More Than Two Human Sexes

Karst

If we skip the video, and look at academic research then the "third sex" hypothesis has a lot of merit. It provides an area for those who identify as intersex for myriad reasons, people with Y chromosomes yet have the entire female genitalia and can give birth to viable infants, and many others. There are numerous books on the subject citing 100s of peer-reviewed medical articles 

18 minutes ago, KrysLost said:

There are two biological sexes then a bunch of conditions that can occur. Tada. 

That is an interpretation not without merit. However, could the "bunch of conditions" not be described as the third sex, as we're taking about people who don't biologically, physically, chromosomally etc fit the binary hypothesis 

Anthracite_Impreza
40 minutes ago, KrysLost said:

There are two biological sexes then a bunch of conditions that can occur. Tada. 

They're only "conditions" because society decided they were, just like autism is considered a "defect" in today's society, instead of a difference. 

On 11/14/2019 at 3:00 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

They're only "conditions" because society decided they were, just like autism is considered a "defect" in today's society, instead of a difference. 

You are the only one insinuating they are defects just because they are called conditions (talking about the current thread not the world). Being out of the norm is not a bad thing nor do I imply it. It's not like you aren't correct but reducing stigma around the word condition might help for the future. (honestly i can tell writing this I'm going to get my head bitten off either way)

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, KrysLost said:

You are the only one insinuating they are defects just because they are called conditions (talking about the current thread not the world). Being out of the norm is not a bad thing norm do I imply it. It's not like you aren't correct but reducing stigma around the word condition might help for the future. (honestly i can tell writing this im going to get my head bitten off either way)

I'm not gonna bite your head off, I'm just saying that the only reason we don't call these other combinations "legitimate" sexes is because they're uncommon. There's no real reason they couldn't be considered sexes if we would stop thinking of uncommon things as "conditions" (which yes, has connotations of being a problem, there's no getting away from that).

Whether these can be considered as other sexes or not, assuming they are (or just acknowledging they exist and aren't intrinsically deleterious) could be a tool for greater non-binary visibility. 

On 11/14/2019 at 4:00 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Except they are a "defect". Autism is a failure in the brain while the 3rd+ sexes is a failure in the reproduction progress. They aren't what we human beings are naturally suppose to be and were grew to be like. These failures usually happens because mixing DNA is not a perfect procedure, due to every DNA strain being imperfect already in some way. However, there is a normalized. A base, so to say, of how a specie of animals live, thrive, and overall work.

And this is coming from an Autistic person. I understand that my mental disorder is a disorder but just because something doesn't work as intended doesn't mean it can't work at all and is just bad.

22 hours ago, Jusey1 said:

Except they are a "defect". Autism is a failure in the brain while the 3rd+ sexes is a failure in the reproduction progress. They aren't what we human beings are naturally suppose to be and were grew to be like. These failures usually happens because mixing DNA is not a perfect procedure, due to every DNA strain being imperfect already in some way. However, there is a normalized. A base, so to say, of how a specie of animals live, thrive, and overall work.

And this is coming from an Autistic person. I understand that my mental disorder is a disorder but just because something doesn't work as intended doesn't mean it can't work at all and is just bad.

From a biological standpoint, there's no such thing as what an individual is "naturally supposed to be".  That way of thinking is an artifact of pre-evolutionary theories.  There's only what helps that individual (and the species they belong to) survive and reproduce.

On 11/24/2019 at 6:28 PM, Iridium said:

From a biological standpoint, there's no such thing as what an individual is "naturally supposed to be".  That way of thinking is an artifact of pre-evolutionary theories.  There's only what helps that individual (and the species they belong to) survive and reproduce.

Not quite. I still believe in evolution as well as this. A new normal can be made if it was forced, but an old normal can always stay to some point. For example, we have body parts that are useless but may have had an use long time ago in an old normal but through evolution we have developed a new normal. However, here is a the thing. What is normal for any species is normal for survival reasons and usually having these failures, be it mental or physical would technically severely decrease our survivability and goes totally against why we have this normal and why we would follow it...

After-all, the number one goal of any species and evolution itself is normalizing the body for maximum survival chance. The problem is that the progress isn't perfect or is very limited, which is why some species has become extinct or is becoming extinct... They have flawed DNA that cannot adapt to what we humans are doing to the planet.

I think that while this is an informative video, there are still two sexes. The basic categories of reproduction, male and female, to continue life. I'd argue variations could be considered a form of defect if such a word had to be used. I don't think things like intersex are in themselves a whole new sex. 

Intersex people can have working reproductive systems, and some could even have both, so if anything, the myriad of options can add something, including for reproduction. But I don't know if it adds anything new enough to consider more sexes, or if we'd consider them fusions/mixes of sorts (or whatever's a good word). I'm not familiar enough with any stats to say what percentage there is for variances. Even without that, if a man or woman can't contribute to reproduction, they would still be their sex, even if they're 'defective' in terms of that side of things. Anyway, there's enough stuff that's relative that it's hard to say exactly.

Archived