Does Personality And Sexual Orientation Share Similarities?

Abigail Rose

Results of Personality and Sexuality Tests  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Did you take the Myers Briggs test?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If you did take the test, did you feel the results you received gave an accurate description of your personality?

• I did not take the test.
    • Yes
    • No
    • I prefer not to answer.
  3. 3. Did you learn anything about your personality that you felt you did not know previously?

• Yes, a lot.
    • Yes, but not much.
    • No
  4. 4. Did you take any of the sexual orientation tests?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. If you took the sexual orientation test, did you feel the results gave an accurate description of what you already felt you knew about your sexuality?

• Yes, very accurate.
    • Yes, somewhat.
    • No
  6. 6. If you took both of the tests, did you feel that the information was helpful?

• I did not take the tests.
    • Yes, I found similarities in both tests that are relevant to me.
    • Yes, but only the personality test.
    • Yes, but only the sexuality test.
    • No, I feel the answers were wrong or have no similarity to who I feel I am.
  7. 7. Did you feel, if you took these tests, that this was a poorly planned poll?

• Yes, the experiment is too broad or vague about what is being researched.
    • Yes, I feel this is a personal subject that people should not be questioned about.
    • No, but it made no difference for me.
    • No, this was an interesting experience.
  8. 8. Did the personality test give any insight into your sexual orientation?

• Yes
    • No
  9. 9. Did the sexuality tests give any insight into your personality traits?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Hello to all,

I am a curious sort. In my quest to find answers to questions about myself, I found a similarity about two very different test's I took. First, I took the Myers Briggs Personality Test which was developed by Katharine Cook Briggs and her daughter Isabel Briggs Myers. Carl Gustav Jung was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychoanalyst who founded analytical psychology. Jung's work was influential in the fields of psychiatry, anthropology, archaeology, literature, philosophy, and religious studies. Carl G Jung published Psychological Types in 1921. Briggs read the English translation (1923) and saw similarities between their ideas. However, Jung’s theories of personal difference were much more developed. Briggs and Myers thought Jung’s work was so useful that they wanted to make his ideas much more accessible. Myers spent the next twenty years formulating the questions and validating the MBTI instrument. It was first published in 1962.I took this test on a couple different sites and each time I got the same answer. INFJ. 

The next part of my quest for knowledge was a bit more difficult. I had known all my life that I did not see sexuality or physical attraction to other people in the same way as other people I knew. I wanted answers to a question I did not know how to ask. I knew I did not want to just start asking people close to me. I did not want to be judged or ridiculed for something I wasn't even sure was a real thing to be worried about. I found several tests that said they could help determine sexual orientation. I had nothing to lose by trying so I took a couple of them. The first test was the Kinsey Scale Test created primarily through the work of Dr Alfred Kinsey. Dr Alfred Charles Kinsey was an American biologist, professor of entomology and zoology, and sexologist who in 1947 founded the Institute for Sex Research at Indiana University, previously known as the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction. This was a good place to start, but it was too basic for the depth of knowledge I have been seeking. I took the time to look for as much information as possible that could better define and describe sexuality for me. I think it is important to note that I am not so worried about defining who I am through these research materials. I am interested in better understanding what other people's interpretations of their sexuality is and how that relates to me as an individual and on a larger social scale. What I found was that each test, while somewhat different from the last, had the same result. I kept being put in the Asexual class. Throughout my reading I found the term Demisexual. I have studied this term extensively. To date, this term has been the best way to describe what I feel. I felt a sort of relief and concern once I arrived at this conclusion. I had no idea what this meant for me. I certainly did not want to talk to friends about this too soon.

Now I have accepted what I found and actually feel the results are quite accurate. I have read a lot about INFJ's and Demisexuals. I started looking at both of these things in myself and became curious as to whether or not they go hand in hand with each other for more people and how would I find this out?  This post is to encourage others to take these tests as well if you are curious and see if you feel there are similarities. If so, perhaps you will even share your findings here. I only encourage this if you are comfortable with it. I also would love feedback on any likes or dislikes of my quest that anyone may wish to share. Below are some links to help anyone interested in trying this experiment get started. 

