What do you identify most strongly with?

crazy ace

What do you identify most strongly with?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Sexual or romantic orientation?

• Sexual
    • Romantic
    • Both (like if your sexual and romantic attraction are the same)
    • Neither
  2. 2. Race or ethnicity

• Race
    • Ethnicity
    • Neither

This poll is closed to new votes

As above, so below (The title)

Can you define race & ethnicity? Because while I know I studied them in school, they've ceased to mean anything to me other than answered "white" or "none" when asked (because a lot of census stuff I've filled out have basically asked only about Hispanic ethnicities, and not really anything else)

5 minutes ago, SithGrinch said:

Can you define race & ethnicity? Because while I know I studied them in school, they've ceased to mean anything to me other than answered "white" or "none" when asked (because a lot of census stuff I've filled out have basically asked only about Hispanic ethnicities, and not really anything else)

Race: Inherited skin color, hair color/type, bone structure, etc.

Ethnicity: Inherited culture and nationality (Hispanic, Irish, German, Ugandan, Rwandan, Chinese, Japanese, etc.)

For example, your race might be black but your ethnicity might be Hispanic.

6 minutes ago, CBC said:

I can't choose on the first one, they're both just orientation to me, and as a sexual person I refer to the whole thing as my "sexual orientation". But that doesn't mean sex is more important to me than romance or whatever.

Thanks, I'll make amends.

1 minute ago, crazy ace said:

Ethnicity: Inherited culture and nationality (Hispanic, Irish, German, Ugandan, Rwandan, Chinese, Japanese, etc.)

For example, your race might be black but your ethnicity might be Hispanic.

That one's difficult, but I guess then my ethnicity would be non-native American? Though that's never an option on the dang surveys I fill out.

Guess my answer was correct then, because I identify more with my "race" (social construct as it is) because I connect it to general decent. 

Anthracite_Impreza

Romantic because asexuality is a lack, so I don't really notice? Being mecha has much more of an impact on my life... The second, I had no idea since they're basically the same for me, being a Northern European white living in their ancestral native lands. I picked race ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whore*of*Mensa

Interesting poll...I'm definitely more romantic than sexual...It would be really interesting to see how much of AVEN is made up of sexuals...

Ethnicity and race...This is not an important part of my identity. Yes that is privilege -I think I might be seen as the 'default', my identity is safe and assured. 

My daughter is mixed race. I have some stories to tell about this but they are not mine to tell.

3 hours ago, Whore*of*Mensa said:

Interesting poll...I'm definitely more romantic than sexual...It would be really interesting to see how much of AVEN is made up of sexuals...

Do you mean those who identify more with their (a)sexuality? Because yeah, we have plenty of sexuals, though you can look to different polls for that (not sure which, though I don't believe the census is AVEN-specific). 

As I identify more as asexual rather than my romantic orientation, should I pick sexual orientation for first question. 

In the second, either ethnicity or neither. I don't use white as an identity but I will use irish as such in an Internet context. It seems pointless as such in an offline context unless someone asks me about it

Eh...... My orientations are the same so both. Though I typically wouldn’t use that to describe myself outside of AVEN. And I don’t feel any connection to being white (white privilege) so I guess ethnicity? I don’t think American is really an ethnicity but as an expat, my nationality is part of my identity. I don’t like being American but I can’t deny I’m foreign.

The influence of these factors on who I am as a person is negligible, so it's "neither" for me 

8 hours ago, iff said:

As I identify more as asexual rather than my romantic orientation, should I pick sexual orientation for first question. 

exactly.

Sexual as in Ace. Race/ethnicity: neither. I live in the US so ethnicity is just what someone told me, I don't have any more ethnicity than American IMO. Race? I appear to be caucasian but if i couldn't see I really wouldn't know what I am. I grew up in a major metro area so it all blends together to me...more of a culture than race.

Being raised mixed white/Hispanic in California, it is hard to identify with a race or ethnicity. It is just kinda... "normal" to me.

Being white European is fairly easy, asexual also, hard to identify with romantic orientation as it's sort of changed recently 

Janus the Fox

Neither for both, neither are personally important to me.

I identify as a Fox first hehe 😛

1. Both I guess.

2. Ethnicity. I think about things like having Irish ancestry, or having Dutch ancestors who lived in modern day New York City, or having a Czech great-grandfather, more than I think about being a light skinned person.

I didn't really know how to read the first question, I have none of them, so how to identify with not having them? I picked neither.

The second one, ethnicity, without a doubt. "Race" isn't even a word that's used here, everything is about origin if you're going to talk about it.

Ethnicity?? Meh... 

Mine has to be gender, so... ¯\ _(ツ)_/¯

Both to the first question, since they're the same, and both consist of having no interest. Ethnicity for the second one, since that includes some cultural stuff, but that's only marginally above 'neither'.

WanderingKate

I definitely identify more strongly with my romantic orientation. My aromanticism definitely shapes the way I see the world and the way I approach personal relationships more than my lack of a sex life :D I'm a relationship anarchist in the strongest sense, in that I don't value or delegate more time to my relationships than to my friendships, and I spend more time and have a stronger emotional connection with some friends than my partner. This has definitely impacted my lifestyle, and certainly has a lot to do with my aromanticism. 

I think I identify more with asexual than I do with whatever my romantic orientation is, mostly because I'm pretty certain of my asexuality and I can't say the same for my romantic orientation. I experience romantic attraction very infrequently but not never, so it's more of a grey area and harder to define. As for race and ethnicity, I went with ethnicity since I think it's made more of an impact on my life. Although I'm much more likely to define myself as Asian before narrowing it down to Chinese, I think that's mostly because my cultural experiences have been more pan-Asian than specifically Chinese (I have closer family connections in Thailand despite not being genetically Thai). Since I'm half-white and can pass fairly well, race isn't such a big deal to me in terms of how others treat me.

• 1 year later...

@crazy ace

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived