What's the most useless thing you still have memorized?

CrazyCatLover

CrazyCatLover

And don't you dare say "the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell!"

CrazyCatLover

One dark day in the middle of the night 
Two dead boys got up to fight. 
Back to back, they faced each other,
Drew their swords, and shot one another. 
A deaf policeman heard the shot,
And came a-running at a trot.
If you don't believe this lie is true,
Just ask the blind man -- he saw too.

How toothpicks are made.

Quite honestly the most boring thing in my mind too.

abandoned-account

There was this YouTube poop I recall watching in 2009(?) that was just titled something like "KOOOOOOOOOOOOOKY" and I can still probably quote a good portion of it, lol.
(Sadly the video itself is no longer around)

Though I'm sure that will come in handy any day now!

(Sorry for typing it over so many rows - I've remembered it in blocks of ten and this way it's easier to check :D)

The pokerap from Season 1 of the show. Turn it on and still like 10+ years later I know it all 💀

RoseGoesToYale

My bus number from kindergarten

Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta Echo Foxtrot Golf Hotel India Juliet Kilo Lima Mike November Oscar Papa Quebec Romeo Sierra Tango Uniform Victor Whiskey Xylophone Yankee Zulu

Also, basically all of The Lion King and most of The Emperor's New Groove

Anthracite_Impreza

Motacilla alba

It's the scientific name for the white wagtail, and though I know a fair few species names from being a dork, I have no idea why I remember that one in particular. I'm not really into passerines or anything 🤔

So many things...my grandma once called me a veritable font of useless information. I have so many random things memorized...old nursery rhymes, the origins of words and sayings, songs I learned for my grade school choir twenty years ago.

But possibly the most useless thing? The third of my three Latin phrases: Mi aricumbens anquilis abundant. My hovercraft is full of eels. 

Nearly all of the teaching ballads from the Dragonriders of Pern novels pre-The Masterharper of Pern.

On 11/12/2019 at 5:50 AM, Scottthespy said:

But possibly the most useless thing? The third of my three Latin phrases: Mi aricumbens anquilis abundant. My hovercraft is full of eels. 

Well you might want to travel to ancient rome and fail to purchase a matchbox. Who knows?

Most useless thing I remember? A song on how to apply skin cream.

Lady.Saturnina.94

For me, the most useless thing I still have memorized is something out of some encyclopedias from circa 1963; it is a grocery shopping list that is given to provide an example about how memory works. The list is:

Milk

Butter

Eggs

Bread

Steak

LETTUCE (capitalized on purpose; you're more likely to remember it)

Peas

Potatoes

Apples

Pudding

It's been years since I looked at that entry and I still remember it in the order given. I am not certain as to why. 🤷‍♀️

My social security number, and every single scene from all the years of Downton Abbey.

Random tank, car, gun, physics and maybe at a stretch computer facts that are almost completely useless. But hey, Its great fun to say things like "the leopard 2 was armed with the 120mm L44 rheinmetall cannon that could fire an Armour Piecing Fin stabilised discarding sabot round made from depleted uranium at 2400M/s capable of penetrating upwards of 400mm of kinetic protection such as rolled homogeneous steel armour plating"

494-8006 <--- The number used to connect to a text-only account with my first ISP. 🤢 I was running at 2400 bps for most of the time I had that thorn in my side, and had to log in at 300 bps if I wanted to print anything on a serial printer without overloading the print buffer.

My grandparents shopping bill from a trip to Tesco in 1979.

I only remember because the cashier had rung in a wrong amount, and it came to £21.83, rather than the £10.83 I'd made it. 

Even more uselessly the error was because that'd rung in a tin of peas as £11.11, rather than 11p

fooledbysecrecy

my brain is mostly full of old disney cartoon quotes and i could probably recite the entire comet in moominland film by heart. (all these in finnish tho as that's where i grew up) and i suppose that's why i can't store any new information these days. (although depression might play a little role in that too.)

RMI V UXG - radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, x rays, gamma rays. Also 20 or so digits of pi. 

For some reason back in Early 2018 I taught myself Morse Code while bored. / ... - .. .-.. .-.. / -.- -. --- .-- / .. - / ("Still know it")

Also the hundreds of time I get obsessed with random stuff, watch/read it on repeat over and over and get the entire thing stuck in my head to the point where I can just randomly recite it again and again.

Like that "He's A Tramp" song from Lady and The Tramp. I used to watch that on repeat for MONTHS until the disc got jammed in the DVD player and I tried to stick a knife into the disc and broke the DVD player thing. (It was this little screen thing with a slot on the side, sort of like an Ipad/TV thingy, not an actual Blu-Ray player or whatever you connect to the TV)

abandoned-account
10 hours ago, Sally said:

My social security number

That doesn’t seem useless to me. 

another thing I remember is just about every nook and cranny of several video games, such as Spyro: Year of the Dragon on PS1, as well as many cheat codes and strategies.

That Cheerleaders were worth 500 points in Zombies Ate My Neighbors - a surprisingly fun video game. The only one I've actually ever played.

Silly things like:

I think I shall never see a billboard

as lovely at a tree

Indeed, unless the billboard falls,

I may never see a tree at all

====

A Canner can can anything that he can

But a Canner can't can a can-can

Can he?

~Archie Campbell

The phone number we had when i was growing up. We have not had that number for over 20 years 

My childhood best friend's phone number.  

The Hey Dude theme song.  That state song.  "Alabama and Alaska Arizona Arkansas, California Colorado and Connecticut and more..."

Archived