Chloe88

UK elections - who also doesn't give a hoot?

Whore*of*Mensa

726 homeless people died on the streets last year. That's a 165% increase since austerity. 

In the last month, I've seen newspaper reports of 3 people who died in tents, in the cold weather, in my city. I probably walked past these people. Every morning on my way to work I see people lying in doorways, sleeping - two last Friday, one I see in the same place each day. Last Friday it was freezing and I saw a woman with a bottle of wine, at 930am. She looked as if she'd been out all night and she looked desperate, sadder than I have ever been (and I have been pretty sad). 

When I go back to work on Monday they could be dead. 

How can you say it doesn't matter what you vote? 

Labour promise to bring back the welfare state. They also promise to provide broadband for everyone. Tories scoff at this but Tories have brought in Universal Credit which you can only claim online. Maybe they just want all poor people to die so it'll be cheaper? Tories wonder how Labour will pay for a welfare state and for broadband - well, they're going to tax people. That's what has always happened in order to pay for a welfare state, so we can all live in a country where people don't freeze to death on the streets. 

I'm not rich but I will gladly pay more tax if it means I don't have to feel that guilt of walking past someone knowing they might freeze to death that night. It's a selfish thing, basically. I don't think I'm a good person but at least I am not a Tory who does not care if people live or die. I feel like the only way you could not care about this is a) you don't see it or realise how bad it is b) you don't realise that it could be you out on the street in winter....you're too lucky to realise it...let's hope it stays that way. 

• Like 4

Chloe88
13 hours ago, Whore*of*Mensa said:

How can you say it doesn't matter what you vote? 

Because who you vote for, or whether you sit at home and don't vote, the political parties etc, whatever or whoever they are, won't do anything anyway. I totally get it with trying to alleviate poverty by electing a good party/group. But do they really give a hoot? not at all! They piss and shit on as at will!

Too many people fall for the promises and they get really charged up and happy that they'll get free broadband, massive wage rises but these type of people are what the political parties need. They will get them to vote for them and then stick two fingers up at them. Will they fulfil their promises? ha ha, of course not!  In fact they probably laugh at the people who voted for them! (I do have a laugh at people who vote believing they are really being listened to and they are making a change!)

It's sad to see so many people get so badly conned.

• Like 1

Blaiddmelyn
50 minutes ago, Chloe88 said:

Because who you vote for, or whether you sit at home and don't vote, the political parties etc, whatever or whoever they are, won't do anything anyway. I totally get it with trying to alleviate poverty by electing a good party/group. But do they really give a hoot? not at all! They piss and shit on as at will!

Too many people fall for the promises and they get really charged up and happy that they'll get free broadband, massive wage rises but these type of people are what the political parties need. They will get them to vote for them and then stick two fingers up at them. Will they fulfil their promises? ha ha, of course not!  In fact they probably laugh at the people who voted for them! (I do have a laugh at people who vote believing they are really being listened to and they are making a change!)

But that does backfire on them of course. Look at the LibDems and the tuition fees. They crashed at the 2015 GE because people refused to believe anything they said after 2010, and effectively turned a 3 party system into a 2 party system.

And the fact of the matter is things do change depending on party and policy, including ones set out in manifesto.  Not necessarily to the extremes of everything for free but the Tory policies have had a noticeable effect. They ran on holding a Brexit referendum in 2015, we had one in 2016 and that's still going - which is the biggest one i can think of. And a lot of legal changes do get implemented. I see it a lot in my job. So the idea that they don't follow manifestos is not always correct.

• Like 3

Sea Lemon
15 hours ago, Whore*of*Mensa said:

Maybe they just want all poor people to die so it'll be cheaper?

Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. 

• Like 1

Whore*of*Mensa
12 hours ago, Chloe88 said:

I think there is a difference. One will build the welfare state, the other will continue to tear it down and for some people this isn't a game. Listen to Angela Rayner talk about the Sure Start centres that helped her get from a single mum who left school at age 16, pregnant and with no GCSEs, to an MP. She couldn't have done that if she'd been born a decade later. In my adult life, I've seen the difference between a Labour and a Conservative Govt and it is quite marked. 

Who cares what the political class think of the people who voted for them? What matters is what they do. I'm not a huge fan of Labour, but the country really is on its knees right now. 

