• Excellent
    • very good
    • good
    • fair
    • bad
    • very bad
    • terrible

This poll is closed to new votes

No issues with either? Average I guess? I just said good, I guess.

Excellent with clocks, one glance and I know the time. Right and left on the other hand, I always have to think a second before I say it (I still picked very good since I don't have a "problem" with it, I just have to take a second), I'm much more inclined to say north/south/west/east, since those are proper directions, like a map, I know where I am, right and left is a bit more... abstract...

I go with only "very good" for the clocks because every now and again I mix up which side is which and reverse everything. It's rare, though, and when I don't do that I can (like, I assume, most people) read them at a glance.

Left/right... I'm mostly okay at, but if I have to reverse things or mirror them in my head it all falls apart. I am much better at left/right than east/west, though (indeed, the only way I can reliably remember which way is west is by picturing the map of Middle-earth in my head).

I don't have problems with either, but I used to have issues with both as a child. Clocks worked out as soon as my dad explained it in a more no-nonsense and less roundabout way than my preschool teacher.

I had a problem with left and right longer than most children. I had a breakthrough realized that I never had a problem differentiating the left-click attack and the right-click attack in Diablo II. I still think 'leftclick-rightclick' to this day.

• 4 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

there must be something about it :D

it took me a really long time to learn how to read hours from an analog clock. I also tend to confuse directions until today. 

• 4 months later...

In this digital age, I don't really see analog clocks anymore, so I'm great at the hours, but the minutes can sometimes mess me up.

But left from right? Dang girl, I got it!!

everywhere and nowhere

A little postscript: actually, currently I have a problem, and I'll write why.

In contrast to what @EverACE wrote, I still mostly use analog clocks. My watch is analog, and as for a wall clock, I too prefer an analog one (the only problem is that if it has a separate hand for seconds - in a quiet room you can realise how shockingly "loud" these are! You don't even notice them if you're talking or watching a film, but it would be very hard to fall asleep in such a room). I used to have a very ugly clock in the kitchen and I threw it out when preparing my apartment from the renovation (it lasted from mid Novemver to late January). I also had a clock I hardly noticed, probably because it was broken. ;) My mom took it and had it repaired. It's a very nice clock made from glazed earthenware - looks like a big decorative plate with clock hands. A lot of this kind of earthenware - white and painted with large, simple floral patterns, usually blue, brown and green* - was produced in Włocławek (I have a soft spot for this town because that's where my father was born; when I was a child, every summer I would spend at least two weeks at my granny's home and later, until she died, she at least came every year for Christmas and stayed at my place) and I had a lot of it. On the one hand I liked it, it's nice, traditional - and I just prefer a slightly old-fashioned home decor, on the other hand - you have to wash it from time to time** and it's horrible if you have 25 or so decorative pots on kitchen cupboards! So I just kept a few pieces and threw the rest away.

Anyway, the clock in white, painted in dark blue flowers, and when my mom took it to a clockmaker, she noticed another problem: due to the dark flowers the clock hands are not precisely visible. So she also asked the clockmaker, or maybe she and Bogdan (her husband) did it themselves, to paint the clock hands. They are now darker to stand out more, but it's still not enough. My mom told me that the clock shouldn't hang next to the stove, close to steam and oil, where I also could easily touch it and perhaps, with some dose of bad luck, knock it off the wall. So it's hanging in the kitchen corner, high up, above a tall open cupboard (by the way, it used to be brown, now it's white - years ago I have painted in myself :), and in the middle part there are very small drawers, also made of the same kind of glazed earthenware). I'm also a little short-sighted and I really have a bit of problem reading this clock because the hands are just not clearly visible, they blend with the painted flowers.

*Maybe just an example... I used to have a candleholder exactly like this:

fajans-WLOCLAWEK-swiecznik

**This is a screenshot from the game "Foxtail", which I, by the way, greatly recommend to anyone who enjoys retro adventure games:

foxtail-005.png

Notice this tiny decorative jug which is shaped like a fish with an open mouth. My Ukrainian teacher told me that there were tons of these jugs all over Soviet Union, just like Włocławek earthenware in Poland - and she hated these jugs because countless times she had to dust it... :lol:

Fair for clock faces but that’s more that they’re normally to far or high for me to see that well. I put good for right and left but I do this thing where I’ll say ‘right’ but I mean to say ‘left’ and vice versa.

Pretty decent with clock faces for the most part, but straight up terrible with right and left - even knowing that the left hand makes an 'L' doesn't help! 

Grey-Ace Ventura

No problem with clocks. Left and right never works out for me though. I'll hold up my left hand and go "this is right." I'm also ambidextrous so I can't really go off which hand I use for stuff.

No problem with clocks, but I'm very bad at left and right or east and west.

They say it's a feminine trait, so I'm pretty proud of this "flaw".

I can read analogue clocks unless the hands at the same length and with as each other Or they look too similar (you know those art type clocks) but I never had a problem with left and right.

Janus the Fox

Right and Left I always get mixed up on.

• 4 weeks later...
GingerRose

We spent one day in school learning about telling time, so...bad.

• 6 months later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived