The MJ & Peter subplot made FFH less enjoyable

Artistic__Miles

Artistic__Miles

While I understand why it was included and think that they're cute together, Peter's whole focus on asking her out was so frustrating to me. Like FFH's a cool, action superhero movie, but it felt like I was watching a trashy romcom at times. I mean honestly, it's highschool, it really doesn't matter. I don't get why Peter was making such a big deal over a highschool crush. Teen relationships rarely last and shouldn't be taken so seriously. 

I thought that it was cute but at times it was a bit too much for me

This was one of the aspects that had me bored of the film, while I get there will be teen drama romance it almost felt like it romance AND THEN a hero movie. Also I dont know if I missed something but I felt like it was really rushed, I would understand if they went on the trip and got to know each other but it felt like yeah five years had passed and they were gone and now he likes her all of a sudden? I just did not see the growth, felt like Harry and Ginny in the movies, like where did this come from??

I didn't mind it, I do think their relationship is really cute, BUT I do think the movie would have been just fine without it. 

They're trying to attract the teen audience, and the typical teen feels like their romance is serious stuff.  There's some really fascinating brain studies that show the teenage brain reacts more strongly to emotions - like they give a kid, a teen, and a middle-aged adult a 10-dollar bill, and the emotion center of the teen brain lights up WAY MORE than the other 2.  So while teenage romances often don't last and aren't really that serious, they FEEL serious at that time.

It's based on the comic books. I enjoyed the movie a lot eventhough I do think it was purposefully a bit cheesey in parts to go with that genre of movie. I don't mind well made romcoms and this movie was well made. All romance/sex is like fantasy to me anyway, so what's real and what's cheesey as far as just that goes is sometimes hard for me to distinguish. 

8 hours ago, DistressedAro said:

I don't get why Peter was making such a big deal over a highschool crush. Teen relationships rarely last and shouldn't be taken so seriously. 

Well to be honest, if you're in high school, that's your whole world and it sure seems serious at the time. Not a big fan of this kind of dismissive statement, invalidating young people's experience and teen relationships isn't very cool imo.

7 hours ago, SpiderSquid said:

This was one of the aspects that had me bored of the film, while I get there will be teen drama romance it almost felt like it romance AND THEN a hero movie. 

I've seen people (specifically The Cosmonaut Variety Hour, good channel check it out!) describe it as a Summer Teen Drama and THEN a hero movie, and to be honest, not only do I agree, but I find it refreshing! A lot of Marvel movies (and boy do I love them) are very one-dimensional and often the relationships are a lot more rushed than that and sometimes less legitimate (Doctor Strange is a big oof, Thor, Hulk...).

I personally greatly enjoyed that romance, it was cute, not jammed in (like Black Panther, a point I made in a previous comment), and virtually non-sexual.

EDIT: However since you're aro yourself, it's very easy to understand why you wouldn't like it, just like I despise dumb sex scenes in movies, and that's valid too.

THANK YOU!!! It literally made no sense that he liked her anyway. They never even talked or had a proper conversation, it just came so outta left field.

Ugh it was just so annoying and it really ruined a lot of the experience for me. Maybe if they were friends, had talked and actually had chemistry together, it’d work, but since I saw literally none of that, it made no sense and just bugged me the whole time.

I liked the subplot but it was a bit too much for me. 

borderprincess

I'm another person who really enjoyed the subplot. Tbh, I think that's the cool thing with Spiderman - yes, he's a superhero, but there's also the school part of his life that he has to balance. Some of the most enjoyable parts of the new Spiderman for me have been his interactions in school. And I think they're super cute, and their romance is super cute. (Plus, Zendaya is really hot)

24 minutes ago, cbc said:

What's FFH? I'm old and/or culturally stupid. Google just gives me Fairfax Financial Holdings.

Edit: Yep, I'm culturally stupid. 😁

Far from home is my guess. 

Archived