Meyers Briggs links:

Sexuality links:

https://www.allthetests.com/quiz31/quiz/1410463821/What-is-your-sexuality

https://www.idrlabs.com/sexual-orientation/test.php

https://uquiz.com/cNe9Eh/what-is-your-sexuality

https://lonerwolf.com/demisexual-test/

https://lonerwolf.com/asexuality-test/

https://lonerwolf.com/sapiosexual-test/

https://lonerwolf.com/pansexual-test/

MBTI is not a personality test that experts think is accurate. There are better alternatives.

Spoiler

Is your poll trying to research if there is a link between personality and orientation (I think there isn't)? Because I didn't see a question directed at that. There was no question going 'Did personality tests give you new insights into your orientation?' or 'Did orientation tests give you new insights into your personality?' 

In case you were planning to put up a poll with 'which MBTI type are you?', be aware that such polls already exist on AVEN. Introverts were more common than extraverts, but that's because this is the internet. You have to take that bias into account. Only a certain subsection of asexuals is active on AVEN.

Question 6: my answer would be 'no', because I don't think these tests actually tell you anything about yourself that you don't already know. They're sort of like horoscopes, just vague enough that you can always recognize yourself in the results, no matter who you are.

There was actually an experiment done with a personality test in which they gave all participants the exact same results, and they were all like "Wow, this is so me, so accurate!" While really, the results were not based on their answers in the test at all.

That said, greetings fellow INFJ 😉

INTP here

Personality tests describe me accurately, both the MBTI and the Big 5 which I took, but since I know myself I didn't need to get into it that much. Same for sexuality tests, I never even took one. Sexually, I believe personality does influence one's behaviour (obviously) but not one's biology. The science behind these things works, if you're secure with who you are. If not, can they help? Perhaps, and I can see why that would be a reason why people take these tests in the first place as they need something to identify with (that can be a dangerous path though, one must be careful not to lose who they actually are). I took the test because a friend recommended it to me, as he, as well as most people I know didn't take too long to notice that I am rather different and rare enough to appear unique to the naked eye. I know I am different, and somewhere deep inside I was happy to know I'm not alone. And sexuality was rather straight forward for me. I always knew who I was, I just didn't have a name for it until Asexuality came up. 

I have taken a meyers-briggs test in the past. I am an INFP.

I did take all of the sexuality tests that you linked and got the following results:

"What is Your sexuality?" - 40% ace, 30% gay, 20% bi, 10% straight

"Sexual orientation test" - 17.9% androphile, 35.7% gynophile (asexual)

"What is your sexuality?" (the second one) - Asexual

"Demisexual test" - 70 (demisexual)

"Asexuality test" - 70 (asexual)

"Sapiosexual test" - 45 (average score, probably not sapiosexual)

"Pansexual test" - 100 (pansexual)

I think the phrasing of some of the questions made for kind of skewed results for me. For example, I scored very high on the pan test because (a) I recognise that genitals ≠ gender, (b) if I were to date anyone, I would kinda prefer to date another trans person because of the common experiences implied in that, and (c) being ace, I don't feel like I have a reason to care what genitals my partner has. Also, the demisexual test asked a lot of questions to the effect of "are you ever sexually attracted to people you don't know well?" to which I would answer "no" because I'm not sexually attracted to anyone. However, since I experience aesthetic attraction primarily towards women/feminine-ish people and at one time thought I was a lesbian, I'm not surprised that homosexual/gynesexual was the most common secondary result after asexual.

5 hours ago, Silence4now said:

Myers Briggs Personality Test which was created by Carl Jung

MBTI was not created by Carl Jung, but by a mother-daughter duo of Katharine Briggs and Isabel Briggs Myers.

