UK elections - who also doesn't give a hoot?

Chloe88

Whore*of*Mensa
2 hours ago, Tanwen said:

Not JUST homebuyers - as though somehow they were a section apart and less deserving, it was bad for everyone - and don't forget the interest rates applied to all financial areas, made loans expensive, industry struggled. Did people die from the cold - of course they did, even if they HAD a home, because as per usual those who suffer most in times of austerity are those least able to withstand it, and there were no 'Winter fuel payments' for pensioners to keep warm. Few homes had central heating and anyway at times power supplies were on a rolling programme of blackouts.
 Things may be bad - but believe me, they have been much worse.

Well, homebuyers are certainly a dying breed in these times we live in. Only the older generation own homes, or those lucky people who had inheritances or help to get on the 'property ladder'.

I agree things were probably worse then, yes. However, the general trend of the last century was that quality of life improved with each generation.  Average life expectancy has decreased  over the last 10 years. Not a resounding success of Government 

39 minutes ago, Tanwen said:

The 'Cold War' was   frightening at times - though we often joked about what we'd do if the 3 minute warning sounded. I vividly remember the Bay of Pigs affair, three nights when we went to bed not knowing if the bombs would start flying before we woke up next day. It was much later we learned that it was mainly due to the courage of a Russian submarine captain that the world did not end in a nuclear war

Interesting - what we learnt in school is that Khrushchev backed down during the stand off at the Cuban Missle Crisis that followed the Bay of Pigs (much to the chagrin of Castro). It wouldn't surprise me if the full picture was more complex though.

@michaeld, I have heard it said that the Russian missiles in Cuba weren't operational at that time, a major coup by US intelligence meant that Kennedy knew this, hence he could play hardball. 

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

I am entering this thread with the following position: I believe that not voting is just as legitimate a choice as voting for any particular party, BUT it is not an apolitical decision and has consequences for elections the same as any other action at this time. Hence I believe that people who choose not to vote should be just as informed as people who do vote, which preferably means learning about every last one of the people your decision may be either fucking over or benefitting. Some famous civil rights leaders are misunderstood as having fought for the right to vote, but they also can be found explaining that they also fought for the right to choose not to vote regardless. That's because unlike the common prejudiced view, anarchists are actually interested in politics and can be found in movements from the black panther party to the suffragettes, and being sceptical of what politicians promise is always a good starting point.

BUT it is a starting point only! Be sceptical of what politicians promise you by all means, but also be sceptical of those who are actually relying on non voters. Targeted ads used by all political parties in the UK, US and many other countries on social media are often focused on more apathetic voters as they can be more easily swayed, which is why I no longer consider not voting.

And WTF are those of you who think BROADBAND is the thing we're voting on doing on this planet!???? Climate change, disabled people in solitary confinement, reform of the gender recognition act to make it possible for the majority of trans people who do not "complete" transition in a way expected of them to have their gender recognised correctly in marriage, pushing back against the despicable actions of the home office against refugees on things like detention centres and the right to an appeal to any decision without being deported(seeing as theresa may changed the law so the uk now deports refugees to the middle of nowhere without any possessions or housing before expecting them to find a lawyer from THAT position to appeal)...having politicians in power who are less invested in going to war wherever they want to and more committed to increased social housing...bringing the many parts of the NHS which have been effectively privatised back in house and then ensuring that the funds it needs go to it and not private bodies...stopping brexit, let alone doing anything to make up for the repeated fucking over of irish people...stopping universal credit and all forms of benefits sanctions and pulling all private organisations out of the process for disabled people applying for benefits, going back to medical records as enough evidence...should I go on??? Or are you too middle class for empathy?

12 hours ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

And WTF are those of you who think BROADBAND is the thing we're voting on doing on this planet!????

ha ha ha ha, you're so right.

That is exactly the sort of shitty lies a lot of people will be falling over for, and all the other pathetic lies being peddled. 

Btw anyone want to chat about the results as they come in tomorrow evening (until we fall asleep that is, hehe). Last time our UK activism skype group turned into "let's watch the UK election". And if you want to stay on longer term for UK activism so much the better. 😛 (Though you can also remove yourself if not....) Any interest please make a post or PM me with your skype name.

Chrysocolla Dawn
On 11/23/2019 at 11:54 AM, OptimisticPessimist said:
On 11/22/2019 at 4:00 PM, Skycaptain said:

To me, the most important thing is people have died to ensure that others have the right to vote. Don't waste the privilege 

This. 

