Smear tests could soon be a thing of the past

Ennis

as I've just heard on BBC radio 4. Here's the link if you don't trust my transcript and want to listen for yourselves. The topic starts at minute 8:28. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0009zbd

"Several papers cover the new procedure that could bring in urine tests rather than the standard smear tests for cervical cancer. That's the lead story in the Mirror and also the Mail. The Mirror says at the end of smear testing smear tests could be replaced by home urine check for cervical cancer. Scientists hope it will lead to more women getting screened after numbers fell to their lowest level since 1997. Experts believe the reason is many women find the invasive check unpleasant and embarrassing despite early detection increasing their chances of survival from a disease that kills almost a thousand women a year.

The test is potentially still at least a couple of years away but it's been unveiled at a cancer conference in Glasgow and was found to be 100% accurate at detecting invasive cervical cancer and 93% accurate at detecting pre-cancerous cells."

I think this would be great, especially for trans afabs, asexuals and "virgins". What do you think?

Luftschlosseule

Oh yes. As it happens, I just come from my smear test and it would be awesome if that could be arranged, if that works.

30 minutes ago, Jona Rhys said:

I think this would be great, especially for trans afabs, asexuals and "virgins". What do you think?

I'm all three of those things, and fuck yes. 

Honestly I was just going to not do pap smears and hope for the best... not having to do that would be good :) 

everywhere and nowhere

Pap smears are anyway not recommended for people who have never had sex. HPV accounts for 99% of cervical cancer cases, so if one has never had sex, the risk is so low that there's no need to do those tests.

I will anyway never ever let anyone see or touch my intimate parts. Just no. This is my personal property and it's my right not to let anyone onto my property.

Anthracite_Impreza

That's the only way I'm gonna do the test so yeah. Still pisses me off that they assume only women have cervixes though, so they better start getting their act together on that. Making trans people feel like they aren't included/misgendering causes me enough dysphoria I still wouldn't be able to have it done.

Anything which replaces an invasive procedure with a passive one has to be a good thing. 

Hopefully they'll be able to come up with equally uninvasive procedures for the comparable men's health concerns.  People of all genders die from avoiding painful or embarrassing tests.

That would be wonderful!  I have never had a pap smear because the one time I allowed someone to attempt it, it was unbearably painful.  I would love it if my GP recommended something else instead.

• 1 month later...

I'd much rather prefer this route honestly. Just like a poop sample beats the crap out of a colonoscopy, this urine sample beats the crap out of a full blown pap smear 🙂

Archived