• Like 3

Kimchi Peanut

f2YoyaL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 5

OptimisticPessimist

Did anyone get a letter thing from Conservatives. I assume it’s been sent to everyone. It said our address had been taken from voting register

Blaiddmelyn
3 minutes ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

Did anyone get a letter thing from Conservatives. I assume it’s been sent to everyone. It said our address had been taken from voting register

No. The Tories are being weirdly silent. The LibDems, on the other hand, keep sending me stuff. I almost miss the constituency being a safe seat (the news tell me we're now not a safe seat so I am being bombarded with pamphlets). 

• Like 1

OptimisticPessimist

^^
Maybe it’s a regional thing. It was basically vote for us. 

Anthracite_Impreza

The tories basically don't bother round here; it's gonna be either labour or brexit party.

timewarp

For those who do give a hoot - remember you need to have registered to vote by midnight TODAY.

• Like 4

timewarp
23 hours ago, timewarp said:

For those who do give a hoot - remember you need to have registered to vote by midnight TODAY.

Apparently no less than 660,000 people took their last chance to register yesterday. I had no idea just how popular and influential my posts are. :P

• Like 8

OptimisticPessimist

Got my postal vote today, along with more vote for me stuff.

• Like 2

Sea Lemon

FB-IMG-1574939787158.jpg

• Like 5

iff

But candidate X is only 99.23% what I want as my representative :(

• Like 2

Kimchi Peanut
On 11/25/2019 at 11:29 PM, OptimisticPessimist said:

No, but we’ve gotten loads of stuff from the Lib Dems. Splat’s not a member of any party (though will be voting Lib Dem) and I’m not eligible to vote so I have to assume they’re sending it to everyone in the area.

OptimisticPessimist

@Kimchi Peanut We've not had much from Lib dems but a lot from Labour and Conservative. 

I will not be voting Conservative, that's for sure. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/election-boris-johnson-articles-women-women-journalist-spectator-labour-a9221036.html

• Like 2

iff

In some constituencies, they put up paper candidates, candidates only for the purpose of appearing on the ballot. 

Skycaptain

BJ refused to appear on a Channel 4 leader's debate about climate change last night, so they replaced him with an ice sculpture 🤣 🤣. Now he's run whining to the media regulator, and is making threats about C4's licence to broadcast. 

He obviously has a very short memory, and forgets HIGNFY 

• Like 2

iff

Hmm, politician threatens to stop critical broadcaster from broadcasting because he refused to participate in a debate on it. I'm sure there is a word for this. 

• Like 4

fooledbysecrecy
On 11/21/2019 at 11:06 PM, ithaca said:

DoiLRfnUcAAXXsj.jpg

THIS!!!!!

i'm only one of those bloody eu immigrants so i can't vote, i absolutely would if i could tho! (and the main reason i want a british passport is to be able to vote in GEs but the cost of it, in this economy? no thanks)

i kept telling everyone at work to register & vote up to the point when people would just laugh/groan if i brought it up... 🙄 sure you might think your vote makes no difference (and i know in my constituency it most likely wouldn't, personally i'd prob vote green but it's quite a safe labour seat) BUT wasn't there a seat that went from tories to labour by something like 20 votes in the last election? (kensington chelsea fulham something??) so you never know, especially in the current situation.

this election is not about free broadband and such things, but probably the most important in our generation so please use your privilege and vote!! 🙏

• Like 3

Blitzentan
On 11/24/2019 at 11:26 PM, Whore*of*Mensa said:

I think there is a difference. One will build the welfare state, the other will continue to tear it down and for some people this isn't a game. Listen to Angela Rayner talk about the Sure Start centres that helped her get from a single mum who left school at age 16, pregnant and with no GCSEs, to an MP. She couldn't have done that if she'd been born a decade later. In my adult life, I've seen the difference between a Labour and a Conservative Govt and it is quite marked. 

Who cares what the political class think of the people who voted for them? What matters is what they do. I'm not a huge fan of Labour, but the country really is on its knees right now. 