It's onea my pet peeves that this gets brought up so often. 
Chalk it up to abusive manipulative people in my life, but guilt tripping is a surefire way to make me do the exact opposite.
I don't know what you're specifically referring to about "people dying for my right to vote", as it could be so many things, but I asked them to do no such thing.

On 11/29/2019 at 12:21 PM, Sleighcaptain said:

@Acing It, Boris Johnson, otherwise known as the nastiest parts of Donald Trump, but with an intellect, so he actually means to be like this 

A perfect description of Boris Johnson, from what I see across the pond.

5 hours ago, Chrysocolla Dawn said:

but guilt tripping is a surefire way to make me do the exact opposite.

That seems like you're allowing yourself to be manipulated, except you're just doing the opposite of what they want you to do.  

1 hour ago, daveb said:

Not voting; that'll show them! :P 

If the turn-out was really low, say under 50%, then yes, it might just make a point

Chrysocolla Dawn
2 hours ago, daveb said:

Not voting; that'll show them! :P 

Voting; that'll show them! 😕

7 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

If the turn-out was really low, say under 50%, then yes, it might just make a point

It wouldn't make any specific point.  It would simply show that a number of potential voters declined to take the opportunity to make their voices heard.   There could be any number of reasons for that.  

Chrysocolla Dawn
2 hours ago, Sally said:

It wouldn't make any specific point.  It would simply show that a number of potential voters declined to take the opportunity to make their voices heard.   There could be any number of reasons for that.  

I disagree with the idea that they're "declining the opportunity to make their voices heard."  Some abstain for exactly that purpose, to be heard.

I don't know if it's different in the UK, but in the US conservatives like it when fewer people vote because that tends to favor them. On the other hand, recent elections in the US show that sometimes it just takes a few people to swing an election one way or the other. Not voting doesn't really accomplish anything other than to let other people decide for you. I'm not sure what message people think it sends or who cares. I'm not trying to convince anyone else to vote (that's their choice), but I will always vote.

7 hours ago, Chrysocolla Dawn said:

I disagree with the idea that they're "declining the opportunity to make their voices heard."  Some abstain for exactly that purpose, to be heard.

Uh...they can't be heard if they don't vote.  No vote means no voice.   Tell me exactly how Joe Smith's voice will be heard if he doesn't vote.   

Just now, Sally said:

Uh...they can't be heard if they don't vote.  No vote means no voice.   Tell me exactly how Joe Smith's voice will be heard if he doesn't vote -- because no one will know that he, Joe Smith, hasn't voted.   

Chrysocolla Dawn
7 hours ago, Sally said:

The people who run voting programs and analytics do take note of districts where voter turnout is lower.  They will know that your example person didn’t vote, along with others who share their mindset.

Midland Tyke’s example of very very low voter turnout would send a pretty strong message that people weren’t happy with the system.

59 minutes ago, Chrysocolla Dawn said:

The people who run voting programs and analytics do take note of districts where voter turnout is lower.  They will know that your example person didn’t vote, along with others who share their mindset.

Midland Tyke’s example of very very low voter turnout would send a pretty strong message that people weren’t happy with the system.

...Or that they were apathetic or quite happy with the current govt. If you don't vote, it could be for a myriad of reasons. You may have your own reason but unless you're asked specifically, nobody else knows what it is.

Chrysocolla Dawn
9 minutes ago, Blaiddmelyn said:

...Or that they were apathetic or quite happy with the current govt. If you don't vote, it could be for a myriad of reasons. You may have your own reason but unless you're asked specifically, nobody else knows what it is.

I can't disagree with that, it's definitely up to interpretation.

If people have died for the right to vote, well, I'm sorry to hear that. But does not mean I have to vote. People have died for many things - taking selfies, right to smoke, defending customs, defending practices.

So what?

2 hours ago, Chloe88 said:

If people have died for the right to vote, well, I'm sorry to hear that. But does not mean I have to vote. People have died for many things - taking selfies, right to smoke, defending customs, defending practices.

So what?

That's not a fair comparison. People have not died to give you the right to take a selfie. People have died taking selfies. That's like saying, "People died to end slavery" is the same as "People died testing 9V batteries on their tongue".

Not having the right to vote means not having any say, at all, in respect of your government and ultimately, the law and society. If you don't want to think for yourself and you're happy to be at the whim of an unaccountable government, then fair enough, be against the right to vote. But if you want to actually engage in the world you live in and feel better able to speak your mind then you'll want a society with a free right to vote.

