Is it weird to not believe in the supernatural?

Crazycrazycultist

Crazycrazycultist

Ever since taking General Psychology and Psychology in general I noticed that out of everyone in the room, I'm the one who doesn't believe in ghosts, ESP, telekinesis, or anything like that. Now, I'm not talking about this to put people down. It's perfectly fine if you believe in ghosts. Many people do. In fact, I see why things like ghosts are so interesting to people. Hell, I even believed in ghosts as a kid.

But, please, I can't be the only one who thinks the evidence supporting the supernatural or anything else like that is...insubstantial to say the least? I was the only one in my class who apparently doesn't believe in that stuff and i kinda find that weird.

Is this common? I don't know which is more common, so, I'm afraid I can't speak on that.

I'm pretty sure most people think that the supernatural is fake.

I think most "evidence" of the supernatural is mistaking natural occurrences for supernatural occurrences because we don't always know what causes things. I think a lot of evidence is confirmation bias because the ghost hunter(s) already believe. And I believe that we tend to see patterns where there are none. The perfect trifecta for being wrong. 

Crazycrazycultist
7 minutes ago, crazy ace said:

I'm pretty sure most people think that the supernatural is fake.

Really? Because, I had a couple of classmates that seemed to be dead serious.

Some believe,some don't.  I don't, at all. No ghosts, no demons, no gods.  People are responsible for their own behavior.

If any of the above do exist, then I am very happy for them to make themselves known to me.

Crazycrazycultist
3 minutes ago, uhtred said:

Some believe,some don't.  I don't, at all. No ghosts, no demons, no gods.  People are responsible for their own behavior.

If any of the above do exist, then I am very happy for them to make themselves known to me.

I swear, if ghosts were actually real and I became one, I sure as shit wouldn't be some silent ghost! I'd make my presence known!

I'd also still use AVEN!

28 minutes ago, Crazycrazycultist said:

But, please, I can't be the only one who thinks the evidence supporting the supernatural or anything else like that is...insubstantial to say the least? I was the only one in my class who apparently doesn't believe in that stuff and i kinda find that weird.

I think most people think it's fake. It's just that once you've experienced stuff yourself you can't un-experience it. There's no explaining some of the things that people sometimes experience, and it's sad that they end up either having to deal with that in silence, or get mocked by everyone else if they talk about it, or called crazy 😕

BUT I totally understand how some people would not be able to believe in it though. If you've never experienced these kinds of things yourself, and automatically assume everyone who says they have had such an experience is a liar, a confused person, or having a psychiatric issue or whatever, then ..it stands to reason that there's actually no way you could believe :o

And of course, some people definitely believe blindly though with no actual experience to back their beliefs up, and yes some are definitely suffering from psychiatric issues or are very confused (like thinking noisy pipes are a ghost at night banging in the walls) and some outright lie for attention or financial gain. Those situations certainly don't help the people who have actually truly experienced the supernatural... they just make those with legitimate experiences look crazy or fraudulent as well!!! 

So yeah, I absolutely get why some people a absolutely could not believe in the supernatural. Not believing seems understandable to me given how many people lie about this stuff for attention or money or whatever. And if you haven't experienced it..what else would you have to go on? Nothing :o

47 minutes ago, Crazycrazycultist said:

Really? Because, I had a couple of classmates that seemed to be dead serious.

You'll have people be dead serious on all kinds of crap. It's 2019 and some people seriously believe that this planet is flat and that dinosaurs were invented 6000 years ago.

No. If anything I think it's odd when people believe things without evidence.

I mean there’s believing in ghosts and then there’s the horror movie rules of spooky goings on. If something weird and unsettling happens that you can’t explain do you stick around and figure out what it is and why it happens or do you leave ASAP and worry about it later and come to weird conclusions based on a lack of evidence? 

RoseGoesToYale

It's hard to say how many people actually believe in the supernatural, because even if you e.g. administered a survey gauging beliefs in the supernatural, people might not want to answer truthfully out of social stigma (confessing to a belief in anything supernatural can often get you labeled crazy or unintelligent). Others who have had supernatural experiences or are unsure if they have might be terrified of it and avoid the subject altogether.

