Opinions on Christmas Music

SithLord

Opinion on Christmas Music  

165 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 (hate it) to 10 (love it), how do you feel about Christmas music, or the music that generally plays during the holidays?

• 1 (hate it)
    • 10 (LOVE IT)
    • 0 (no opinion, please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

I picked 5 because it's a complicated relationship.  As a kid, I loved it.  As a young adult who was not Christian, I hated it for a time.  Now, I wouldn't seek it out but there are some very lovely songs.  Andrew Bird just came out with a (loosely) Christmas EP and that's pretty cool.  I have a soft spot for certain songs that are just beautiful despite the fact that they are religious and I'm not ("O Holy Night" is definitely one). 

I like the cheesyness of "All I want for Christmas is you" and "Last Christmas" and there is "Christmas in Hollis" and some non Christmas-Christmas music like "Let it snow" and "Wizards of Winter". But then there is some I dislike like Don't they know it's Chtistmas" "Little Drummer Boy" and "Joy to the World"

It really depends on the song!

I love Christmas music. Always have and always will. Although, it has to be a specific kind of Christmas music; give me baroque classical, brass band and Slade and I'm a happy owl!

It really depends on  the song like I don't mind most of  the traditional Christmas songs (ex. deck the halls) but modern (1900-present) ones are hit and miss case in point I like winter wonderland (especially the eurythmics version) or even do you hear what I hear(which has an interesting story for why it was written) , but I can not stand ones like Santa baby or last Christmas (there is a reason for the second one) so over all some love and some hate.

44 minutes ago, CBC said:

Hahaha. Yesssss. Same. I feel like people would expect me to be more Grinch and less Buddy, but I'm not.

I think same except anyone that knows me knows I go crazy during winter. I’m super anti tradition, I don’t speak to 95% of my blood relatives, and I’m agnostic/atheist. But... I just really love Christmastime. 🤷‍♀️ 

If I have a say in what gets played... definitely 10/10, love it. But even I may lose my patience at some point if the local radio station keeps on repeating the only 30 Christmas songs they own :lol:

Some of my favourites are Darlene Love's Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) and All Alone on Christmas, Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody (for some reason we always had to sing this with the whole school :lol:  ), Lonely This Christmas (Mud), A Spaceman Came Travelling (Chris de Burgh) and secretly also the cheesy 'big three' (Last Christmas, All I Want... and Do They Know...).

From 'classic' songs, I love O Come All Ye Faithful and We Wish You....

Phantasmal Fingers

Bach's Christmas Oratorio? Yes! 😀

Handel's Messiah? Yes! ☺️

Locatelli's (and other Italian Baroque composers') Christmas Concerti Grossi? Yes! 😀

Various carols - sung in a cathedral by someone with a decent voice? Yes! 🙂

Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole? Oh go on then, alright. 😂

Anything else? Err... no. 🙄

firewallflower

I don't celebrate Christmas (my "holiday season" was a couple months back, when all the Jewish holidays happened :P), so for me, it gets old fast and irksome faster. It's not even necessarily anything to do with the music itself (opinions on specific songs would depend on the specific songs, and with no other associations at play, some are to my taste and some aren't)—but it's the very Christmasiness of it all that makes me feel isolated and annoyed. (Yeah, I daresay I'm a grinch. A peaceful one, because I wouldn't actually want to ruin other peoples' holiday and I'm genuinely glad they are having a good time. But still, internally a grinch.)

Exception: I'd love to turn on the radio or walk into a building and hear Jonathan Coulton's "Chiron Beta Prime" playing one of these days. That would be awesome. 😂

• 3 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

I don't have any opinion on Christmas music. for me it's just "meh, let it be". I don't really pay attention to what's played on the radio anyway.

Giftmas as a whole can go die in a car crash.

Rare Aztec Whstling Chickn

Can't say I care for it, but whatever floats your goat I spose

Luckily using Christmas songs as "Muzak" is rather unpopular here. I cannot stand those kitschy versions played ad nauseam in department stores etc. Good classical Christmas music I like very much, however. Some of the songs are very old, and when played and sung in the original version they can send a shower down the spine. This way it is not kitsch but traditional expression of christian belief, like in church music generally. There is a huge difference between an amateur ensemble playing and singing with honest effort traditional Christmas songs on the market place (and often doing it rather well) and the umpteenth pop-style cover versions of them blaring from loudspeakers.

Instrumental Christmas music is beautiful, but only for special occasions. Playing 50s Christmas music all December would be pretty awful.

possibly an unpopular opinion, buuuuuut i despise the classical/instrumental Christmas music (coming from someone who actually loves regular classical music). and i hate all the Pentatonix stuff too. but hell, if you play some cheesy 40s or 50s Christmas tunes, i’ll be your best friend (not really, but you get my point). i don’t care how many times i’ve heard those same old Christmas songs, if they’re terrible earworms, or if they’ve all been overplayed... i will keep listening in pure glee. unless it isn’t December, in that case, get outta here with your Christmas music, i don’t want to hear it.

On 11/26/2019 at 6:04 PM, bare_trees said:

Andrew Bird just came out with a (loosely) Christmas EP and that's pretty cool

ahh, i’m a such a sucker for his music, so it’s no surprise that i loved that EP!

5 minutes ago, kenny. said:

possibly an unpopular opinion, buuuuuut i despise the classical/instrumental Christmas music (coming from someone who actually loves regular classical music)

😮😮

13 minutes ago, Moony's Boy Child said:

😮😮

you’ll have to forgive me, mother... 

Just now, Moony's Boy Child said:

(I had a friend whose mom made them do that, btw. I didn't just completely make that up, haha.)

lmao at first it was completely out of left field!

The stuff you hear in stores are usually the absolute worst. But there is also SO MUCH christmas music I actively love. And there are the ones that are in the middle ground of 'I don't like this but I have heard it enough for it to be nostalgic and funny to me'.

So one answer is, "it depends" and another answer is, well, I listen to christmas music throughout the entirety of december, so there is that. I have a fondness for both churchmusic, carols, metal covers and some of the modern ones, so I can't even say "I only like _________ type of christmas music" It is a bit all over the place. Some that I absolutely hate include the 'mommy kissing santa' one, and also 'all I want for christmas is you'.

I went with 5, because the generally insipid music that's played all December long (starting in November if you're unlucky) in stores and restaurants I find annoying and generally dislike, but there is some really nice Christmas music that I enjoy and willingly listen to, albeit usually only around the actual holiday itself. So, on the whole, I'm pretty neutral on it.

I'll stick to the boring opinion: It depends. Most songs related to Christmas are neutral to me. But I really like the song in the spoiler box. I heard it for hours today and I'm still not tired of it.

Spoiler

Archived