UK elections - who also doesn't give a hoot?

Chloe88

We're being promised:

1. Free broadband

2. Cheaper housing

3. Lower taxes

4. Wage increases

5. Free dog nappies...

Ok the last one isn't true. 

Just want to share my opinion, frankly, I don't give a fuck but a lot of people fall for these "promises" and they actually vote! How gullible are some people! They fall for this shit every time but they get fuck all afterwards. How can people be so stupid time and time again?

They get really excited "I'm gonna get free broadband so I'm voting for X....." but why are people so thick that they fall for these?

To me, as someone totally uninterested, politics talk is everywhere, I can't escape it!

Uh. I care because it’s important? Why is it stupid to vote?

15 minutes ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

Uh. I care because it’s important? Why is it stupid to vote?

Because people never get the things the voted for, and voters always fall for lies. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe88 said:

Because people never get the things the voted for, and voters always fall for lies. 

So no one should vote? How would that help?

I will go out and vote, but am so disillusioned with politics.  Everything started to fall apart from the banking crisis on, Brexit, austerity etc.  No party represents my views, I have absolutely no idea who to vote for.  Labour are carrying on offering so many freebies it is ridiculous as it will have to be funded somehow, if they actually carry out what they are promising.  The Tories are so right wing and so harsh in their social policies they disgust me.  The LibDems are led by someone who is disturbingly happy to start a nuclear war it seems and their coalition with the Tories led to many harsh policies being passed.  The Greens have too many ill thought out policies on farming and various other issues.... 

3 minutes ago, Mz Terry said:

No party represents my views, I have absolutely no idea who to vote for.  Labour are carrying on offering so many freebies it is ridiculous 

Exactly.

They all rely on gullible people to do their bit, that is vote and then they stick up two fingers at the people who voted.

Phantasmal Fingers
3 hours ago, Chloe88 said:

We're being promised:

1. Free broadband

2. Cheaper housing

3. Lower taxes

4. Wage increases

5. Free dog nappies...

Ok the last one isn't true. 

Just want to share my opinion, frankly, I don't give a fuck but a lot of people fall for these "promises" and they actually vote! How gullible are some people! They fall for this shit every time but they get fuck all afterwards. How can people be so stupid time and time again?

They get really excited "I'm gonna get free broadband so I'm voting for X....." but why are people so thick that they fall for these?

To me, as someone totally uninterested, politics talk is everywhere, I can't escape it!

I agree.

3 hours ago, Chloe88 said:

Again, I agree.

3 hours ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

So no one should vote? How would that help?

It wouldn't.

There should be another box on the ballot paper in addition to the ones for the candidates who are standing, i.e. an option to abstain. If this was an option abstentions might just constitute the biggest percentage of votes cast! 😮 At the moment if you write on a ballot paper "None of these candidates represents my views" it is considered to be a spoilt ballot. Actually, it's an unrecognised protest vote. 😉

There should be a popular campaign for an abstention option. That might just concentrate a few minds... 

Promises to raise the minimum wage always annoys me because all that happens is it makes working conditions worse as employers find ways to cut the costs. Take flexibile contracts for example that supermarkets in particular are favouring now. Taken on for 16 hours p/w, expected to work full-time but then only paid 16 hours p/w holiday. I'm sure people are worse off in other respects too, such as working hours. Affordable housing is what the country needs given how extortionate it is but the government never has the balls to actually do anything about it. The "affordable" houses being built still aren't affordable to many and the quality of the builds is often poor. The easy pledge is targeting minimum wage to try and fob people off.

I don't trust any of the parties and am unlikely to vote in the coming election. I just don't support any of them. I'm at a point that I don't care which is in power because they're all equally as bad as each other.

Phantasmal Fingers
44 minutes ago, Invisible Man said:

I don't trust any of the parties and am unlikely to vote in the coming election. 

That's increasingly the case for a lot of people I think. A low turn out doesn't necessarily indicate voter apathy - it's more to do with a massive credibility gap between politicians and the public. 

Phantasmal Fingers
57 minutes ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

nearly all the people/parties who we can vote for are awful, 

Apart from...? 

