Allure: "How This BoJack Horseman Character Helped Fans Come Out As Asexual"

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

Wait wait wait did I really find one before @Homer?!? For real! 

https://www.allure.com/story/aaron-paul-bojack-horseman-asexuality

25 October 2019

The actor also spoke to the show's asexual fans. His character, Todd Chavez, built an asexual community for himself on the show, and his fans did the same in real life. He tells BuzzFeed News that fans also say his character helped them come out as asexual. "I was so proud to represent that community," he says, "So many people came up to me, or have been coming up to me, since that come out, saying, 'I didn't know what I was. You have given me a community that I didn't even know existed,' which is just so heartbreaking, but also so beautiful, you know?"

Can I just thank Bojack Horseman for explaining asexuality well?  There are aces who are into romantic things and ones who aren't.  Todd is heteroromantic and that's cool.  The show doesn't call him broken (especially in a show where they focus on how broken a ton of characters are) or try to make fun of him for it, it's just...Todd.

I was surprised to see a mention in a fashion mag like Allure.

• 2 months later...
ThatGoofyGuy
On 11/3/2019 at 2:53 AM, Pumpkin Spice Eggnog Latte said:

Can I just thank Bojack Horseman for explaining asexuality well?  There are aces who are into romantic things and ones who aren't.  Todd is heteroromantic and that's cool.  The show doesn't call him broken (especially in a show where they focus on how broken a ton of characters are) or try to make fun of him for it, it's just...Todd.

Actually, Todd is probably the healthiest character of the show.

Bojack Horseman - Labeling Todd

Archived