Christmas celebrators: When do you put up your tree?

Grumpy Alien

TREEEEEES  

104 members have voted

1. 1. When do you put up your tree?

• Before December
    • December 1-10
    • December 11-20
    • December 21-23
    • December 24
    • December 25
    • After December 25
    • I don’t celebrate, I just like polls
    • I do celebrate but don’t like trees
    • Other
  2. 2. Real or fake?

• Real tree
    • Artificial tree
    • Both
    • Neither
    • I hate/don’t celebrate Christmas but might hug trees
    • Trees are ugly

This poll is closed to new votes

Giftmas can go die in a car accident. Nothing here except a crapload of gingerbread :D 

We would put up the tree the weekend after Thanksgiving, so normally around the 30th of Nov or 1st of Dec. 

My cats loved the tree when they were kittens. Glad it's always an artificial one now that I hear the dangers of a real tree. Now my cat is too old and lazy to do more than walk under it and try and swat off the low-hanging decorations. 

I find it rather interesting how many pets seem to love climbing on the tree. Our cat never tried that as far as I can recall. But then again, when she was young she didn't like playing, at all. Playing only started onces she turned like 11 or so. But still no interest in the tree. XD

My family puts up the artificial tree usually around Early-Mid December. Sometimes we do it early, other years we wait until Mid because the dogs knock it over

We set up the artificial tree in the first week of December usually. 

Our tree doesn't go down.  It's a fake tree so doesn't require upkeep, and it adds some green/color/light to the place.

Cleopatra VII
On 12/1/2019 at 4:48 PM, Ennis said:

We put it up on Christmas Eve. It's a Christmas tree after all, not an Advent tree or a December tree...

Traditionally the tree stays up until Epiphany (6th January) in Protestant households or even until Candlemas (February 2nd) in Catholic households. Since it's a real tree it wouldn't keep its needles much longer meaning that putting it up before Christmas Eve wouldn't work.

Same with me. We put it on Christmas Eve and keep it up to Candlemas.

Comrade Kitty

Usually my family puts it up the first or second week in December, but this year we had people over at our house the Saturday after Thanksgiving. So my mom wanted all the Christmas decor up by then..... I'll just say, putting everything up in a day... by myself, was no fun. But now I don't have to worry about it! 

Too much trouble and what do you do with the dead tree? There are trees outside, and there alive.

8 hours ago, Balance said:

what do you do with the dead tree?

Here the city collects them and turns them into mulch. If your city doesn't do that there are other ways to reuse/recycle the trees. The good thing about trees is they are a renewable resource, and most Christmas trees are grown on farms for the express purpose of becoming Christmas trees. :) 

I put up the tree after Thanksgiving but not too far into December, really depends on my mood on when it goes up.

We've had real ones when I was growing up (insert coming home from school and finding the cat knocked the tree down ._. ), now we've had a fake one for a few years.

Mom wants a real one again, but I prefer the fake: 1) its tinier and easier to put up and away 2) I can bend the branches to keep ornaments on 3) our cat hasn't tried to eat it since the first year we got her and I don't trust her not to eat a real one 4) no pine needles 5) lights come equip already

We put our tree up as soon as the Christmas tree in the Vatican is lit. We always use an artificial tree because we like the permanence of it, and it's part of our family tradition.

My christmas tree is heavily decorated in silver garland, the usual red and silver ornaments, and some family photos.

IT'S VEGETAL CRUELTY!!! 

No but seriously. 

As a child I always hated that we had to kill a tree each Christmas. I wanted to buy a tree in a pot which would stay in the garden the whole year and briefly be invited in and decorated for Christmas. 

But then I got a better idea. The tree growing in the garden, and bird food instead of the baubles. What better decoration than live birds? 

@NoelciMeta

OOOOOoooo, I like that idea. It is a waste of a living tree in that aspect when you mention that,  my biggest problem with live trees in a house is the mess during and after inside. So an outdoors tree would be great, you could also decorate it for other holidays then too since it'll be around all year without cutting another tree down! 🌲

We usually put our tree up either on the 1st of December or right before it (so I checked both the options there, because it depends on time and so forth). It's an artificial tree, which to some extent I feel bad about because it's plastic, but at least it's only the second one we've had in my life, so we keep them a long time. Plus, now that we have cats, a real tree is pretty much out. I'd also feel bad about cutting down an actual tree and not planting it, so there's that.

After we took our cats in several years ago we've gone to hanging most of the ornaments on a garland along the ceiling where the cats can't get them, so the tree mostly has nice glowy lights and what ornaments are cat safe and fairly indestructable. The tree is also weighted, so they can't knock it over. They do climb in it occasionally, but mostly they just like to lie under it.

