Identifying as Aro and Ace?

Glenster

Just out of curiosity, is there a single word that identifies someone as being both ace and aro? Most ppl just say that they're gay or straight etc and won't bother to mention being romantic bc that's what's expected. But for me, I also have to explain it's not just sexual attraction, but romantic attraction too. It'd be super nice if they're was just that one word to explain it all.

letusdeleteouraccounts

It would just be “ace” but the problem is that the majority of aces don’t have a romantic orientation that lines up with their sexual orientation. That’s why we aces state our romantic orientation alongside the fact that we’re ace, even if we’re also aro

maybeimamazed

If you say you’re asexual, people will presume you don’t experience romantic attraction either. Because separating those types of attraction is only a thing in the ace community.

But I understand your frustration. I wish I didn’t have to overlabel myself. In my opinion, our sexuality should be defined by our romantic attractions, because that’s what’s visible to society.

That’s another discussion though.

If you stick aro and ace together into one word, aroace, would that count?

5 hours ago, Laurann said:

I see aroace frequently on Twitter.

15 hours ago, Laurann said:

Thats def a thing but I don't know...it just sounds too separate- compounds,  amirite? Im talking more like one word being sasquatch or radish if that makes sense? 

On 11/23/2019 at 4:45 PM, maybeimamazed said:

If you say you’re asexual, people will presume you don’t experience romantic attraction either. Because separating those types of attraction is only a thing in the ace community.

That blew my mind just now. How has that never occured to me?? Im already starting to forget how to properly function.. 

Archived