UK elections - who also doesn't give a hoot?

Chloe88

Whore*of*Mensa
12 hours ago, Chloe88 said:

Because who you vote for, or whether you sit at home and don't vote, the political parties etc, whatever or whoever they are, won't do anything anyway. I totally get it with trying to alleviate poverty by electing a good party/group. But do they really give a hoot? not at all! They piss and shit on as at will!

Too many people fall for the promises and they get really charged up and happy that they'll get free broadband, massive wage rises but these type of people are what the political parties need. They will get them to vote for them and then stick two fingers up at them. Will they fulfil their promises? ha ha, of course not!  In fact they probably laugh at the people who voted for them! (I do have a laugh at people who vote believing they are really being listened to and they are making a change!)

It's sad to see so many people get so badly conned.

I think there is a difference. One will build the welfare state, the other will continue to tear it down and for some people this isn't a game. Listen to Angela Rayner talk about the Sure Start centres that helped her get from a single mum who left school at age 16, pregnant and with no GCSEs, to an MP. She couldn't have done that if she'd been born a decade later. In my adult life, I've seen the difference between a Labour and a Conservative Govt and it is quite marked. 

Who cares what the political class think of the people who voted for them? What matters is what they do. I'm not a huge fan of Labour, but the country really is on its knees right now. 

3 minutes ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

Did anyone get a letter thing from Conservatives. I assume it’s been sent to everyone. It said our address had been taken from voting register

No. The Tories are being weirdly silent. The LibDems, on the other hand, keep sending me stuff. I almost miss the constituency being a safe seat (the news tell me we're now not a safe seat so I am being bombarded with pamphlets). 

Anthracite_Impreza

The tories basically don't bother round here; it's gonna be either labour or brexit party.

For those who do give a hoot - remember you need to have registered to vote by midnight TODAY.

23 hours ago, timewarp said:

For those who do give a hoot - remember you need to have registered to vote by midnight TODAY.

Apparently no less than 660,000 people took their last chance to register yesterday. I had no idea just how popular and influential my posts are. :P

But candidate X is only 99.23% what I want as my representative :(

On 11/25/2019 at 11:29 PM, OptimisticPessimist said:

Did anyone get a letter thing from Conservatives. I assume it’s been sent to everyone. It said our address had been taken from voting register

No, but we’ve gotten loads of stuff from the Lib Dems. Splat’s not a member of any party (though will be voting Lib Dem) and I’m not eligible to vote so I have to assume they’re sending it to everyone in the area.

In some constituencies, they put up paper candidates, candidates only for the purpose of appearing on the ballot. 

BJ refused to appear on a Channel 4 leader's debate about climate change last night, so they replaced him with an ice sculpture 🤣 🤣. Now he's run whining to the media regulator, and is making threats about C4's licence to broadcast. 

He obviously has a very short memory, and forgets HIGNFY 

Hmm, politician threatens to stop critical broadcaster from broadcasting because he refused to participate in a debate on it. I'm sure there is a word for this. 

fooledbysecrecy
On 11/21/2019 at 11:06 PM, ithaca said:

DoiLRfnUcAAXXsj.jpg

THIS!!!!!

i'm only one of those bloody eu immigrants so i can't vote, i absolutely would if i could tho! (and the main reason i want a british passport is to be able to vote in GEs but the cost of it, in this economy? no thanks)

i kept telling everyone at work to register & vote up to the point when people would just laugh/groan if i brought it up... 🙄 sure you might think your vote makes no difference (and i know in my constituency it most likely wouldn't, personally i'd prob vote green but it's quite a safe labour seat) BUT wasn't there a seat that went from tories to labour by something like 20 votes in the last election? (kensington chelsea fulham something??) so you never know, especially in the current situation.

this election is not about free broadband and such things, but probably the most important in our generation so please use your privilege and vote!! 🙏

On 11/24/2019 at 11:26 PM, Whore*of*Mensa said:

I think there is a difference. One will build the welfare state, the other will continue to tear it down and for some people this isn't a game. Listen to Angela Rayner talk about the Sure Start centres that helped her get from a single mum who left school at age 16, pregnant and with no GCSEs, to an MP. She couldn't have done that if she'd been born a decade later. In my adult life, I've seen the difference between a Labour and a Conservative Govt and it is quite marked. 

Who cares what the political class think of the people who voted for them? What matters is what they do. I'm not a huge fan of Labour, but the country really is on its knees right now. 

