Opinions on Christmas Music

SithLord

Opinion on Christmas Music  

165 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 (hate it) to 10 (love it), how do you feel about Christmas music, or the music that generally plays during the holidays?

• 1 (hate it)
    • 10 (LOVE IT)
    • 0 (no opinion, please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

So I'm not a big fan of the music that plays almost non-stop from October to January, mostly because it's repetative as frick. How many times do I have to listen to "Last Christmas"? It doesn't matter if 6 different people cover the song, you don't have to play it 6 times!

10 - no question about it!

I could listen to Christmas music all year round ❤️  (Pentatonix Christmas music is just phenomenal and is my favorite, but I'll take all Christmas music in general! :D)

Some is alright, most is shit, just like music in general.  Music is mostly just noise to me.

I really do love Christmas songs. The same thing every year is comforting. 

Except the song Last Christmas. Fuck that repetitive earworm. I don't want to hear your whiny story about some girl who dumped you. Sing about some goddamn snowmen. 

Most of it isn't something I go out of my way to listen to, but I'll at least tolerate it if I hear it after Thanksgiving. If I hear it before that then I think "Ugh, too early".

A lot of Christmas music (and music in general) sounds terrible to my ears, and I dislike it. It's too high pitched and rushed and whatever.

That said, despite being atheist, I do like a lot of Christmas hymns, although it depends on the singer(s) and instruments (a bad voice can make the best songs terrible) (I personally prefer ones sung by an adult choir). Songs like Adeste Fidelis, Silent Night, O Come, O Come Emmanuel, O Holy Night,  are all good songs.

Also, I don't get out much, so I don't hear it blaring out of speakers often enough for it to become repetitive and unpleasant.

It depends on when it's played. Close to Christmas, I like it. Any time before? Can't stand it. 

RoseGoesToYale

I selected 5, because it really depends. Some of it can be fun, like older jazzy 1940s songs, or beautiful and peaceful, especially instrumentals like this:

Spoiler

However, this is never what gets blasted on the radio. No, walk into any store, and you will hear playing the most inane, insane, most ANNOYING modern squeaky whiny remix holiday songs they can possibly find! And people wonder why they get so tired of christmas music, it's because nobody bothers to play the peaceful stuff!

AceMissBehaving

I loath it. Possibly from years of working retail and hearing the same handful of songs over and over for months on end. These days hearing it still gives me a sick feeling in my stomach and stresses me out. 

I can agree that the more nuanced stuff you can find on YouTube or in special albums can be quite good. It's the repetitive poppy-while-still-somehow-not stuff that is played every hour on a loop that bothers me.

What does it say about me that the ones I still like are the ones we'd sing in church or with our church Youth Group? I'm not even a Christian anymore and am pretty anti-theist, but god do I want to start bellowing out "Oh come, all ye faithful," right now. 

I like it quite a bit, even some of the "pop" songs, along with old standards, and various other ones. There are some Christmas songs I find really annoying (I won't mention them since I don't want to get them lodged in my head). I have my own pretty eclectic Christmas/Yule song playlist I break out during the season. For a long time I was buying a new Christmas album each year so I could rip the songs I like to my computer. I don't mind the stuff played in shops since I don't spend a lot of time there. Listening to the songs I like makes me feel festive.

2 minutes ago, Moony's Boy Child said:

I want to hear what @ColeHW34 has to say about it 😂

I voted on 1 

Just now, Moony's Boy Child said:

@ColeHW34 I was hoping for a rant.

