Neopronouns

This thread doesn't really seem active anymore, anyways, I just happened to think about pronouns, and looked around a bit on LGBTA Wiki. I can't really get myself to embrace most pronounsets there, but here's my take:

Ley went to the store.
I met lem today.
If ley doesn't get a haircut, ler hair grows long.
If I don't have a phone, my friend will let me borrow leirs.
Ley has to drive lemself to school.

How 's that sound?

Themed on "they" which lies pretty well in people's mouthes already since it's a default fallback and native to English, the only con being that you can't really distinguish between singular and plural; hence altered the starting letter, which should be a consonant and one that is easy to reduce for convienient speech (s, t, k, are not), "l" or "d" were great, "d" being maybe too close to the original, yet okay, both "l" and "d" being also coronal (made with the front part of your tounge), similar to the original "th" (which is apikodental), so it will be easy for people to adopt to existing phrases' prosody.

I really like the L-variant. Besides being coronal it actually is an extremely versatile phoneme, since you can produce it apikal, coronal or uni- or bilateral, that is with the right or left or both sides of your tounge, that should make it really perfect in terms of flow.

Janus the Fox

If a neopronoun feels natural to use to the person using it, that it is respected and used as appropriately.

’they’ for me feels natural, also ‘she’ or even ‘he’.  I’m at that spot of being in the middle of pronoun usage based on a mixed, feminine and neutral gender.  I don’t come across many if any people that use neopronouns in real life.

• 1 year later...

I digged this up as I looked for discussion on neopronouns, a concept unfamiliar to me.

Neopronouns as a concept feels foreign to me, while I do understand the point: wanting to find pronouns that suit oneself and are something else than he/she/they/it. And it might address the issue on that there is lacking with "true" genderneutral singular third person pronoun: "they" is also used to express plural people, making it susceptible to confusions, and "it" is usually seen as a pronoun that refers to non-persons. So hence, all this neopronoun talk might as well be accelerated development of language to find such a singular third person pronoun for the English language.

When I deal with people, I want to keep the mindset of "everyone has their own bubble of values and experiences" and "if I don't understand it, it doesn't need to mean I must reject it", but the plethora of neopronouns leaves me confused. I even encountered a Tumblr site where people post a variety of neopronouns, and... I can't quite wrap my head around it. People describing their gender as something that feels "leafy", hence promoting pronouns that are variants of the word "leaf". And other similar things. It feels very alien to me.

To understand this better, I curiously ask these things from the resident neopronoun users:

1. What are your pronouns?
2. Why those pronouns?
3. Why is it important for you to use those pronouns?
4. Does my hypothesis on the "finding true singular third person pronoun for the English language" sound right or wrong to you?

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
On 1/29/2021 at 10:36 AM, AavaMeri said:

I digged this up as I looked for discussion on neopronouns, a concept unfamiliar to me.

Neopronouns as a concept feels foreign to me, while I do understand the point: wanting to find pronouns that suit oneself and are something else than he/she/they/it. And it might address the issue on that there is lacking with "true" genderneutral singular third person pronoun: "they" is also used to express plural people, making it susceptible to confusions, and "it" is usually seen as a pronoun that refers to non-persons. So hence, all this neopronoun talk might as well be accelerated development of language to find such a singular third person pronoun for the English language.

When I deal with people, I want to keep the mindset of "everyone has their own bubble of values and experiences" and "if I don't understand it, it doesn't need to mean I must reject it", but the plethora of neopronouns leaves me confused. I even encountered a Tumblr site where people post a variety of neopronouns, and... I can't quite wrap my head around it. People describing their gender as something that feels "leafy", hence promoting pronouns that are variants of the word "leaf". And other similar things. It feels very alien to me.

To understand this better, I curiously ask these things from the resident neopronoun users:

2. Why those pronouns?
4. Does my hypothesis on the "finding true singular third person pronoun for the English language" sound right or wrong to you?

My pronouns are he/him but I’m currently trying nya/nyan. I chose the nya/nyan pronouns because I liked them, and I wanted something that would be catlike. For me it’s important to use them because I’m 95% sure I’m a Demiboy but I don’t really know what the non boy part is, so I chose a neopronoun that I liked and showed that the other part felt catlike to me. As for the hypothesis it makes sense to me but I can’t say if it’s right or wrong 

• Like 2
On 11/2/2019 at 11:17 PM, Serran said:

then if you try to discuss general trans issues if you mention pronouns and forget some when listing you can also offend.

Russian trans-inclusive groups usually use sth like s_he. (You can write sth like "he/she/they/... does sth") Or you can use "one" or "folk" or just "they" instead of listing

Anyway, I don't think most people will be offended since it's obviously impossible to include any single neopronoun set

• Like 1
On 1/29/2021 at 6:36 PM, AavaMeri said:

2. Why those pronouns?

1. ari/aires/aris/ariself

2. I were experimenting with neopronouns and just surprisingly discovered this set sounded wright

3. I wanted to find a pronoun what will sound like "something else" for me (not quite neutrous or androgynous, I wanted it to be "gendered" for my second gender (which isn't binary), actually, if it makes sense)

4. I don't think it's possible since different people prefer different pronouns, though I heard ne/nem were supposed to be used as a specifically non-binary one

• Like 1
Captain_Tass

Hi @SleuthArt

22 hours ago, SleuthArt said:

though that does have some meaning already in the community, probably

Yep, you're right on this one! Fae/faer pronouns are some of the more common and well established neopronouns out there, and they're quite beautiful! I had looked up how to use them a couple of days ago, just in case it ever came up, and I came across this post, which I found really helpful!

https://neopronounfaq.tumblr.com/post/185595241964/guide-to-faefaer-pronouns

Of course, you could continue using these pronouns in the form you currently use them! There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I just thought I would let you know, in case you didn't already!

P.S., I like your name!

• Like 2
nanogretchen4

When you meet someone who uses he, she, or they, you just need to remember a name and which of those pronouns it is. When someone has created a brand new unique pronoun, you have to stop for a grammar and vocabulary lesson that you might need to practice for several days before you consistently remember it and use it correctly. If you don't see that person again for awhile you will probably forget it since there is literally no other context in which to apply the grammar lesson. Everytime you see the person, it's like getting a pop quiz.

• 1 year later...
itsmeelysemarie

I'm at the point where I think I need to try neopronouns tbh cause there are times when they/them isn't neutral enough for me.

• Like 1