Yokai? More like "Nokia"

Marrow

I'm not sorry for that joke in the title. So recently I've been reading about Yokai (I'm a sucker for the supernatural) and was shocked to see that there are so many of them. It seems like every possible thing is explained by Yokai activity. One thing I wanted ask those of you from Japan or who lived in Japan is this: Did Yokai at all play a big role in growing up or no?

Token reply from someone who technically qualifies but also very much doesn't:

Nope, not at all!

(To explain, I'm living in Japan. I've been here for over a year. I have never been to Japan before last summer and am not ethnically/racially Japanese.)

Lord Jade Cross

I think every culture more or less has had their version of something that cant be explained as being supernatural. From natural disasters to not knowing about a creature, people simply make up things to create some sense of understanding. 

38 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

I think every culture more or less has had their version of something that cant be explained as being supernatural. From natural disasters to not knowing about a creature, people simply make up things to create some sense of understanding. 

It's thought that the legend of the Cyclops arose from people finding mammoth bones and, not knowing what they were, coming to the conclusion that they were from giants.

Archived