Personally I'm quite a fan of most of what Labour, and to some extent the SNP, are proposing, and even though their manifestos seem very idealistic at first look, I would much rather vote for idealism than cruelty, which is what I see from the Tories. Though to be perfectly honest, I'd take almost any of the other parties over the Tories, I find them that reprehensible. 

I have also been trying to avoid the bulk of political news and conversations, but that's more fear and avoidance than apathy. 

I'm voting but am only sure about who I'm not voting for... But i think it's important, and you don't really understand the country unless you follow politics I find.

If there is more than one option one should vote for the least worst. You may not want to call it 'best' but that's what it is. Voting IS important and I will do so. My vote will probably not change the outcome. But if enough people think the same way and get out and vote, it might.

The difficulty, as @Mz Terry hinted at, is knowing who the least worst is. I, for one, certainly haven't decided.

10 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

If there is more than one option one should vote for the least worst. You may not want to call it 'best' but that's what it is. Voting IS important and I will do so. My vote will probably not change the outcome. But if enough people think the same way and get out and vote, it might.

As always it boils down to the voting system. First past the post really limits the options dramatically. In the German general elections we get a choice between currently 6 different parties, all of which have a realistic chance of getting into parliament. They are not necessarily much better than the British parties, but still it's easier to find the least worst option. In the last election I ended up voting for the Greens as the only party that hasn't completely lost the plot. Of course with the British voting system, for the majority of voters that would be a lost case as the Greens have very little chances in most seats. (Just to add - obviously you can't directly compare the German and British Greens, not least because Germany has no such thing as Brexit, so they have one contentious issue less to deal with.)

Tories = Brexit, can't vote for them 

Labour = Corbyn regards communism as not being regressive enough, and expects us to pay to be turned into a bankrupt banana Republic 

Libdems = remain should get my vote, but I have doubts about their spending plans 

Greens = budget out of fantasy land 

On 11/21/2019 at 1:50 PM, Invisible Man said:

. I'm at a point that I don't care which is in power because they're all equally as bad as each other.

Exactly!

To those who fall for the free kettle/ free broadband/ free toothbrush holder/ free coffee mug and believe what you are told, that's your choice and I hope you get what you are promised and the walk to the polling station is with the effort of putting your socks on.

8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Tories = Brexit, can't vote for them 

Labour = Corbyn regards communism as not being regressive enough, and expects us to pay to be turned into a bankrupt banana Republic 

Libdems = remain should get my vote, but I have doubts about their spending plans 

Greens = budget out of fantasy land 

Corbyn's budget is at least 'questionable' - not too sure how they intend funding all their promises. Building all the social housing is great in principle, but then those tennants will have the right to buy at a discount -- then we'll be back at the same place.

I don't support any party in particular - though I will be voting for out current MP because she honestly tries to do the best she can for her constituents. SHe's helped me a couple of times and she's fighting hard to retain our local hospital

@Tanwen, an MP who is actually fighting for their constituents is well worth voting for.

Was it Michael Buerk who stood as an independent MP on the campaign promise of saving the local hospital and won the election? 

Anthracite_Impreza

Out of the current bunch, I will only vote Labour. I don't think they're gonna be the best thing to ever happen, but I certainly think they're the best out of the rest.

And @Chloe88, unless you're willing to say to a voter's face that they're "thick", I suggest not saying it online either. I am not voting because I believe everything I'm told, or because I'm gullible or thick. I'm voting because to not do so would allow parties I do not trust at all and actively fucking despise *cough* Tories *cough* to weasel their way in. Since there really is only one conservative party in the race, the split between the rest could end up with the tories winning even though barely anyone actually voted for them (yay first past the post). Living in a poor, northern ex-mining village, the tories are literally the death of me and my "people"; as @ithaca said, consider yourself lucky you don't need to give a shit.

To me, the most important thing is people have died to ensure that others have the right to vote. Don't waste the privilege 

3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Tanwen, an MP who is actually fighting for their constituents is well worth voting for.

Was it Michael Buerk who stood as an independent MP on the campaign promise of saving the local hospital and won the election? 

