• Excellent
    • very good
    • good
    • fair
    • bad
    • very bad
    • terrible

This poll is closed to new votes

the connection on the 2 questions is that in a recent episode of the BBc2 quiz show Only Connect, the host Victoria Coren Mitchell admitted that the answer to one of the connections in the second round (where you have to tell what is the last connection in it) didn't make sense to her as:

1: she can't read a clock face

2: she has difficulty with telling the difference between left and right.

This she has in common with me so i want to see how this compares to others

i sometimes get an analog clock mixed up but only because there arent many around where im at, its usually digital. but i have no issues with right and left even though when i first learned it was difficult for me until i learned the left hand looks like an "L" trick. 

Anthracite_Impreza

I'm getting increasingly bad at reading analogue, so I'll say fair. Never had any issues with left and right from my own perspective, not quite as quick from another.

No problems with either 

No problem with reading analogue clock face. Serious problems with left and right.

RoseGoesToYale

Never had an issue with left/right, but I legit had a problem reading clocks as a child, to the point where teachers started hating me for it. They'd ask me to read the clock and I'd just sit there staring at it and they'd say "Hurry up! What's wrong with you? You're 12 years old and you can't even read a clock?" which would make me nervous and then all the lines would start looking the same. Eventually it got fixed, but it takes me a few extra seconds.

Excellent at clocks, somewhere between good and very good with left/right. I tend to think in North/South/East/West versus left/right so I will often blurt out directions in cardinal directions versus relative directions (I'm really good at knowing my cardinal directions even in random situations, I have actually saved my family from getting lost more than once by being able to almost instinctively know which way North is), but when I force my mind to stop using cardinal directions I can pretty reliably get left/right.

I can read clocks just fine, but I often still have to extend my thumbs and forefingers on both hands to see which one makes an L. 

fooledbysecrecy
19 minutes ago, Snao van der Cone said:

I can read clocks just fine, but I often still have to extend my thumbs and forefingers on both hands to see which one makes an L. 

oh my god i've never realised that L thing!

anyway i'm good with clocks but left and right especially if giving directions sometimes get mixed up.

15 minutes ago, fooledbysecrecy said:

oh my god i've never realised that L thing!

It's how I was taught the difference, and I'm still using it 30+ years later. :P

I always have to think about East and West. North and South is easy, for some reason. Maybe because there is something of a N/S divide in my country, but not an E/W one.

no problems with either one

Sometimes it takes me a second but overall I’m good with both.

2 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

I always have to think about East and West. North and South is easy, for some reason. Maybe because there is something of a N/S divide in my country, but not an E/W one.

Maybe, because it's easier for me to think in terms of east and west. 

Anthracite_Impreza
2 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Same.

I'm good with analog clocks. I was actually shocked and horrified not all kids today can. We have analog clocks in school and sometimes kids still can't read them! 

But I suck at telling right from left. My brain just forgets the words. I'll be giving someone directions and be shaking my right hand saying "That way, go that way" because my brain won't say "right". Or someone will tell me right, I'll hear right, and my brain decides to go left. It's funny when I drive people the first time, it's frustrating the third or more time. 

I'm nearly perfect at telling my right and left, but I sometimes get slightly off when reading a regular clock and have to take some time to confirm when it is.

It takes me a moment on a analogue clock after the big hand gets past half-past the hour to work out the time. Not sure why but always had issue with that. 
My mum used to take the mic for me not being able to just glance and get it straight away. So i bought a backwards clock which is in my living room... she can't tell the time on it but i can, so i now get at least some satisfaction from that. 

I am pretty good with left and right, the only time i have to think is when i am doing treatments on the dogs at work, so if i have to give a dog some ear tx in it's right ear i have to turn so i am the same direction the dog is to just make sure i have the right side first haha. 

But yes, i have the same thing as Tyke with East and West.. I have to do the rhyme in my head first. 

5 hours ago, Lilsi said:

I have to do the rhyme in my head first. 

Never Eat Shredded Wheat?

16 hours ago, Snao van der Cone said:

That sounds very useful!  I still rely on my daily gradeschool training of reciting the American pledge of allegiance, which requires placing one's right hand over their heart. 

With the "left hand makes an L" thing, it depends on if you're looking at if palm side up or palm side down. :P 

I'm fine with telling time from an analog clock (except for some weird ones that work differently from clocks with hands or that don't have numbers or minute marks or have other oddities) and I'm fine with telling my right hand from my left (but sometimes take a second or 2 to tell right/left from someone else's perspective or in some other cases (mirrors, for example, or photos that get flipped)).

5 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Never Eat Shredded Wheat?

Yes or also:  Naughty Elephants Squirting Water. 

2 hours ago, daveb said:

With the "left hand makes an L" thing, it depends on if you're looking at if palm side up or palm side down. :P 

It also depends on "left" starting with an L, but since we live in English speaking societies with public education systems, both of those things can be taught at a young age. :P

rachelpenguin
13 hours ago, Lilsi said:

But yes, i have the same thing as Tyke with East and West.. I have to do the rhyme in my head first. 

Who doesn’t? I also still say “lefty loosey, righty tighty”. 

4 hours ago, Lilsi said:

Yes or also:  Naughty Elephants Squirting Water. 

I was taught Never Eat Soggy Waffles. 

I am excellent at reading clocks because all of the clocks at school are analog so I get a lot of practice. Left vs. Right, I’m really bad at. I was supposed to be left handed but my mom made me learn to write with my right hand instead. I automatically doing everything left except writing and using a scissors so then when people ask if something is right or left I freak out for a minute because I honestly don’t know. Even with the L trick. 

3 hours ago, Rach1234 said:

Who doesn’t? I also still say “lefty loosey, righty tighty”. 

How does that help?

rachelpenguin
5 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

How does that help?

When loosening/tightening screws respectively 😂

4 hours ago, Rach1234 said:

When loosening/tightening screws respectively 😂

Ah! Thank you!

everywhere and nowhere

No problems with either.

Btw, the mention of screws is interesting because I always forget which way are screws loosened and which way tightened. I'll try to remember the rhyme mentioned here. Of course, as a person living alone, I have to be able to do things such as using a screwdriver, hammer, drill...

rachelpenguin

I can tell left and right apart, but I’ll often say the wrong word when giving verbal instructions or directions to other people.

I’m fine with analogue clocks, but I find digital more difficult.

Archived