The country is not (yet) on its knees - that was back in the 70s when Britain was running out of money and had to go to the IMF for a loan to keep going. The conditions the IMF imposed were Draconian - mortgage interest rates were in the 12% range.
https://www.ft.com/content/3b583050-d277-11e6-b06b-680c49b4b4c0

Whore*of*Mensa
12 minutes ago, Tanwen said:

The country is not (yet) on its knees - that was back in the 70s when Britain was running out of money and had to go to the IMF for a loan to keep going. The conditions the IMF imposed were Draconian - mortgage interest rates were in the 12% range.
https://www.ft.com/content/3b583050-d277-11e6-b06b-680c49b4b4c0

Obviously this was awful for home buyers and my heart goes out to them, but did anyone freeze to death on the streets in winter because they had nowhere else to go?

Whore*of*Mensa

I'm a single mother so please do not get me started on BJ the absent father...

23 hours ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

This literally makes my blood boil. I'm not sure I can even carry on living in this country if he gets elected as Prime Minister...

On 11/21/2019 at 10:10 AM, Mz Terry said:

I will go out and vote, but am so disillusioned with politics.  Everything started to fall apart from the banking crisis on, Brexit, austerity etc.  No party represents my views, I have absolutely no idea who to vote for.  Labour are carrying on offering so many freebies it is ridiculous as it will have to be funded somehow, if they actually carry out what they are promising.  The Tories are so right wing and so harsh in their social policies they disgust me.  The LibDems are led by someone who is disturbingly happy to start a nuclear war it seems and their coalition with the Tories led to many harsh policies being passed.  The Greens have too many ill thought out policies on farming and various other issues.... 

I agree. I can't stand all the 'love talk' and lies anymore. I always switch to another channel when anything political comes on, especially the elections and Brexit. Nothing I can do about it anyway. As for your point on the liberals, labour appears to go completely the other way and get rid of everything (weapons I completely and utterly abhor btw) making us a soft target for all those countries with leaders who think that everything is a competition in machismo and a fight to the death. It all scares me tbh, the way things are going now. And apparently, changing your mind on anything and taking a different direction (not necessarily talking brexit here) is a sign of weakness rather than a sign of intelligence and wisdom. Sad.

On 11/21/2019 at 1:50 PM, Guest said:

The "affordable" houses being built still aren't affordable to many and the quality of the builds is often poor. The easy pledge is targeting minimum wage to try and fob people off.

So true, this. Affordable housing where I live is decidedly only affordable if you're in a couple, you both work full time and you borrow up to the hilt. And this isn't even London. I think all these promises are just like a dirty old man luring you in with a bag of sweets. If you fall for that... sorry but that's those brexit lies all over again.

On 11/21/2019 at 11:54 PM, Midland Tyke said:

If there is more than one option one should vote for the least worst. You may not want to call it 'best' but that's what it is. Voting IS important and I will do so. My vote will probably not change the outcome. But if enough people think the same way and get out and vote, it might.

The difficulty, as @Mz Terry hinted at, is knowing who the least worst is. I, for one, certainly haven't decided.

The problem is that, if the 'least worst' party then gets voted in, they think they're the bees knees. That's what the tories at least always seem to do, especially lately.

Whore*of*Mensa
9 minutes ago, Acing It said:

The problem is that, if the 'least worst' party then gets voted in, they think they're the bees knees. That's what the tories at least always seem to do, especially lately.

Well they didn't even get a majority and had to pay off the DUP to get in. Funny how there was a money tree for that...The Tories don't care much about whether they have a mandate. 

On 11/24/2019 at 11:35 AM, Blaiddmelyn said:

But that does backfire on them of course. Look at the LibDems and the tuition fees. They crashed at the 2015 GE because people refused to believe anything they said after 2010, and effectively turned a 3 party system into a 2 party system.

(Finally found out how to collate quotes 🤣) And the tories were laughing their heads off no doubt. Theire ploy had worked, just like when the lib dems wanted a vote on the first past the post system and the tories managed to make it about first past the post and a never heard of 'niche system' that no one would want. (t*ssers) can you tell I'm fed up and angry 😀 They're very clever in undermining other parties so they win. I don't rate anyone who makes themself look big by manipulating or trampling on others.

