Winter sports

Piotrek

Winters sports poll  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch winter sports on TV?

• Yes, when I can
    • No, I don't care
  2. 2. If you responded yes to the 1st question, what's you favourite sport to watch?

• Cross-county Skiing
    • Snowboarding
    • Speed skating
    • Ski jumping
    • Freestyle skiing
    • Alpine skiing
    • Sledding (e.g bobsleigh)
    • Other
    • I responded no
  3. 3. Do you practice any winter sports?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

The World Cup season in winter sports is upon us, so I thought I'd start a poll to see if people care. I also added a question for those who like to put skiis or skates on.

Note that hockey and curling are excluded. It's on purpose. I wanted to focus on the sports contested on the World Cup event circuit basis.

Let's discuss :) My vote will go to ski jumping although in the recent years I've been mostly just following the results rather than actively watching on TV.  I don't practice any winter sports.

As a Swede cross-county is almost religon.

I hate all sports

Anthracite_Impreza

The closest I've ever been to a winter sport is driving my 3 series BMW through a blizzard on sports tyres halfway up a mountain.

33 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

As a Swede cross-county is almost religon.

Yeah, I think that is the case in Scandinavia in general. 

11 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

The closest I've ever been to a winter sport is driving my 3 series BMW through a blizzard on sports tyres halfway up a mountain.

Sounds more like an extreme sport to me :D 

Btw. I added a multiple choice option to the second question.

I voted speed-skating. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with it, because my parents were so into it, that back in the day it was the only thing on TV during tournament weekends, and let me tell you, there's only so many 10K's you can watch before it drives you insane :lol: , but I've learnt to appreciate it over time (plus I love to go skating whenever there's ice out).

And yes, my parents were the kind of people to wake up in the middle of the night to watch the competitions broadcasted in Salt Lake City or Nagano - and register all the Dutch skaters' times and points :P

Anyway..I also really like watching cross-country/biathlon and snowboarding (and ski-jumping on the 1 January)

38 minutes ago, SpaceDustbin said:

(and ski-jumping on the 1 January)

Only then? 

everywhere and nowhere

Reply to question 1: no, because I don't watch TV at all and won't make an exception just for sports.

However, I would enjoy watching ski jumping, Nordic combined, Alpine skiing, biathlon, figure skating and in case of the first two, I have been to competitions personally. Myself, I'm familiar with Alpine skiing, cross-country skiing and very basic ice-skating. Really very basic - the most complicated "figure" I can perform is turning left or right, I can't even skate backwards. So it's more like "speed" (or rather distance, because I'm unable to move fast) skating on modified amateur figure skates. (By "modified" I mean having the first toe-pick sawed away. I kept hooking on the ice surface with it, and since I can't do anything more complicated than complete, for example, 2 km while skating on and on around the track, I don't even use toe-picks.)

Oh. I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a "sometimes" option.

I used to watch figure skating on T.V. a lot, every year. I like watching all of the winter sports when the Olympics are on.

I used to skate a lot, growing up, but, eventually, my parents said they couldn't take me because the rink was too far and cost too much gas money. Right now, I'm more into cycling; I used to walk/jog/run a lot more.

Janus the Fox

I’ve watched some winter sports, usually the olympics, something’s the shooting sports or the multi event ones, penthalthon or biathlon if I remember well. Ski jumping is pretty cool.  Never practiced it, but have been a fan of Snowboarding video games like SSX.

1 hour ago, Nowhere Girl said:

However, I would enjoy watching ski jumping, Nordic combined, Alpine skiing, biathlon, figure skating and in case of the first two, I have been to competitions personally.

I briefly thought about going to a ski jumping World Cup event, but I decided against it because of crowds and, most of all, logistics and cost.

1 hour ago, LeChat said:

Oh. I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a "sometimes" option.

Sorry, I tried to keep it as simple as possible.

Also, with my crappy sense of balance, the very though about me skating, makes me cringe.

6 hours ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

I hate all sports

Oh, no... come on... be a sport... 😁

3 hours ago, Piotrek said:

Only then? 

I do too. It's a tradition (watching ski jumping on the 1st of January).

When I was young(er) it was all skiing (downhill and cross country) and some figure skating (and watching ice hockey now and again live) in winter. Now my knees and hips are bust. Not from watching ice hockey I quickly add.

everywhere and nowhere
2 hours ago, Piotrek said:

briefly thought about going to a ski jumping World Cup event, but I decided against it because of crowds and, most of all, logistics and cost.

Why World Cup? I have been to all kinds of events, from a few World Cup events to completely local ones, mostly with schoolchildren or even organised training sessions. Once I went to Zakopane when Norwegian teams reserved the hills and were training there - every day I would go to the jumping hills and spend several hours watching the athletes and talking to some I knew.