Anyways, as previously stated MBTI is inaccurate, but so are practically every other personality tests available.

That being said I am an INTJ and the description fits me quite well but I already knew everything it mentioned.

Regarding the sexual orientation quizzes,

I came out pretty solidly Asexual with a lean to heterosexual, probably because I am heteromantic

The Demisexual quiz I suspect is heavily flawed, as it put me under demisexual and I took it again pretending to answer with what a sexual person would answer, and it still called them demisexual.

The Pansexual quiz called me pansexual too, which is weird because while I could hypothetically if under the right circumstances have sex with a/for a girlfriend, I have no romantic interest in fellow males and could not see myself even in a hypothetical situation with one. So either it is not meant for asexuals, or it has some serious flaws.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the sapiosexal one, it put me as sapiosexual too. While I certainly do not feel like I am in any way sapiosexual I have noticed my romantic interest in people depends on personality and in particular their brain.

AceMissBehaving

I get ENFP on the personality tests pretty solidly. I find the description to be accurate, but I didn’t gain any new insight.

I found the wording on a few of the tests poor. The first one would ask about attraction meaning I think just sexual attraction? but I couldn’t be sure so I skipped it. The second Kinsey one I came out as asexual, and slightly gayer than the last few times I took it,

The Lonerwolf ones I found too over simplified to be of any use. I came out as a hard yes on all of them, even the demisexual one which I’m very much not. 

I almost always score INTP/INTJ on the Myers-Briggs (it appears I'm right on the cusp).

Sexual orientation test - 32% androphile, 34% gynophile (asexual)

Asexual Test - 95 (asexual)

Sapiosexual Test - 100 (sapiosexual)

As for the other sexuality tests, most had very poorly structured and/or leading questions - especially those along the lines of "have you ever been in love with someone of OO gender?" and then providing both the answers "yes" and "yes, but I had to get to know them first". The former statement obviously includes the latter, so the former should be more precisely phrased - "yes, and I didn't have to know them first" to provide a meaningful distinction. Similarly, questions such as "do you need to get to know someone before experiencing sexual attraction to them?" imply that the test taker experiences sexual attraction, making its analysis meaningless for an asexual who does not share the inferred premises. 

The sexuality tests made me realised how much I would love for there to be a comprehensive, precisely-phrased analysis test for different types sexuality in the style and level of detail as Myers-Briggs. I will say the Myers-Briggs has provided me a very accurate representation of my personality as well as new insights.

I adhere to many MBTI but there is no correlation between personality and sexuality / romantic identities.

You could be the most social person ever and AroAce or be like me (ambivert with hardly any friends) and be panromantic.

Just now, Moony's Boy Child said:

Or you could be a stereotypical aro ace like me who is an extreme introvert. :P

That too.

Myers Biggs I've never found accurate 

That all of the sexes thing I gave up after half a dozen questions where there was no accurate answer available 

Whore*of*Mensa

I always come out as INFJ on the Meyer Briggs test, It seems kind of accurate - but as @Laurann mentioned, I always think my horoscope is accurate too!

I scored Asexual on the tests, but some of them were very vague - just mentioning 'love' and 'attraction' which could mean different things to different people. I didn't understand what was meant by being in a 'solid' relationship either. I also scored 'yes' to everything on the lonerwolf tests! I don't think it told me much about myself overall. 

Always fun to take quizzes though! 

I do believe there is intersection between personality and asexuality, but indirectly because they both arise from the brain.

5 hours ago, Member114264 said:

I adhere to many MBTI but there is no correlation between personality and sexuality / romantic identities.

You could be the most social person ever and AroAce or be like me (ambivert with hardly any friends) and be panromantic.

