Powers of ten: the scale of the universe

michaeld

Anyone else seen this classic short film? We were shown it during physics class at secondary school. I only recently found it again, after randomly deciding to search for it online over 2 decades later. I think you can poke some holes in it, but I still love it! :wub:

Tagging physicists @Kelly, @Heart, @Strange-quark, @Siggy - apologies to the many physicists on here I've probably left out, and I should emphasise you don't need to be a physicist to enjoy this.

2 minutes ago, Strange-quark said:

*Blushes* Yeah we watched this at school. Yay for powers of ten! (Compared to, say, powers of one :P)

Powers of any-positive-number-apart-from-one would work (possibly in reverse)! I would suggest e as the canonical base, or possibly 2.

I saw that in college, and sometimes thought about it afterwards. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I remember it from when I was a kid, had the book as well.  Its the best way I've seen to try to explain the scale of the universe.

Another is that there are roughly as many planets in the universe as there are grains of sand in the Sahara desert.  (assuming as it no looks that the  number of planets and stars is similar)

Archived