Are you mixing up Richard Taylor who was elected as Kidderminster's MP on the save the hospital issue. And Martin Bell a BBC journalist who won Tatton against Neil Hamilton?

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

To me, the most important thing is people have died to ensure that others have the right to vote. Don't waste the privilege 

I don't care if other people don't vote, half my family don't either, but I do care about the outright accusation that voters are stupid, gullible and thick. Mostly we're trying to achieve something in the only legally sanctioned way we have (bar protest, which not everyone has the ability to do for many reasons).

@Midland Tyke, I was thinking of Martin Bell,

I just couldn't remember the name :P

@ithaca’s post sums up my thoughts. Must be nice...

Whore*of*Mensa

726 homeless people died on the streets last year. That's a 165% increase since austerity. 

In the last month, I've seen newspaper reports of 3 people who died in tents, in the cold weather, in my city. I probably walked past these people. Every morning on my way to work I see people lying in doorways, sleeping - two last Friday, one I see in the same place each day. Last Friday it was freezing and I saw a woman with a bottle of wine, at 930am. She looked as if she'd been out all night and she looked desperate, sadder than I have ever been (and I have been pretty sad). 

When I go back to work on Monday they could be dead. 

How can you say it doesn't matter what you vote? 

Labour promise to bring back the welfare state. They also promise to provide broadband for everyone. Tories scoff at this but Tories have brought in Universal Credit which you can only claim online. Maybe they just want all poor people to die so it'll be cheaper? Tories wonder how Labour will pay for a welfare state and for broadband - well, they're going to tax people. That's what has always happened in order to pay for a welfare state, so we can all live in a country where people don't freeze to death on the streets. 

I'm not rich but I will gladly pay more tax if it means I don't have to feel that guilt of walking past someone knowing they might freeze to death that night. It's a selfish thing, basically. I don't think I'm a good person but at least I am not a Tory who does not care if people live or die. I feel like the only way you could not care about this is a) you don't see it or realise how bad it is b) you don't realise that it could be you out on the street in winter....you're too lucky to realise it...let's hope it stays that way. 

13 hours ago, Whore*of*Mensa said:

How can you say it doesn't matter what you vote? 

Because who you vote for, or whether you sit at home and don't vote, the political parties etc, whatever or whoever they are, won't do anything anyway. I totally get it with trying to alleviate poverty by electing a good party/group. But do they really give a hoot? not at all! They piss and shit on as at will!

Too many people fall for the promises and they get really charged up and happy that they'll get free broadband, massive wage rises but these type of people are what the political parties need. They will get them to vote for them and then stick two fingers up at them. Will they fulfil their promises? ha ha, of course not!  In fact they probably laugh at the people who voted for them! (I do have a laugh at people who vote believing they are really being listened to and they are making a change!)

It's sad to see so many people get so badly conned.

50 minutes ago, Chloe88 said:

Because who you vote for, or whether you sit at home and don't vote, the political parties etc, whatever or whoever they are, won't do anything anyway. I totally get it with trying to alleviate poverty by electing a good party/group. But do they really give a hoot? not at all! They piss and shit on as at will!

Too many people fall for the promises and they get really charged up and happy that they'll get free broadband, massive wage rises but these type of people are what the political parties need. They will get them to vote for them and then stick two fingers up at them. Will they fulfil their promises? ha ha, of course not!  In fact they probably laugh at the people who voted for them! (I do have a laugh at people who vote believing they are really being listened to and they are making a change!)

It's sad to see so many people get so badly conned.

But that does backfire on them of course. Look at the LibDems and the tuition fees. They crashed at the 2015 GE because people refused to believe anything they said after 2010, and effectively turned a 3 party system into a 2 party system.

And the fact of the matter is things do change depending on party and policy, including ones set out in manifesto.  Not necessarily to the extremes of everything for free but the Tory policies have had a noticeable effect. They ran on holding a Brexit referendum in 2015, we had one in 2016 and that's still going - which is the biggest one i can think of. And a lot of legal changes do get implemented. I see it a lot in my job. So the idea that they don't follow manifestos is not always correct.

15 hours ago, Whore*of*Mensa said:

Maybe they just want all poor people to die so it'll be cheaper?

Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. 

Archived