Not really in a ranty mood

I had two jobs in retail and the manager would only let us play Christmas music. One year I heard The Little Drummer Boy 257 times between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'll be happy if I never hear that song again. Christmas music is ok in small doses but a nonstop assault on my ears is enough to make Santa himself hate Christmas

On 11/25/2019 at 9:34 PM, CBC said:

And staples like 'Fairytale of New York' (The Pogues) and 'Old City Bar' (Trans-Siberian Orchestra). Just had a convo about Christmas music with a friend recently and he told me about "a really good, misanthropic Elvis Costello/The Chieftains track called The St. Stephen's Day Murders, about killing your family after Christmas", which is quite enjoyable. 😬😂

Great song choices :D
There's a lot of good punk x-mas songs, "Fox" *explicit* (The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing) "Oi To The World!" / "My First X-mas (As A Woman)" *explicit* (The Vandals) "Credit Crunch X-Mas" (Toy Dolls). 
Or some random stuff like "Shot My Baby For Christmas" (The Vaudevilles), "Santa Baby" (Eartha Kitt) and some nerdy x-mas music like "Up On My Housetop: A Hello Neighbor Song" (Random Encounters) "Carol Of The Turrets" (Harry Callaghan)
X-mas music is wonderful lol. But that stuff they play everywhere you go gets hard to ignore. Worked in retail for awhile, thankfully i was in the back and able to drown it out with better music. Got some funny looks if people came in back though :lol: 

Even as a Christian (a dying breed it seems :( ) I don't like Biblical Christmas music, or Christian rock for that matter (Great, no "yuck" smiley anymore thanks to the emoji explosion).

I'm not a music lover. Most of what little I do like, I like it because of the instrumentals. However, I like Natalie Cole's cover of Jingle Bells; I discovered that through the 1994 version of Miracle on 34th Street. Another favourite of mine is Tom Petty's "Christmas All Over Again". Snoopy's Christmas was one of my favourites but has sort of worn out its welcome with me; I have that on 8-track, and that includes the rather long introduction that sounds like a WWI radio broadcast followed by a short clip of a male choir singing "O Tannenbaum", something I never hear on the radio.

I have my own Christmas playlist, though strongly with a lot of sufjan Stevens songs 😉

It really depends as that playlist has as well low, she & him, allo darlin,  and puppini sisters but some other singers too as I was looking on iTunes for a Mahalia Jackson song that 6music played so out of these I ended up adding a double album of oldish Christmas songs

I personally hate Christmas music. It's usually either too mushy or sappy for my liking, or it's just Mariah Carey's song being repeated over and over 10,000,000,000 times.

Around December it's impossible to go out into public or anywhere with a radio without being forced to hear "All I want for Christmas... is... YOUUUUUUUUUUUU!" 50,000 times. It's even worse when every single celebrity on Earth has to do their own cover and then those covers get put onto the radio, so then the radio is just 90% Mariah Carey and the other 9% is celebrity covers of Mariah Carey, so it's just an endless cycle of "All I want for Christmas... is... YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

Also, songs like "Baby it's cold outside" or anything with excess sex/romance in it can go die in a fire.

I’m basically Buddy the Elf so 10

There are some favorites among the chaff, but mostly these days, I prefer parody songs to actual XMas songs. The St. Stephen's Day Murders is one of those which works too.

The repetitive nature of the music makes me nuts, and it really is an assault on the ears and mind, yes, even the orchestral and choir pieces.

https://www.businessinsider.com/christmas-music-bad-for-mental-health-2017-11

Fairytale of New York only gets airplay at Christmas so 2 rather than 1

I don't usually classify the music I listen to this way.

I don't think I really like Christian anthems for Christmas but that's not so much because of the songs themselves than it's me, tired of being forced to go to church when my parents know for a fact that I'm an atheist

Otherwise I like getting in the Christmas mood. Maybe it doesn't count as such or people think it's commercial but I love putting on Sia's Christmas album when holidays are coming up 💕

Janus the Fox

Severely repetitive every day for the whole of 2 months, then very suddenly, nothing by the New Year’s Day.  

everywhere and nowhere

Traditional Christmas carols - yes please.

Christmas songs a la "Last Christmas", or Christmas carols in a cheeryhappy pop arrangment - I hate it.

Generally I like Christmas music it's warm, soft and comforting but some songs are insanely repetitive and twitch inducing.

“All I want for Christmas is you” is torture.

Archived