My mum came from the Soviet Union and she was astonished at the Brexit vote. Said it was something that gave her faith in the UK. Because when she grew up, voting any way other than what the government wanted was a surefire way of getting punished. 

That's not to say you must vote. Do whatever you want, as long as you don't complain about the government or anything about the country afterwards, since you did nothing to try and change it. But don't mix up a freedom not to vote with the inability to vote. They're not the same thing by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes, those who do statistics can determine what the voting pattern was a particular geographical or demographical sector.

But those studies are not going to show whether John Jones as an individual voted  -- because that's not what they're interested in.  The political parties might want to do that in order to try to try to convince someone to vote a certain way.  But no, if you as an individual don't vote, that's not going to "send a signal" to anyone.   I wouldn't have any idea whether you voted or not.  

Just now, Sally said:

Yes, those who do statistics can determine what the voting pattern was a particular geographical or demographic sector.   The political parties might want to find out HOW you voted in order to try to try to convince someone to vote a certain way.  But no, if you as an individual DON'T vote, that's not going to "send a signal" to anyone, because your nonexistent vote will be voiceless.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have to be honest, if I were eligible to vote, I don't think I would, why? Because for as far back as I can recall, the system has been corrupt, sadly it's becoming even more corrupt, we're getting more politicians, all claiming a good wage, far, far higher than most of us will earn over any period in our lives, they push their beliefs on us, telling us what they want to, painting over the truth, they don't have a clue how the working classes survive, they couldn't even tell you the cost of a pint of milk, they hype everything for their benefit hoping that the public will believe their every word, blatantly lying most of the time, they are out to look after their own, the rich, they don't care for the general public and their points of view, we still have to pay their wages regardless, I lost all trust in politicians many years ago, I don't think they are worthy of my vote as I don't trust any of them.

As for affordable accommodation, I believe house prices should be capped, I'm ashamed to say that it's people of my age group that really set the greed ball rolling when it comes to extortionate house prices, moving every few months and making big profits from property, I just spent £75000 over the past 10 years renovating my house, the only house I've ever owned, it's bought and paid for, it's value on the property market, £45-50000, do I care? No because I bought my house to live in, not for profit 

Sadly a lot of people fall for the lies and will clap and cheer each time a politician opens his or her mouth to make a grand promise. 

5 hours ago, Chloe88 said:

Sadly a lot of people fall for the lies and will clap and cheer each time a politician opens his or her mouth to make a grand promise. 

Sadly I remember vividly back to when Maggie Thatcher was elected back in 1979 and I've witnessed the growth in greed and the increase in lies, I don't solely blame conservatives for this but the politicians are like a bunch of spoiled rich kids that bicker over anything, even when something sensible is suggested, just because that particular bunch didn't suggest it, Milliband and Corbyn recently have shown themselves up for this over the past few years, sometimes you have to agree with the good ideas, but sadly greed has brought this country down 

i admit  it to not understanding all about the eu, but that has shown us up for the laughing stock our respective leaders are supposed to be. I try to ignore these people in government as I feel I know as much as them and that ain't much 

• 4 months later...

For all the hopefuls and people who fell for the silly promises, believed all the fairy tales and rousing speeches and voted in the last election, now look at what a lousy government you have!

The systems needs people to believe the bullshit and lies, and to vote.

This is why I never vote.

Blaiddmelyn
5 hours ago, Chloe88 said:

For all the hopefuls and people who fell for the silly promises, believed all the fairy tales and rousing speeches and voted in the last election, now look at what a lousy government you have!

The systems needs people to believe the bullshit and lies, and to vote.

This is why I never vote.

So just to be clear, you really showed the Tory party by not voting and thus letting the Tory party in? You felt so strongly about how bad they are and you demonstrated it by doing nothing to stop them? And you feel so strongly about it that you're still, er, not going to try to change the government we have?

You don't have to vote if you don't want to but it's not a statement that you are unhappy with the status quo or the government. It's a statement that you're fine with it, and a statement that you're fortunate enough that government policies have little effect on you. 

Most people on this thread weren't Tory voters AFAIK anyway so this might be better aimed at people who did vote Tory. You're also assuming they're unhappy with the government - they may actually be very happy with everything the Tories have done and therefore very happy they voted. I didn't believe what the Tories said, hence why I didn't vote for them.

Archived