17 minutes ago, Remmirath said:

We usually put our tree up either on the 1st of December or right before it (so I checked both the options there, because it depends on time and so forth). It's an artificial tree, which to some extent I feel bad about because it's plastic, but at least it's only the second one we've had in my life, so we keep them a long time. Plus, now that we have cats, a real tree is pretty much out. I'd also feel bad about cutting down an actual tree and not planting it, so there's that.

After we took our cats in several years ago we've gone to hanging most of the ornaments on a garland along the ceiling where the cats can't get them, so the tree mostly has nice glowy lights and what ornaments are cat safe and fairly indestructable. The tree is also weighted, so they can't knock it over. They do climb in it occasionally, but mostly they just like to lie under it.

I do the same thing with the glass/breakable ornaments too! These stupidly fragile bulbs we have are hung from a light-up garland on the wall and the bendable branches are pushed up to give the cats more space underneath since they will be there no matter what and to reduce ornaments/decoration causalities. Although my current cats luckily never tried to climb the tree so we've never had to look into a weighted tree, but glad to know those exist incase. XD

3 hours ago, BreeMoo said:

I do the same thing with the glass/breakable ornaments too! These stupidly fragile bulbs we have are hung from a light-up garland on the wall and the bendable branches are pushed up to give the cats more space underneath since they will be there no matter what and to reduce ornaments/decoration causalities. Although my current cats luckily never tried to climb the tree so we've never had to look into a weighted tree, but glad to know those exist incase. XD

Our cats really like climbing. We have a bunch of things for them to climb on, but they're always eager to try out the new things. Less so than when they were kittens, but still.

I should clarify that the tree didn't come weighted; we weight it down with two 32lb tent weights (which is probably overkill, but they're what we have). There might be ones that come that way, though - that would be a useful thing.

2 hours ago, Remmirath said:

Our cats really like climbing. We have a bunch of things for them to climb on, but they're always eager to try out the new things. Less so than when they were kittens, but still.

I should clarify that the tree didn't come weighted; we weight it down with two 32lb tent weights (which is probably overkill, but they're what we have). There might be ones that come that way, though - that would be a useful thing.

Ohhhhh...that's a smart move then, and let's be honest cats are tricky things and what seems like overkill might be the reason it works :D And yea, a weighted tree should be a thing if it isn't. Like trees have been knocked down for generations I'd assume, having a fake one that has extra weight on the bottom seems pretty plausible of an idea. 

My family stick to tradition. The tree comes in on the evening of dec 23rd and not an hour earlier! We put the lights in then but no further decoration. We decorate the tree together on the morning of Christmas eve.

"Same procedure as last year"

"Same procedure every year."

We usually put the tree up the weekend before Christmas (it's gone up on the 24th before!), but we've been radical this year and put it up on the 15th 😅. It's an artificial (about 2m tall) that we've had for 7-8 years, though I think my mother is planning to go back to real for next year and get a small (1m or so) tree.

Mysterywriter221
On 12/5/2019 at 1:35 AM, Balance said:

Too much trouble and what do you do with the dead tree? There are trees outside, and there alive.

I carry mine out to my chicken's garden. It makes a nice cover for them. 

The tree is usually the final piece that comes up, at a few days before Christmas. Though general decorating start at 1st December, we are of the subset of people who'd NEVER start before then. I am surprised to see how common it is to put up trees early, but there might be a difference in if it is a real tree or not. We always use real, usually fetched from the local wood, with permission. Even when watered properly, they don't look pretty forever.

For some reason, none of the cats we've had have been really messing with the tree or decorations much. Guess we're fortunate that way.

The dead tree is later burned on the bonfire at Valborg (Walpurgisnacht) which we also celebrate.

I celebrate and enjoy others' decorations, but I don't decorate or set up a tree. Maybe if I were hosting or entertaining I would, but I haven't yet.

A few days before Christmas Eve our gardener and a helper use a boom lift to decorate the fir tree in front of the house, ~ 230 years old, 25 m high.

Yes, it is a real tree :-)

And, no, we do not use tinsel. Also, no sweets - "harvesting" them would be too difficult. Instead about 80 kg of chocolates are distributed to all children in the poorer families in the town. Social Services here are very diligent and dedicated and cooperate nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I put up a tree December 1 and leave it up until the needles fall, early/mid January. or until it makes my allergies bad. 

I love a real tree but I am also allergic to them. 

Archived