11 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

BJ refused to appear on a Channel 4 leader's debate about climate change last night, so they replaced him with an ice sculpture 🤣 🤣

BJ? Blowjob??? 🤔

@Acing It, Boris Johnson, otherwise known as the nastiest parts of Donald Trump, but with an intellect, so he actually means to be like this 

8 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

@Acing It, Boris Johnson, otherwise known as the nastiest parts of Donald Trump, but with an intellect, so he actually means to be like this 

I know, though I wouldn't put it that strongly, but he still didn't want to turn up for a debate last night and sent one of his stooges, who was quite rightly sent away, claiming channel 4 was in cahoots with labour. How lame and utterly manipulative.

Does anyone find it silly the way politicians roll up their shirt sleeves and tuck their tie in their shirt when they visit somewhere to look like they're hard at work and mucking in? It's all PR bumpf, and to think that some people fall for this...

14 hours ago, Acing It said:

that some people fall for this...

People fall for all sorts, they clap, cheer and stamp their feet in approval when politicians make promises which are all massive lies.

The whole system needs people exactly like this for "democracy" to work. 

I voted Lib Dem. I don't suppose they'll be elected, but then I'm voting in a safe labour seat anyway, so you could say what I vote doesn't matter pragmatically speaking. I might as well vote for the candidate or party with policies I most agree with, and in this election like the last one, that's the Lib Dems.

In response to an earlier point, I do hope they're not looking to start a nuclear war. Swinson doesn't exactly strike me as a warmonger. I don't know the actual quote, but I'm guessing what they actually said was that they would in principle use the nuclear deterrent if we were nuked first. Politicians often get asked this, and I think it would be irresponsible to answer in any other way: it wouldn't be much of a deterrent if we say we're not going to use it, even in retaliation.

6 hours ago, michaeld said:

Politicians often get asked this, and I think it would be irresponsible to answer in any other way

I don't want to make this a political argy bargie but i seem to remember that's exactly wht Corben did, which makes him a scary candidate for me. The nuclear deterrant, however loathsome, disgusting and awful, is there for a reason, unfortunately. There are too many people out there who are part of the problem (I guess you all know who) and I really feel it's not been this dangerous a world for a long time. Even the cold war felt safer (he says subjectively hahah).

20 minutes ago, Acing It said:

I don't want to make this a political argy bargie but i seem to remember that's exactly wht Corben did, which makes him a scary candidate for me. The nuclear deterrant, however loathsome, disgusting and awful, is there for a reason, unfortunately. There are too many people out there who are part of the problem (I guess you all know who) and I really feel it's not been this dangerous a world for a long time. Even the cold war felt safer (he says subjectively hahah).

In fairness Corbyn is in favour of unilateral nuclear disarmament so at least his position there is consistent. (Actually my recollection is he gave a non-commital answer to the question of whether he'd use nuclear weapons in retaliation, but that was a while ago.)

23 hours ago, Whore*of*Mensa said:

Obviously this was awful for home buyers and my heart goes out to them, but did anyone freeze to death on the streets in winter because they had nowhere else to go?

Not JUST homebuyers - as though somehow they were a section apart and less deserving, it was bad for everyone - and don't forget the interest rates applied to all financial areas, made loans expensive, industry struggled. Did people die from the cold - of course they did, even if they HAD a home, because as per usual those who suffer most in times of austerity are those least able to withstand it, and there were no 'Winter fuel payments' for pensioners to keep warm. Few homes had central heating and anyway at times power supplies were on a rolling programme of blackouts.
 Things may be bad - but believe me, they have been much worse.

9 minutes ago, michaeld said:

In fairness Corbyn is in favour of unilateral nuclear disarmament so at least his position there is consistent. (Actually my recollection is he gave a non-commital answer to the question of whether he'd use nuclear weapons in retaliation, but that was a while ago.)

If he disarmed unilaterally, then he wouldn't have any missiles to fire ;)

The 'Cold War' was   frightening at times - though we often joked about what we'd do if the 3 minute warning sounded. I vividly remember the Bay of Pigs affair, three nights when we went to bed not knowing if the bombs would start flying before we woke up next day. It was much later we learned that it was mainly due to the courage of a Russian submarine captain that the world did not end in a nuclear war - and survivors would experience a six-months 'nuclear' winter due to the dust thrown into the upper atmosphere.
I've red reports that the Trident missiles are a bit hit and miss. They're so expensive to fire that they're seldom tested and are as likely to hit a home country as the enemy
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/24/trident-misfire-spotlights-the-danger-of-fat-fingers-on-nuclear-buttons

Archived