The country is not (yet) on its knees - that was back in the 70s when Britain was running out of money and had to go to the IMF for a loan to keep going. The conditions the IMF imposed were Draconian - mortgage interest rates were in the 12% range.
https://www.ft.com/content/3b583050-d277-11e6-b06b-680c49b4b4c0

Whore*of*Mensa
12 minutes ago, Tanwen said:

The country is not (yet) on its knees - that was back in the 70s when Britain was running out of money and had to go to the IMF for a loan to keep going. The conditions the IMF imposed were Draconian - mortgage interest rates were in the 12% range.
https://www.ft.com/content/3b583050-d277-11e6-b06b-680c49b4b4c0

Obviously this was awful for home buyers and my heart goes out to them, but did anyone freeze to death on the streets in winter because they had nowhere else to go?

Whore*of*Mensa

I'm a single mother so please do not get me started on BJ the absent father...

23 hours ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

This literally makes my blood boil. I'm not sure I can even carry on living in this country if he gets elected as Prime Minister...

• Like 1

Acing It
On 11/21/2019 at 10:10 AM, Mz Terry said:

I will go out and vote, but am so disillusioned with politics.  Everything started to fall apart from the banking crisis on, Brexit, austerity etc.  No party represents my views, I have absolutely no idea who to vote for.  Labour are carrying on offering so many freebies it is ridiculous as it will have to be funded somehow, if they actually carry out what they are promising.  The Tories are so right wing and so harsh in their social policies they disgust me.  The LibDems are led by someone who is disturbingly happy to start a nuclear war it seems and their coalition with the Tories led to many harsh policies being passed.  The Greens have too many ill thought out policies on farming and various other issues.... 

I agree. I can't stand all the 'love talk' and lies anymore. I always switch to another channel when anything political comes on, especially the elections and Brexit. Nothing I can do about it anyway. As for your point on the liberals, labour appears to go completely the other way and get rid of everything (weapons I completely and utterly abhor btw) making us a soft target for all those countries with leaders who think that everything is a competition in machismo and a fight to the death. It all scares me tbh, the way things are going now. And apparently, changing your mind on anything and taking a different direction (not necessarily talking brexit here) is a sign of weakness rather than a sign of intelligence and wisdom. Sad.

• Like 1

Acing It
On 11/21/2019 at 1:50 PM, Guest said:

The "affordable" houses being built still aren't affordable to many and the quality of the builds is often poor. The easy pledge is targeting minimum wage to try and fob people off.

So true, this. Affordable housing where I live is decidedly only affordable if you're in a couple, you both work full time and you borrow up to the hilt. And this isn't even London. I think all these promises are just like a dirty old man luring you in with a bag of sweets. If you fall for that... sorry but that's those brexit lies all over again.

• Like 1

Acing It
On 11/21/2019 at 11:54 PM, Midland Tyke said:

If there is more than one option one should vote for the least worst. You may not want to call it 'best' but that's what it is. Voting IS important and I will do so. My vote will probably not change the outcome. But if enough people think the same way and get out and vote, it might.

The difficulty, as @Mz Terry hinted at, is knowing who the least worst is. I, for one, certainly haven't decided.

The problem is that, if the 'least worst' party then gets voted in, they think they're the bees knees. That's what the tories at least always seem to do, especially lately.

Whore*of*Mensa
9 minutes ago, Acing It said:

The problem is that, if the 'least worst' party then gets voted in, they think they're the bees knees. That's what the tories at least always seem to do, especially lately.

Well they didn't even get a majority and had to pay off the DUP to get in. Funny how there was a money tree for that...The Tories don't care much about whether they have a mandate. 

• Like 1

Acing It
On 11/24/2019 at 11:35 AM, Blaiddmelyn said:

But that does backfire on them of course. Look at the LibDems and the tuition fees. They crashed at the 2015 GE because people refused to believe anything they said after 2010, and effectively turned a 3 party system into a 2 party system.

(Finally found out how to collate quotes 🤣) And the tories were laughing their heads off no doubt. Theire ploy had worked, just like when the lib dems wanted a vote on the first past the post system and the tories managed to make it about first past the post and a never heard of 'niche system' that no one would want. (t*ssers) can you tell I'm fed up and angry 😀 They're very clever in undermining other parties so they win. I don't rate anyone who makes themself look big by manipulating or trampling on others.

11 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

BJ refused to appear on a Channel 4 leader's debate about climate change last night, so they replaced him with an ice sculpture 🤣 🤣

BJ? Blowjob??? 🤔

• Like 1

Skycaptain

@Acing It, Boris Johnson, otherwise known as the nastiest parts of Donald Trump, but with an intellect, so he actually means to be like this 

• Like 2