Asexual statistics - Denmark

TableForOne

While a small country, it may nonetheless interest some that a large study about sexual attitudes, orientation and identity (apparently the largest in the world) was just finished last month in Denmark.

It also contained a question about asexuality, more specifically in reply to the question: "How would you describe your sexual identity"):

In the report, asexuals make up a very small percentage of the population (0.23 percent of all respondents - or approximately 1 in 435)

Source: https://en.ssi.dk/news/news/2019/new-insights-into-sex-in-denmark

It is only an English summary, and the report is currently only in Danish. So you can either (if you are true connoisseur of masochistic self-flagellation) put the report into Google Translate... or you can keep reading this post.

Due to a quite impressive sample size (N = 62,675, this including responses from approximately 1.1 percent of the entire population of Denmark) it was possible to provide a breakdown of percentages of asexuals in several categories, as shown below:

Percentages (%):

• Male: 0.16
  • Female: 0.30
  • Age, male, 15-34: 0.2
  • Age, male, 35-54: 0.16
  • Age, male, 55+: 0.12
  • Age, female, 15-34: 0.55
  • Age, female, 35-54: 0.21
  • Age, female, 55+: 0.20

Cultural background

• Non-Muslim: 0.23
  • Muslim: 0.53

Marital status (based on public records):

• Single: 0.4
  • Married/registered partnership: 0.11
  • Divorced/separated: 0.21
  • Widowed: 0.06

Actual partnership status (self-reported):

• In a permanent relationship: 0.09
  • Single: 0.61

Gender identity (self-reported):

• Cis Male: 0.15
  • Trans Female (assigned male at birth): 2.59
  • Non Binary Male: 2.11
  • Cis Female: 0.27
  • Trans Male (assigned female at birth): 4.97
  • Non Binary Female: 3.92

So, to summarize:

The average prevalence of 0.23 % asexuals exhibits a range from 0.06 % (widowed) to 4.97 % (Trans Male ), or 3.8 times lower and 21.6 times higher than the average, respectively.

Unfortunately, due to the low general prevalence of asexuality in the study, it wasn't possible to include this group in the subsequent and more detailed cross-sectional analysis, as this would yield too few respondents in each category. Hey, don't blame me, blame the evil galactic gods of evil statistics.

Also keep in mind that study had significant drop-out rate (non-responses) at 65.4 % percent, with some even higher (older respondents and those with Muslim background in particular).

Anyway, I though it might have a modicum of interest to people here.

... and even if it hasn't, it has at least provided me with an excuse to use the word "modicum" in a post... Totally worth it.

Interesting, but not very conclusive.

They should include an "i am asexual" option in the census and see what comes up. 

This is really interesting, thanks for sharing! I'm a big fan of statistics, and it's great to see more being collected on asexuality as an orientation.

Archived