Accepted by your parents for who you are?

I wanna hear some of you guys stories where your parents and other family members were accepting your gender identity/sexual orientation, and were supportive? I’ve experienced some whom parents weren’t supportive or accepted them for who they were. But would really like to hear your experiences. I ask this because i love to see parents who accepts and loves  their children no matter what. My parents and my other family members were very supportive and accepting when i came out as aro/ace and gender fluid. And i hope that you guys have some accepting parents too. 

DuranDuranfan

Oh, I tried explaining my situation to my mom yesterday. Needless to say, it was rocky. I think my mom believes that gender is binary like biological sex, and that it’s not possible for people to identify in between or not identify with any gender at all. I don’t know about my dad, he seems more progressive because my husband and I have a friend who is binary trans and he accepts her. 

I told my husband in a way he’d understand because of his LDs and he still accepts me. My mom in law accepts me. It’s just my mom is having trouble with it.

My dad is just a confused accepting old man. He got so frustrated with himself whenever he noticed he was using the wrong name, it was kinda cute. He’s confused but he’s got the spirit. (I had painted my nails and he asked ‘Are you still gonna *nods to nails* when you’re a man?’ And like he wasn’t being mean. I just don’t think he really understands what it means to be trans. And he’s just real bad with words anyway.)

My sister followed me outside after I ran out after a few too many deadnaming and misgenderings (I think it was thanksgiving, could have been someone’s birthday. Point being there was a number of extended (adopted) family). I cried on her and she tried to comfort me. She’s called me her brother on her social media and for some reason it makes me feel so good. 

I never technically told my brother, my mom did (I’m not close to my bro) But like he’s chill with it apparently. 

My my mom is just confused and, like, four steps behind. 

No. Especially once I started T. Sorry I don't have a happy story with parents.

But my children --  really mainly the oldest, who is old enough to understand -- are wonderful. Children are just amazing sometimes, without the prejudices adults have learned.

My parents accept me, but they don't get it.

My dad is trying his best to understand though :) When I came out to him (obviously I was bawling my eyes out) all he knew to do was just hug me. He went out and looked for articles on non-binariness later. 

My mom says she accepts me no matter what, and she offered to go with me to an information evening for the gender team and stuff, but she still constantly addresses me with girl, lady etcetera. I will tell her that that hurts me at some point, but for now I'm not ready to shatter the 'I'm so accepting, perfect queer parent' image she has of herself. I still get far too emotional whenever this topic comes up. I don't want to just cry at her AGAIN. She's generally not super wiling to listen to me explaining just about anything, so I know it's going to be tough.

Janus the Fox

Slowly accepting I’d think, gone from rather losing a boy to “girls wear boys things to” to “I guess boys wearing girls clothes is the in thing now”

Staying closeted until I'm living half the world way.

I really don't know whether or not my dad would be understanding about it. I see no reason to explain myself to anyone, though. I think it's kind of funny to think about myself from an outside perspective because I will always be mysteriously single.

Archived