How to know if I am Aromantic

Monsi

Hi everyone,

I have a question.  How do you know if you are Aromantic?

I've discovered a few years ago that I am asexual and have been open about it, which I am so happy to finally know.  But, today it got me thinking about my childhood to now, and noticed that besides having a lack of sexual attraction to any person, I have also not experienced any sense of "love" that goes beyond family context.  I have had feelings of admiration, want, and care for my family.  As for friends, I have a few that I want to take care as if they were my siblings, but nothing more as in a romantic relationship, it's always have been platonic.

So, how do you know if you are Aromantic?  Do you not feel a sense of desire to be with any person because they don't bring out a sensation of romance, like (generalized) asexuals with sexual attraction?  Is Romanticism only restricted to people outside of family context?  Or is it possible that throughout my whole two decades of life, I have just not found a "crush" to fantasize about?

I am so confused again.

Thank you

ChaoswithCake

Personally, I know I'm Aro because every time I've tried to date, I felt extremely anxious and uncomfortable about it. I've gone on dates and then realized that my feelings do not change in a different context. 

mirrorcle_world

For me, it's the lack of desire to be in a romantic relationship. I have had small crushes on people in the past, but the thought of actually dating them or being involved romantically felt odd to me. I just never felt comfortable with the idea of going past platonic relationships.

I try not to think about being incapable of romantic relations. I've just never had romantic inclinations. If I do have romantic inclinations, I will act on them. Until then, I try to not worry about whether I qualify for something. It is OK to identify.

maybeimamazed

I've never been in love in my 28 years of life. All I had were a handful of crushes back when I was a teenager. Dating bores me and stresses me out.

Archived