Then there's the issue of figuring out what counts as a belief in the supernatural. For example, praying to an invisible life force every night is generally not regarded as supernatural, just religious/spiritual, but trying to contact the dead using a ouija board is. What makes one an act of spirituality and the other a paranormal experience? I'm sure many religious folks out there would object to their beliefs/rituals being deemed supernatural.

When it comes down to it, humans have been believing in things that either lack evidence or empirical explanation for a long time. The mind is an unusual thing. Sometimes it tricks us, sometimes we see what we want to see (and this is more common than anything, really), and sometimes it lacks sufficient capacity to understand a complex occurrence. But admitting to it is like admitting weakness in the eyes of society, so it's usually more common for people to say they don't believe.

@RoseGoesToYale has a point- it's hard to divide religious/spiritual beliefs or unusual scientific ideas from belief in the supernatural.  For example, I don't believe in ghosts or astrology, but I believe in God, and I think that alien life is probably out there somewhere in the universe.  Where does that leave me in the dichotomy?

SorryNotSorry

It must be my Asperger’s, but as much as I want to believe in the supernatural, I’ve always felt cut off from it while everyone else around me is attuned to it. Like when someone else is annoyed that I can’t just switch on my ESP and read their mind, or a group of people are mildly shocked when I can’t perceive some vibe or aura that they perceive as plain as day.

I personally don't believe in supernatural stuff. It seems cool but I believe there is always a logical explanation behind it.

One day I want to go to an astrologer and ask them to guess my zodiac sign. I'll make it clear that I'm a socially-awkward introvert who hates being the centre of attention and would rather work alone or at least be a follower than a leader, etc. Then without revealing my sign, they have to guess.

They will probably guess any sign that isn't Leo (which is my actual sign... but most of the Leo traits are the opposite of my actual personality.)

At least I'm not Scorpio because they are known for being obsessed with sex/getting sexually attracted to people... (I feel sorry for any ace Scorpios out there)

Crazycrazycultist
1 hour ago, Lunala said:

I personally don't believe in supernatural stuff. It seems cool but I believe there is always a logical explanation behind it.

One day I want to go to an astrologer and ask them to guess my zodiac sign. I'll make it clear that I'm a socially-awkward introvert who hates being the centre of attention and would rather work alone or at least be a follower than a leader, etc. Then without revealing my sign, they have to guess.

They will probably guess any sign that isn't Leo (which is my actual sign... but most of the Leo traits are the opposite of my actual personality.)

At least I'm not Scorpio because they are known for being obsessed with sex/getting sexually attracted to people... (I feel sorry for any ace Scorpios out there)

I don't know of anything like that associated with Libras. But, I don't know of many astrology stereotypes besides the Scorpio one.

Twisted Tempest

People believe what they believe. It's not weird if you do believe in the supernatural, and likewise it isn't weird if you don't believe in it. It is what it is. But whatever you do believe you shouldn't feel weird or ashamed for it. 

• 8 months later...
BodhranBace

It is not weird, it is logical. 

It could be they all agreed because they were in a class together (peer pressure), or they were all actors ;)  Or they didnt define what they meant by supernatural: religion or something else? And with people having such different life experiences, I wouldn't be surprised at all if some people did experience things like ESP, etc. I haven't, but I wouldn't be shocked if they do. But I would be shocked that they're shocked that I don't see auras, experience ESP, etc. You'd think if they see/know so much they would realize that there are people like me that don't experience what they do. And not be pissed off at me that I don't. If they want to be pissed off, blame my parental units, not me.

It's not unusual not to believe in things just because it's popular and/or there's no evidence. That being said, people believe in all sorts of crazy shit to begin with.

andreas1033

Op, you do know do you, that ants have no idea humans exist. There brain and mind has no conception, that we exist.

So, its very possible, that stuff that exists is beyond what we can perceive, or understand. But to answer your question op, knowledge is something you either have or do not on a subject. What you know, or believe will dictate what you think is possible.

Hollywood for example rubbishes supernatural, or occult ideas, to persuade people that these things do not exist. They do this, while all believing in them.

Thinking outside of the box is how humans progress. If no one thought different, humans would still be wild beasts.

Progress comes from doing things differently, and all people who think different, are the ones who shape the future, not the ones that are closed minded.

Archived