5 hours ago, Moony's Boy Child said:

Or you could be a stereotypical aro ace like me who is an extreme introvert. :P

My best friend is an extrovert and she is aro ace lol

I score between INTP and INFP on most tests. Some might say since I am an introvert who is leaning on thinking over feeling, it would make sense that I am asexual but asexuality is a minority orientation so most INTP and INFP are not asexual in the first place. There is also not enough sample size of the population who identify as asexual to see if there is a correlation between personality and sexual/romantic orientation as well. 

I’m an INTP graysexual/bisexual. I suppose being me being an extreme introvert relates to me preferring to be single and celibate, but that’s about it.

I object to #6 option 3.

6) If you took both of the tests, did you feel that the information was helpful?

3) Yes, The results were of no surprise to me and I didn't learn anything new about myself. 

I found it was no surprise and I didn't learn anything new, therefore no, it wasn't helpful.

But aside from being torn between "No, it sucked" and "Yes, I learned nothing", I detest those sexuality tests. I only tried one you linked, so forgive me if they're not all like this, but it had the exact problem I ran into when I was trying to discover my asexuality. They only tell you what you think. They don't define anything, and you can easily answer all of them to confirm your own thoughts rather than discover what you truely feel, just by using other definitions of the words. The one I did I got 40% hetero, 40% bi, and 20% ace just because I am romantically attracted to men and aesthetically attracted to all genders. 

Edit: I take some of my objection back. That applied to the first quiz you linked. The second was better. I scored in the asexual quadrant, lol. There's a quadrant. 

Also, I scored a 65 as demi because of the loaded questions, but only 55 as an asexual because of the stereotypes? Shame. I'm not demi, for the record. 

23 hours ago, AceMissBehaving said:

I get ENFP on the personality tests pretty solidly. I find the description to be accurate, but I didn’t gain any new insight.

I found the wording on a few of the tests poor. The first one would ask about attraction meaning I think just sexual attraction? but I couldn’t be sure so I skipped it. The second Kinsey one I came out as asexual, and slightly gayer than the last few times I took it,

The Lonerwolf ones I found too over simplified to be of any use. I came out as a hard yes on all of them, even the demisexual one which I’m very much not. 

Ah, another maker of Extremely Not Funny Puns! It's weird that most of the AVENites (as far as I know) are I instead of E, because this is a website that has a lot of interaction with people.

I think that personality's weird thing in itself, because the Myers-Briggs test doesn't seem to factor in different conditions well, mental or physical, that could play a role in how we develop. The four letters you get, I think, are more of a base of your personality that different situations and circumstances iron out to make your real personality. That's why people can change but not really change.

Also, your orientation(s) get(s) weird, because there are different levels of different types of attractions, each with different specifics for each individual. Some people behave like the stereotype, some don't, but everyone's different.

Can the two have an effect on each other? Possibly.

AceMissBehaving
14 minutes ago, Duke Memphis said:

Ah, another maker of Extremely Not Funny Puns! It's weird that most of the AVENites (as far as I know) are I instead of E, because this is a website that has a lot of interaction with people.

Yesssss!!!!! I noticed that too when this comes up there’s a lot more I’s than E’s which I always found interesting.

Quizzes that determine your sexual orientation - never taken one or heard of them until this thread. I think that sounds like a stupid idea because it's your decision what labels you use on yourself, not some random internet quiz that probably isn't accurate and can easily be rigged to get certain results.

The best way to determine your sexuality is to read about them online and determine what labels fit you, and not take some unreliable quiz that tries to force a label onto you that may not fit you

I took two Myers Briggs tests, but on the one I got INTJ and the other ENTP, so something's off here :lol:

Whore*of*Mensa
On 11/14/2019 at 2:07 PM, Duke Memphis said:

It's weird that most of the AVENites (as far as I know) are I instead of E, because this is a website that has a lot of interaction with people.

You can be an extroverted introvert! I'm very sociable when in company and I'm sure a lot of people would say I am very much an extrovert, but I can't keep that up for long - if I have to be in company for more than a few hours without a break I get very stressed. Maybe that's why introverts like the internet - you can control the level of interaction and you can turn it off!