And in fact, I vastly prefer women's events - because women's ski jumping (and, even more, the almost non-existant women's Nordic combined) is political. And I am a political person, I love having the feeling that something is political. Or - that everything is political - this is what I call "the panpolitical feeling"...

I remember when, in 2004, four women jumpers from Norway, Sweden and USA were invited to take part in ski flying as test jumpers. Being able to use a ski flying hill is a rare thing, also because trainings are held there only directly before competitions, no "free trainings". And the then-president of the International Ski Federation, Thorbjørn Yggeseth, fought with really pathetic zeal - which was already seen as paternalistic and anti-feminist, and not as appropriate from a purely sport-based point of view - against allowing these women to jump. I still keep a few funny images created at that time:

Satyra-Sagen-Yggeseth-3.jpg

[What he says: I don't want a jumper to end up injuring herself.

What he thinks: I don't want a woman to jump further than I did. :P]

Now that I think about it, I really like watching the newer Olympics' snowboard cross events (where several snowboarders are all on the same course at the same time), the snowboard time trial events (where two snowboarders race against each other, one on each separate course).

I've been curious about trying to snowboard or ski.

36 minutes ago, LeChat said:

Now that I think about it, I really like watching the newer Olympics' snowboard cross events (where several snowboarders are all on the same course at the same time),.

That is a really good event

I do like Alpine/downhill skiing. 

However, my favourite winter sport is not in the winter Olympics as it doesn't need snow or ice, but it will be ran even if there is. It is Cyclo Cross

I do occasionally, mainly during the Olympics simply because of a) time, and b) most of the coverage is on subscription channels. As a youngster Ski Sunday was mandatory viewing 

I LOVE watching winter sports. It started when I was younger and my father was always watching them. I would join him and watch, asking questions to understand how the sports worked and all that. It kind of became our bounding activity. We would watch all kinds of winter sports. Nowadays, it is kind of hard for me to watch them, but every time I go home on weekends and it's winter sports time, I still watch them with him and get into all classifications and such. I can't answer the second question, because I enjoy almost all of these mentioned.

Winter sports?

Ha. 

It's too warm for any snow here.

I could not ski even if my life depended on it🤣

There's this old joke that goes

"Why are Germans so good at biathlon?"

"Well, shooting and then running off into the forest, that's just their thing."

That being said, biathlon is pretty neat to watch. Same goes for cross country skiing. I'll never understand how ski jumping came about though. Who thought "Hey, let's put some boards under our feet and jump down that humongous hill!"???

Now with that being said, I don't do winter sports. Walking is difficult enough on a dry and even surface :D

Not into sports regardless of season. And growing up in southern California there wasn't much opportunity for participating in winter sports even if I had cared.

That said, I did learn ice skating (got a couple of certificates). That was a good way to get out of the heat (indoor ice rinks). :) 

I've lived most of my life in Cali. Winter sports require traveling quite a decent distance from where I lived. They look fun, and I enjoy ice skating and wish I could more. Best part of Sweden was how easy ice skating was. I went so often...

i love participating in and watching winter sports! i mainly watch snowboarding and hockey, as those are the two that i actively practice and participate in. but honestly, winter sports are my absolute favorite, so i’ll literally watch any of them. also, i don’t know if this counts, but i find curling oddly fun to watch and play. plus winter is the best season!

On 12/2/2019 at 10:43 PM, Homer said:

That being said, biathlon is pretty neat to watch.

Nail-bite inducing,no? "Will he/she hit that mark or not?" Also, aparently biathlon was originally called ski patrol, when it was first demonstated at the Olympics.

On 12/2/2019 at 10:43 PM, Homer said:

Who thought "Hey, let's put some boards under our feet and jump down that humongous hill!"???

Yeah, those Norwegians have weird ideas :D It's spectacular to watch, though. 

As for skating skills mentioned by @daveb @CBC et al. , good for you. With my crappy sense of balance I'd be sitting on my behind after 30 seconds :D 

I don't Watch at all no, but to be fair I don't really find fun to watch people do stuff usually. If I like Something I prefer to do it than watching others do it. And that aside, I don't like many sports.

I did a lot of ski though (I come from a rather snowy area). Got all my ''diplomas''/levels (if they can be called that) and did a bit of competition. Not so much now, I'm too busy.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to bump the thread a bit.

The first ski jumping event of the Four Hills Tournament starts in 20 minutes :) 

On 11/30/2019 at 2:42 PM, SpaceDustbin said:

(and ski-jumping on the 1 January)

Did you watch it then? 

• 11 months later...

@Piotrek

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived