience your own gender :)

It sounds like you are just still questioning. If you were to find a label that fit perfectly, what purpose would that label serve for you? Because in the end labels are tools we use for certain purposes. 

To me it sounds like you are looking for confirmation that you are okay the way you are, that you aren't weird and that you aren't the only one.  

Labels are only useful up to a certain point. They cluster large groups of people together, but they don't ever describe anyone perfectly. They can't. People, and the world, are too complicated to be perfectly captured by a label. That's why in the end you've got to settle for something that's close enough. Or you can mix and match a couple of labels until you've got something satisfactory.

So what I'm saying is, you are okay the way you are, you aren't weird and you aren't the only one, and you don't need an overly specific label to be sure of that.

'Fluid' sounds close enough to me. Add in a pinch of 'questioning' and some 'transmasculine', and when you want to get really specific when you come out to someone, explain the 'influence' thing to them in your own words.

I'm on my phone, sorry for any typos or grammatical errors.

Archived