On 11/14/2019 at 2:07 PM, Duke Memphis said:

think that personality's weird thing in itself, because the Myers-Briggs test doesn't seem to factor in different conditions well, mental or physical, that could play a role in how we develop. The four letters you get, I think, are more of a base of your personality that different situations and circumstances iron out to make your real personality. That's why people can change but not really change.

I totally agree with this - I also thought my answer would be different to some questions (I can't remember which now) if I had more money (?!) The tests don't look at social factors and they influence us a lot. 

2 hours ago, Whore*of*Mensa said:

You can be an extroverted introvert! I'm very sociable when in company and I'm sure a lot of people would say I am very much an extrovert, but I can't keep that up for long - if I have to be in company for more than a few hours without a break I get very stressed. Maybe that's why introverts like the internet - you can control the level of interaction and you can turn it off!

What's funny is that ENFP is considered one of the most introverted extroverts. Honestly, I'm not the best at socializing, and I do like quite a bit of alone time, but I love being around people and having great conversation, so I consider myself an extrovert. I wouldn't quite say I'm an ambivert, though, because pretty much everyone needs and prefers a balance of alone time and social time.

Whore*of*Mensa
1 hour ago, Duke Memphis said:

What's funny is that ENFP is considered one of the most introverted extroverts. Honestly, I'm not the best at socializing, and I do like quite a bit of alone time, but I love being around people and having great conversation, so I consider myself an extrovert. I wouldn't quite say I'm an ambivert, though, because pretty much everyone needs and prefers a balance of alone time and social time.

It's an interesting topic I think, have you seen this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quiet-Power-Introverts-World-Talking/dp/0141029196/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=quiet+susan+cain&qid=1573919027&sr=8-1

I read the book and that's when I decided I was an introvert! Definitely true that everyone needs a balance of alone time and social time, it's more about which one gives you energy as I remember it. I tend to get more energy from being alone, and feel drained from being around people...But it is more of a sliding scale than an either/or thing.

I don't think there is any correlation between the two

And moreover if I started to talk in lenght about MBTI I would probably bore people here.

Just for short : there are widely different ways of talking about MBTI. The MBTI, as in online tests, do come from Katherine & Isabel Briggs. They greatly simplified Jung's work to make it ''usable'' may I see, however you should take into account that simplifying something usually means making it less precise.

I've been into MBTI for years now and Tests just don't cut it for me. How could you really analyze someone's personnality with an handful of question ? Besides, MBTI was originally focused on cognition : not whether or not you like people, prefer to stay inside or cry a lot.  (I'm exaggerating but sterotypes or descriptions sound like that somewhat)

I also don't like Letter Dichotomy. I think it's extremely restrective. How can someone be ''just'' a Thinker or a Feeler ? We all use both, it seems pointless to say the countrary. I find cognitive functions to be much more accurate than Letter Dichotomy ever was (again, that's just my opinion) and sadly tests rarely use CFs.

Last tip : 16personnalities (test you linked) is in my opinion one of the most inaccurate. For starters because it's not true MBTI, -T and -A have never been part of MBTI. They're just an added ''bonus'', because 16personnalities mix MBTI with the Big Five. Not that they tell you that on the 1st page...
Their descriptions are too broad, and the test will give you very different results based on your mood. But I think it should be safe to say that your cognition doesn't change every other minute just because you're tired or had a really good day does it ?

That said, about your first question.

Taking cognitive functions in account : I would still tend to say there are no corrélations between MBTI type & sexuality. If there were, chances are that people would associate high Se with active sexual people since it's about living in the present, focusing on concrete experiences & data brought to you through your 5 senses solely.
I'm a Se auxilary and I couldn't be more asexual though !

• 1 year later...

@Abigail Rose

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived