What's the most useless thing you still have memorized?

CrazyCatLover

My sister and I used to compete over who memorized my parents' license plates the fastest. I don't know why. It became a thing where whenever we stayed at a hotel/motel and my parents needed the license plate number of the car, we'd go in to tell them so they wouldn't have to go outside and check. I currently have 4 license plate combinations memorized, and one backwards. My parents each got a new car since I moved out of the house and so I recognize those, but I don't have them memorized. 

She bragged to me once after going on a roadtrip with our church that she had the church van's license plate memorized, because I didn't know it still. Weird brag. 

They're useful for passwords, but that's about it. 

Around 2010 I read in a teen magazine that Justin Bieber was 164cm tall and that Orlando Bloom takes 2-minute showers to conserve water and environment. I've never been a fan of either. There's no explanation.

Also the basic stuff, song lyrics et cetera. And a lot of Eurovision trivia. And lyrics to Eurovision songs, obviously.

WobblyWallaby

I know almost all the state capitals, the preamble to the declaration of Independence, and a bunch of bad jokes.

DarkStormyKnight

Oh man I have just about every version of "You Need Me, I Don't Need You" by Ed Sheeran completely memorized from my younger fangirl days.

My first phone number from when I was 6

The first bus that I use to ride to school (9) and the last bus I rode to school before I graduated (23)

The serial code to the boiler chemicals that we use at work

The lyrics to multiple war songs

Various incomplete snippets of verse and song lyrics, such as:

"Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote"

"Half a league half a league,

half a league onward"

Just enough to get them lodged as ear worms, but not enough to be impressive or useful in anything but trivia quizzes where you might have to guess where a line of verse or quote comes from.

The "Our Father" (Lord's Prayer). My parents sent my siblings and I to kiddie Catholic lessons after Church as kids, had to memorize it for some reason and just never forgot how to do it since. Not particularly useful anymore since I'm a full on atheist and have been since my late high school years. Closest I ever came to applying it again was for a college Linguistics - History of English Language class when we had to recite it in Old English.

3 hours ago, daveb said:

"Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote"

Chaucer's Canterbury tales😀 We had to learn part of that one too for the Middle English section of the class. 

Grey-Ace Ventura

paradigm: universally recognized scientific achievements that for a time provide model problems and solutions to a community of practitioners

My Theory of Knowledge teacher made us all remember this and recite it for a grade

The lyrics to All Star-- though I don't think that's an impressive feat anymore.

The lyrics to 'Satisfied' from Hamilton-- marginally more impressive. Can't sing it as fast as Renee Elise Goldsberry, though.

Il faut avoir l'allure d'un mannequin et ignorer les hommes comme ils sont malades.

- my classmates and I wrote a play in French class and I think I'll have that line memorized forever because I rehearsed my lines over and over and over. For reference, it was a modernized version of a scene from Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme.

My schedule in Sixth Grade

- Band

- Math

- Art/Computer Skills/Health (changed throughout the year)

- Social Studies

- Study Hall

- Science

- English

(I had such a huge crush on a guy that I would look forward to the classes we had together and that was such a weird, love-struck, emotional chapter of my life that I cringe to think about it. Like, having crushes is normal but idolizing someone like that and someone becoming your number one priority to the point that you forget everything else is unhealthy)

This:

"One three double-0 six triple fiiiiiiiiiiiive~ O six."

If you live in Australia you can probably practically hear it in your head just by looking at it

5 minutes ago, Lunala said:

This:

"One three double-0 six triple fiiiiiiiiiiiive~ O six."

If you live in Australia you can probably practically hear it in your head just by looking at it

hahaha, why thanks for getting that stuck in my head :P Also, if you're old enough there's the old Lube Mobile ads too. I think that one was 13 13 32.

Twisted Tempest

Various little pointless facts and trivia. They will never be relevant to anything in every day life, but they will make you say "Huh..."

Also a phone number which I assume is fake, from an Australian comedy song from like the late 90s or early 00s. 

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2019 at 10:19 PM, Veezle said:

There was this YouTube poop I recall watching in 2009(?) that was just titled something like "KOOOOOOOOOOOOOKY" and I can still probably quote a good portion of it, lol.
(Sadly the video itself is no longer around)

I REMEMBER THIS YTP! IT WAS OF WOW WOW WUBBZY AND I REMEMBER SEEING IT ON YOUTUBE TOO! I HAVE LOOKED UP AND DOWN FOR THIS VIDEO AND I COULD NOT FIND IT

There was this YouTube poop I recall watching in 2009(?) that was just titled something like "KOOOOOOOOOOOOOKY" and I can still probably quote a good portion of it, lol.

I REMEMBER THIS YTP! IT WAS OF WOW WOW WUBBZY AND I REMEMBER SEEING IT ON YOUTUBE TOO! I HAVE LOOKED UP AND DOWN FOR THIS VIDEO AND I COULD NOT FIND IT

I FOUND IT 

SorryNotSorry

My great-grandmother's old phone number from before 1980, and the one she had it changed to after a bunch of kids in the housing project wouldn't stop crank-calling her (caller ID was still more than a decade away). And my old phone number after I inherited the family house.

Probably a couple of lines from Chaucer in the original language (Middle English). :P 

I still have muscle memory of video games 20-30 years old... I have a pretty bad memory for important things, but damn can I still play Red Alert or navigate an Unreal Tournament map in my sleep...

odifoisdgdfgsfg

Pretty much every Simpsons scene / dialogue up to around season 7.

Its basically a second language.

I'm sure I've forgotten loads of very useful and interesting stuff from high school science but I can still sing the periodic table. Which is neither useful nor interesting.

ElloryJaye

The sheer amount of useless stuff I have memorized would fill a medium-sized library.  Multiple prayers in both French and English (I'm an atheist).  Later verses of Christmas carols (mostly older religious ones).  Old commercial jingles from more than a quarter century ago (Fleecy fabric softener had one to the tune of the theme from the James Bond movie The Spy Who Loved Me, frex).  I can probably still recite all of Return of the Jedi, Star Trek IV, and the David Lynch Dune in time with the movies.  Prophecies from fantasy novels I read as a kid.  The postal code of my mother's hometown (which is nowhere near my own).  Some of the channel assignments from the cable TV setup we had when I was a kid.  And on and on.

Hey there Delilah and I'm Yours

All the type match ups in Pokemon

Purplegems3

Dates to Uninteresting Sleepovers & stuff like that

My first job, we used a system called COMPASS.

Complete Order Management Process to Achieve Sensational Service.

If anybody here knows the employer, I’ll be VERY impressed! 😁

AroAce Wolf

"The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multistage aerobic capacity test that progressively gets more difficult as it continues. The 20 meter pacer test will begin in 30 seconds. Line up at the start. The running speed starts slowly, but gets faster each minute after you hear this signal. *Dingaling*  A single lap should be completed each time you hear this sound. *Ring*  Remember to run in a straight line, and run as long as possible. The second time you fail to complete a lap before the sound, your test is over. The test will begin on the word start."

Gym class did this to me.

J. van Deijck

ICAO phonetic alphabet... wait. That one is useful sometimes :lol:

Archived